1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In ground Pool help

Discussion in 'General' started by casjoker, Jun 13, 2022.

1. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Yup, I agree, drain and start from zero and a known state.

Past two pools I've been hands off as it was a "wife" thing so I stay out of it. After a audit noticed she was paying a $hit ton for chemicals and was investing quite a bit of time in it. Has some type of system to convert salt into chlorine. After a quick investigation a box was throwing a error and a capacitor was blown. Four bucks from amazon and 30 minutes of soldering and the pool is almost zero maintenance. Moral of the story---get involved sooner!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    BigBird and voss555 like this.
  2. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

Just bought a house with a pool... 90 a month doesn't seem horrible till I get it figured out. As long as I keep assjuice cyrus out of it should be fine.

3. FastByKids

^ Put a swimmable diaper on him---you'll be fine! :crackup:

4. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Enough sodium hypochlorite, she’ll be crystal clear and smelling like Mr Cleans bald head. Might have to wait a month to swim though.

BigBird likes this.
  5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If you drain a salt filter pool onto your lawn, will it kill the grass?

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Assjuice can use the pond. Natural spring.

FastByKids likes this.
  7. FastByKids

When I was in Phoenix I had to get a permit from the city. We pumped it out to the street. Per their guidance. However our landscape was rock, not grass.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Manure pond would be good for him.

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Why don't you experiment on your lawn? Just a bucket of salt water should be enough to do a test.

10. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

I 2nd this :stupid: I hear so many folks going crazy with algae and my salt pool with cartridge filters is just a breeze to care for. Every 3-4 months i pull out the cartridges and hose them out. Lather rinse repeat.
    I have 5 things I use year round. Salt-Water-Bicarbonate (baking soda)-Muriatic acid-Chorine Stabilizer

If you check your phosphates and they are to the moon (breeding ground for algae) then you have a choice...chemicals or drain/refill.

11. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

If your water is balanced (Ph, hardness) and you have shocked the crap out of it, there should be no live algae left. The water is still green becuase their is enough dead stuff suspended in the water. Grab some flocculent. pour it in the skimmer, run the filter for 2- 4 hours and then shut it off. Let it sit for 12-24 hours and all the dead stuff will drop to the bottom. Vacuum to waste and you are good to go.

I opened my pool in mid May, but near the end of the month I had to quickly leave town (my Dad was sick and ended up passing away) and didn't even think to add some extra chlorine or anything. I was out of town for a week and half and came back to a really green pool. Couple days of shocking it and then I did the flocculent. It was crystal clear again in 4 days.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Maybe if I ever decide to do homemade ice cream again.

13. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

I did the flocculent/drop-out stuff once already but my guess is the same as yours. The amount of suspended dead stuff is the source of the problem because all my numbers look good on PH chlorine etc... Does anyone have a link to a DYI salt conversion? My local pool company wants almost 3k to do it.

14. chwolfe

chwolfe Well-Known Member

Go to www.troublefree pool.com and get your learn on. Then at least you won't waste as much $$ on unnecessary chemicals pushed by pool stores.

SuddenBraking and casjoker like this.
  15. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Wait wut? That's all it costs.

Here is the funny thing, in the pool in the house I bought. It had a salt system orignially. You can see where it got bypassed. The controller is still there. You saying for 400 ish dollars, I can reverse that? WTF?

I still haven't bothered to learn a lot about pools since getting the house. I just pay a cleaner and dig leaves out of it.

16. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

I DONT think your gonna get a salt cell, electrical install and pipe it in for $400. A cheap Jandy truclear cell probably cost that much alone.

BigBird likes this.
  17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I was like.....I could've swore I typed $90 a month lol

18. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

To those questioning the conversion cost; I was helping some folks buy a house with a pool already installed. Part of the deal was the current homeowner was replacing the pool liner in a chlorine pool. I called the company scheduled to do the liner replacement, original homeowners choice not ours and said since you're already draining the pool, what will it cost to switch the pool to saltwater when new liner is installed and refilled. The quote was 425-500 bucks.

Told my clients to do it and they could thank me later, I believe he said his final cost was like 417 bucks.

That was last year and no issues that I'm aware of.

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

20. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

What do you use to refill the pool when you put water in it?

Last year I had the same issue as you at the beginning of sumner.

Then one day I realized the dog bowls I use the same hose to fill the pool with turned green in one day after adding water.

I used a bore scope to check inside of my house and it was filled with algae. Everytime i added water i also added the algae from my hose into the pool. New hose, chemicals one more time and issue went away.

BigBird likes this.