1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on Motor Swaps and ECUs (R1)

Discussion in 'General' started by Eck, Jun 28, 2022.

1. Eck

Eck Older, wiser, but still addicted to roadracing

Can anyone clarify something for me? I have a friend who blew a '15 R1 motor and the quickest way for him to get back on track (and make the Barber round this coming weekend) is to buy a '20 R1 motor. The basic motor is the same, as I understand it, but there are some big differences in terms of the intakes and other geometries.

What would be the impact of hooking that motor into a '15 ECU? Is that just a terrible idea and he should look for a '20 ECU/harness? Can the '15 ECU be "tuned" in some way via a flash (Woolich or FT, etc) to take into account the new bits?

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I cannot answer, but I would have posted this in the Tech section.

3. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

I don't know how much difference there is between the years.
    Have you considered installing the '20 motor, but with the original '15 harness, ECU and intake setup? This way will probably require some parts swapping.
    I do not know if the motor sensors are the same, but a quick parts list search for those items might give you the answer.
    (OR)
    You could email Woolich and ask them your question.

4. proprocket28

proprocket28 Well-Known Member

Best bet would be check with an experienced tuner for the '15 ECU. If that works, then the swap is fairly simple. Otherwise, you would need ECU/harness/airbox/throttle bodies and likely the dash. You could use that as an opportunity to get the GYTR race ECU/harness as well.

5. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

Not an R1 expert but from what I understand it's more involved than just an engine swap. The 2020 went to a full electronic throttle (no cables to throttle body or servo), so you would need at a minimum the throttle bodies and electronic throttle housing from the 2020. And then the ECU and harness on top of that.