1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Required RE: Racing Incident

Discussion in 'General' started by t500racer, Jun 23, 2022.

1. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Dam, heal up man.....sorry to hear.

AND Go-Get-Em!!!!

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Glad they seem to be taking this seriously and addressing it. I hate that 'outside' forces have to fix this with a minor. The parents should be the ones reigning him in, IMO.

But as long as it gets done, even if it means no more motorcycles for a while.

R Acree likes this.
  3. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

This is why you need to ride with your kids and if they get froggy you better put their ass into a bale and pull their riding privs for a bit. I started that at 5 years old for my son. (I didn’t punt him THAT hard)

4. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

There is nothing worse than a cunt A or AA guy who revs the shit out of his bike and yells behind you but then can't get past you. Fuck off! I am not crashing my bike or going off a ravine or off the trail because you can't get by me. I've wanted to kill a couple of them over the years. YOU are the talented pro rider that should be able to figure out how to get around me!

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

while i agree with much of what you say, and yes, the faster rider is the one that has to get past.. this is in part at least , the attitude that drives people crazy. It's not just go as fast as you can, all the time, anyone behind you be-damned. This is what gets people hurt. If more riders actually just rolled off the gas a tiny bit at some point, the fast guy gets past. And guess what ! YOU will likely GO FASTER having a carrot to chase. but alas.. many just argue "your the pro fast guy! you are behind me! it's up to YOU to get past ME no matter what!" .
    this is crazy talk...

the worst thing that happens in these offroad events, is when someone in front goes full bore, 100% all the time with zero understanding or regard for faster riders. I've seen both avenues, from those that wont' give an inch, and are full bore at every opportunity, to those that pull over so much they literally crash themselves trying to get out of the way. there's a happy medium, that makes everyone's race more enjoyable, from the passer, to the passee. Where everyone happens to be is up to them.

Wingnut, bpro and FastByKids like this.
  6. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Our regular AAs are very good at getting by, I've gotten so that I can recognize who it is by the sound of the motor and use of throttle. No need to look back, open up the tiniest hole and they are gone.

I recognized by ear the first two and I remember thinking, 'there's got to be another one' right before I got hit. The trail was plenty wide and I left plenty of room, hence my shock at being hit.

jksoft likes this.
  7. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I wonder if there's a picture of him in the race and he's wearing a camera on the helmet. It seems like everyone wears one now.

8. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Dude trust me I let them by and I have actually learned a lot by keeping them in my site. But again... I am not going to crash myself because that "so called" fast / pro rider is pissing a fit behind me.

stk0308 and MELK-MAN like this.
  9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

any AMA sanctioned offroad event, and most are to get the better insurance won't allow ANY helmet mounted cameras (some insanity that came after one person had a camera punch through a helmet in a crash). If an official sees it, you get dq'd. Many are chest mounting them now...

Past Glory likes this.
  10. Phl218

Phl218 .

:stupid:
    not in this house.

on a general scale , possibly

RRP likes this.
  11. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

The kid’s behavior is inexcusable and this kid sounds like a menace who badly needs to be straightened out.

But I don’t intend to minimize it or the importance of the responses that you have taken or that others have mentioned, by saying, after racing for about 50 years, with time comes perspective. I had lunch a couple weeks ago with a friend, a guy who cleaned me out and knocked me cold totally unnecessarily, to hold the lead in a motocross 40 years ago this season. He apologized, again, and we kind of laughed about it, again—he genuinely feels bad about succumbing to the red mist all those years ago. But we’ve been friends now for a long time, and crazy stuff can happen on a race track. I’m not saying you should try to befriend this idiot kid, just that people can learn and change given a chance.

Anyway, get this kid straightened out before he hurts someone else even worse.

12. Past Glory

It sounds like your friend owned the deed, apologized for it, and still feels bad about it over the course of time. That takes character. We'll see if the magazine guy has that level of character soon enough, I suppose.

YamahaRick, Banditracer and R Acree like this.
  13. t500racer

Received calls racers and someone with a bit more pull today confirming this is a long-running, ingrained pattern of behavior.

I was also advised against reaching out to the family, because the response would not be beneficial to me given my current state.

RichB and long path/road like this.
  14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I could've told you that from the fact that they haven't reached out to you.

Sudowoodo, stk0308 and tiggen like this.
  15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

What papa said. You can tell aa persons character when something like this happens. The fact the old man/family didnt say sorry, how are you, etc after this shows what douches they are.

If you have brush with someone on track you should go say hey, sorry....everything good etc....even if no contact just to clear the air. When someone does somehting questionable and then never shows...well it speaks volumes as far as I'm concerned.

Also I am checking to see if I can add some adult sized tar & feathers as I originally just ordered the child size kit. I knew i should have sprung for the family pack. I could sense it....

:D

16. t500racer

I always try to give humanity the benefit of the doubt. And I'm usually wrong.

17. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Screenshot_20220624-180422.png

Google search brings this up now.

Sudowoodo likes this.
  18. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Little off topic, but a couple of these recent posts reminded me of an incident involving a couple kids that fucked me up pretty bad. Chopper ride with a broken back among other injuries.

One of the kids dads stopped by the hospital to check up on me while I was recovering. His kid was one of the 2 that ran me over, resulting in injuries. Thing is, crash was entirely my fault :oops: crashed all by myself in front of them and left them nowhere to go. Sure it made for a shitty weekend for them but dad still stopped by with genuine concern. And one of the only things I remember from that day is lying face down in the grass with that kid kneeling beside me asking if I was ok and begging me to respond as I faded in and out of consciousness. The whole family were great folks who I remained friends with for awhile after and perfect examples for how kids should be raised. Kind of wonder what happened to them as he was a super talented rider but I just sort of stopped hearing about them one day after I had quit racing.

19. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

This is a bunch of bullshit. Typical of you to jump to the defense of the other guy by trying to place blame on the guy being passed.

Rebel635 likes this.
  20. Past Glory

Character. Taught, practiced.

tl1098, redtailracing and YamahaRick like this.