1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA is very good for vintage

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by dave3593, Jun 14, 2022.

1. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I am not going to mention other organizations by name but there are some clear advantages to racing WERA vintage classes.

Most WERA classes are by bike configuration. This makes the classes very inclusive. Some organizations classes have a bike list for some popular classes and if you are not in the bike list, you don't run. I have tried and NO EXCEPTIONS even if your bike should be in the group.

WERA appears to have more flexibility as to tires and rims than some other organizations. I prefer the best rubber possible.

WERA is more open to bike set up for attributes that are not as important. One organization requires original fairing or reproductions. For many bikes that means finding overpriced beat up eBay stuff or nothing.

WERA has this forum where we can learn about racing, bike set up, bikes for sale from people with history or just goof around some.

Come out and have fun with WERA!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    evakat, TurboBlew, Killswitch and 7 others like this.
  2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Just say it………..AHRMA sucks!!!!:D

3. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

no need to sell me on it. this weekend im driving 6 hours to ohio rather then the 2 hour local drive .

rd400racer and dave3593 like this.
  4. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

I’m in full agreement and I understand that it is not easy to get to the track but there has to be bikes on the grid. I am doing all the endurance rounds this year and I requested Sean to run V7 HW which he was gracious enough to do but there was one other bike on the grid. Last year it seemed a lot of guys wanted to give V7 a go and I really don’t know if there was much turn out but I will do the rounds with endurance on my Aprilia if others want to come out and play.

evakat and TLR67 like this.
  5. dave3593

See you at Nelson!!

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

See you both there :D

dave3593 likes this.
  7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yeah after the V7 Heavyweight post I was actually the only one at the opener at Talladega for that and V8 HW… disappointing Sean made the effort for the changes and no one showed up… I went to the dark side the last 2 years with the other org but plan on doing more WERA in 2023 now that I have a SV to run…

dave3593 likes this.
  8. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

9. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Don’t you still have one TL? Whoever bought your other one should ride too.

I willl run sprints on the Sunday’s of endurance rounds and would be happy to have someone to race with.

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yes…. I agree

11. dave3593

Did I say that?;)

britx303 likes this.
  12. britx303

Should have...........:p

13. cyclocrossfool

should be last year (2022) of doing wera races in the north. hopefully doing wera south in 23

14. cyclocrossfool

not all of it, i like to do a race or two with them every year. most of the people are ok. stay clear of the dickheads on there fb page thou. if you have a question or complaint contact them directly. dont put it on a forum.

Norton 357 and 83BSA like this.
  15. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

I will def bring my 51 to every endurance round and run Sunday- if I get it back together. Got wrecked a little in February and I still haven’t gotten around to fixing it. Drinking from the fire hose here for sure.

yokohama1 likes this.
  16. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

I agree about the racers there. I have been helping Charlie with his bike for a couple of seasons and really like most of the people I have met.

My problem with them is that they have some odd rules. I have a 1973 Norton race bike that is stock displacement 850, 828 cc, and there is no class that I can run. We are going to have to sleeve down the motor to a 750 to fit into a class. I can't even run vintage superbike because you have to run stock fenders and seat pan.

What could be more vintage than a Norton Commando? If I wanted to spend cubic dollars on a Seely or Trackmaster frame and tricked out motor I would fit in, but that isn't why I race vintage.

WERA vintage has more realistic rules and doesn't make you jump through hoops to be able to race. We are still going to sleeve down the motor so I can run in both orgs but I'm not putting fenders on a 50 yr old bike to race. :D

17. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I agree James. I wonder what Stan used to do when he ran both orgs?....I'm assuming both his bikes are currently the sleeved down route.....is that the difference between V3 and V4?

I've enjoyed racing with both orgs.....and I believe they both have their "quirks".

Its kinda interesting, especially from a "CB350" perspective. The rules are pretty different. AHRMA seems to have attracted the "Modified" 350's in their Spoprtsman350 and Formula 250 classes, grids are usually pretty good. They also have numerous "Street Stock-ish" 350's in their production LW class, but that's a whole nother topic.

WERA's class and rules structure for the 350's has always been different than AHRMA's, and on the "stocker" end kinda falls in the "gap" of the AHRMA rules (Proddy and Sportsman Formula). WERA allows more stock bike mods than AHRMA does.....its just complicated, but in general, I've come to realize that in a way, AHRMA regulates by chassis in proddy, and WERA regulates by motor in the stock 350 classes.

Long stories that dont really matter......I enjoy both, but haven't run WERA in awhile, especially with my 350.

Its always good hanging with ya at the track, and I always appreciate the help. I hope you get that Norton together and we can have some fun.

18. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

I agree James. I wonder what Stan used to do when he ran both orgs?....I'm assuming both his bikes are currently the sleeved down route.....is that the difference between V3 and V4?

Stan has probably always ran the sleeved down motor. The 850 bottom end is much better as the 750 breaks the cylinder flange but 850 has through bolts.
    V3 is 750 for pushrod twins so the 850 has to run against larger displacement engines in V4. We did just fine in V4 back in the day though, only lost one race in 2+ seasons and that was our last race against a very strong Moto Guzzi.

I wish we could get more bikes to race in WERA vintage but not sure what the answer is. Maybe just a "run what ya brung" class, up to 750 and over 750 and formula rules. Almost anything could qualify. I don't care who or what I race against, just want to have someone else on the track to play with. I don't really care about championships or trophies, just want to be involved

I have had a blast helping out Charlie and look forward to more races

19. britx303

Have fun out the Tom. I’ll pass. They were the 1st org I was actually trying to start with years ago, and trying to communicate with them just left me knowing WERA was a better place to dump money down the toilet

20. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Now that I think about it, I believe Stan had a bike for V3 and another for V4....both Nortons....I'm pretty sure they are both the same now.

As far as the under 750 and over 750, thats almost close to what it is now, I think......My 350 would be running against you on your 750.

I've enjoyed your company James....good times these last couple seasons!