1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oldest date of Dunlop slick you would use?

Discussion in 'General' started by Gixxerguy855, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

I was given an unused 0585 Dunlop slick recently and the date is 1419. I have a day at COTA soon (level 3 pace) and I’m questioning whether or not to rail on this tire, would you?

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I would if you trust that the previous owner treated them nicely. I ran a set of Dunlop takeoffs from 2919 and 0219 back in March at a trackday. I bought/used the tires myself in '19 at an MA event and have stored them in my garage since then. They worked as expected.

3. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

That’s pretty much passed my limit; I like to stay at 2 years or newer. Personally, I’d pass on it.

4. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Unless you KNOW it was stored in the guys cool basement or something I'd pass. Tires are always cheaper than crashing.

5. Gixxerguy855

The tire is brand new/unused leftover stock. My mind says “no go” I’m not sure if I’m overthinking it.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What bike?

7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I'd ride the hell out of it and never question it. If you don't want it I'll take it haha

8. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

PB at PittRace is a low 1:48. Just last weekend, I took a brand new 2015 date code SC1 rear on track. Ran mid 49's on it without an issue.

Date code topic, like heat cycles, is largely blown out of proportion IMHO.

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Personally, not only would I run it, but I would send my kid out on it. I feel he had enough skill to dial it back if there was an issue, which I would not expect in a properly stored 3 year old tire.

Having said that, if I’m paying full boat at the track, I don’t want to be purchasing 3 year old meats.

G 97, TurboBlew and Gixxerguy855 like this.
  10. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Ari Henning with Revzilla released a video on just this topic this year and if I recall he ran 5 year old tires against the same tire that was fresh outta the oven.

Result: No difference at all in lap time or feel - he was floored and was a convert, as was I because I always thought older than 2-3 years old was a hard pass from me.

IMO - 3 year old Dunny's - I'd run em all day with confidence.

11. Gixxerguy855

S1000rr

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

no!

Steeltoe likes this.
  13. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Similar here....Recently ran last years rubber/Dunlop slicks on my RSV4 that had a trackday on it from 10 months prior. Stored on my bike, in a cold garage during the winter.....O degrees or below in the garage at times during the winter.

I was within .5 secs of my personal best of :14.4 at Putnam.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Unused tires... yeap no issue. Takeoffs yeah... no way would I bother.

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  15. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Unused, Bridgestone has always said 5 years is the cutoff. They aren't bad then, but it's an easy number to remember. Thinking a tire over 2 years old is bad is some internet scare tactic stuff. This is based on the idea it's been stored properly.

A tire that's been run, and sat for 2 years, nope. I would say throw that out.

We still focus on rotating our stock. First in, first out.

G2G and MELK-MAN like this.
  16. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

You are.

17. G 97

G 97 Garth

As has already been stated, I would run it. You will know in a couple of laps just what the tire is giving you and after the first session you’ll have a good idea about how it’s wearing. As always, simply take what the tire is giving you and you will be fine.

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  18. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

And even my comparison was a bit of an unfair one, as my PB was done on a SC0, not a SC1. I feel after 10 years in the sport I'm pretty in tune with bike feedback, especially on my R6 that I have a lap or two on...and I couldn't have been able to tell you it was a 7 year old tire. I can tell you when a front is nearing the end of its life, as I feel it pushes a good bit through T1/T2 at PittRace, among other places. But the old SC1 rear? No idea [from a feedback perspective].

19. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Saving money on tires can be the most costly decision you make.

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  20. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

"Rotating your stock". I see what you did there...

stickboy274 likes this.