1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Predator 3500 Issue

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Thunderace, Jun 21, 2022.

1. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

It's behind the panel on the same side as the oil fill. To test it, loosen the gas cap and try to start it. You may have to use some starter fluid to get it going.

2. malamute

malamute ARRA racer

Based on what youve said, you have spark, and "occasional poof out the exhaust", maybe a stuck open intake valve. I did not see you post how compression was @Kurlon mentioned.

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

If you put your finger over the spark plug hole and pull the starter, do you feel a noticeable bump from compression? I once had a 2 stroke that wouldn't run and this is how I figured it out. Once I popped of the head and cylinder, I found the ring was broken....no compression. In your case it could also be bent valves that would cause no compression?

You could also test with a compression gauge if you have one?

Edit: Looks like some others mentioned compression to, at least here you have an easy way to check that could work.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  4. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Those motors are super solid.

I doubt it is mechanical

5. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

UPDATE:

I ordered another coil from Harbor Freight in case that was the issue. Unfortunately, it will still not kick over. I verified it has spark as I got zapped on my hand trying to see it spark. I pulled the valve cover and the valves seem to be operating normally. I have to believe that there is something wrong in the electronics. If the carb is open, it's getting air. If the spark plug is firing, it's getting spark. I only need to add fuel to the equation and I should get combustion. Even when adding starting fluid right into the carb, it will not turn over the engine. I think it's time to give it to someone else to take a look at it and start looking at other options.

Has anyone ever had a generator serviced? Are these things like new TV's? Don't fix them, just buy a new one.....

6. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

Jim have you tried to spray some of that starting fluid after carb, straight into cylinder. Don’t be overzealous with it, you can hydro lock the the engine. Just stick straw into the boot (if there is one) that connects carb to the engine. This will eliminate carb completely, be careful you may get some backfire!

7. Thunderace

Yeah Bo, I've even sprayed a little through the spark plug hole. It is now beyond my skillset. I have a new 4500 Westinghouse being delivered today. This generator will go to someone that wants to tinker with it or have it for spare parts

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

It might be a timing issue in the sense that the woodruff key for the flywheel may have been sheared.

Saw it happen once, and for no apparent reason, on my FiL's riding mower. Had spark, had fuel, didn't have timing

9. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My SiL tells me that if I ever buy anything big (like a genny) at HF, to also get the 2 year warranty. Then, at 23 months, take it back and get a new one. Doesn't have to be broke and apparently you also get a new 2 year warranty so you can do this forever. Seems a bit weird to me...

10. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

Hey Jim don’t trash that thing apparently valve clearance is a big culprit for them not starting.
    It has been reported in the Facebook predator page…
    It’s an easy fix give it a shot don’t throw it out..

Boman Forklift likes this.
  11. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

Try taking the spark arrestor off also..

R/T Performance likes this.
  12. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Let me know if you give up on it. I could use a pull starter for one. I broke the one on my 2000 hour generator. I'll be running it for 3 weeks straight this month.

13. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

If you were closer I'd take it off your hands. Possible you will be at Pitt this weekend?

14. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

Did you take the psark arrestor out of the muffler?
    This is the main problem with these they get plugged can't get exhaust out won't run!

15. Thunderace

I am heading to Pitt-Race this coming weekend, but I was hoping to get a little something for it. Whether it be a parts source or if someone wants to tinker with it. PM me and we can team about it.

16. Thunderace

Yeah, spark arrestor was completely removed, still no go.

R/T Performance likes this.
  17. FastByKids

PM'd

Kids might need (gulp) tire warmers soon so this will be perfect if I can get errr running!

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

What size tires are they needing warmers for? I'm presuming little ninja's? Aren't those about the same as 125/Moriwaki tires?

Rob

19. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i've got a racer friend in LA Plata that's in need of one. if you give up on it and want to sell, i can send you his number.

20. FastByKids

17”
    110/70
    140/70