1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage tires question

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Norton 357, May 4, 2022.

1. DougBowie

DougBowie Well-Known Member

Charlie Young making it to 62 …?

2. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Rough Crowd.....:beer::flag:

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So on the original thread title - I would suggest using new tires made for your vintage bike.

5. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

Aww come on Sean. You mean I can't use those K 81s that have been in the barn for 40 yrs. :D

I guess the title wasn't exactly on point.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The title was fine, the issue is in my brain and how it processes things at times :D

Norton 357 likes this.
  7. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

We do stock the BT46SS in 90/90-18, 100/90-18 fronts and 110/80-18, 120/80-18 rears. These were supposed to be just to fill the gap in vintage sizes offered right now. Japan is looking into making more race compound to add to the CR11 (Classic Racing) lineup. Right now they are offered in 110 front and 150 rears.

The BT46SS are new biased ply tires with updated technology. They have a more rounded profile that helps with cornering also. When we started putting them on racebikes last summer, we started winning races with them. We also won championships. It seems, and updated sport tire is capable of more than an old technology race tire. We've all seen this over the years, compare 10 year old superbike slicks to todays street and trackday tires.

So, we will have these on hand and they are affordable. Let us know if we can help with anything.

8. Norton 357

That's good to know stick, those sizes would get us where we want to be. I should be able to discuss with my friend who is rebuilding the bike this weekend.

9. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I ran Stick bridgestones on the EX I raced.....battlax I think, dont recall sizes or compounds......I never had a problem.

They were the common race tire for the EX

10. Norton 357

That looks like the way to go because they have the sizes we want. I know a lot of fast guys run them.

11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

The Bridgestones will be plenty sticky for that Norton. If you're sliding the Norton on those 'Stones, two things are happening:
    1. The chassis is twisted like a pretzel, and
    2. You're one bad ass Mofo.

Cheers,

Dave

stickboy274 likes this.
  12. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

What he said ^^^^^^

13. Norton 357

Sounds good Stickboy.

I will be placing on order tomorrow.