1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini riding in Alabama

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by bncadvr, Apr 20, 2022.

1. bncadvr

bncadvr Well-Known Member

I'm relocating to northern Alabama soon and am trying to find places to ride minis. Or at least prove to myself there isn't anywhere to ride, so that I can decide to sell my machines (cue the bike vultures).

I found this place south of Birmingham called MidPond, but they don't seem to allow bikes regularly.

I contacted AMP and was told that they tried that in the past but don't plan to do it in the future.

Next closest places I can find are one just south of ATL and also Herrin compound, but they are far enough away to not be regular places for me.

Anything I'm missing?

I would love to find some place to ride regularly with a membership, mini or full size, and also race mini GP, but that doesn't seem realistic. So I'll probably be going to regular track days with STT most of the time.

2. TCC SZ

TCC SZ Active Member

Hey! There is a very active group in GA called South East Mini Moto. Our home track is Lamar County Speedway. We are doing our first championship series this year! The next race is on 5/14. Details will be in the Facebook group.

what mini are you rockin?

3. tempestm

tempestm Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the OP is referring to the LCS track since it's "just south of ATL".

To the OP, sucks that there's not any options close by unless you know someone with a private track nearby.

So, what bikes you got and how much ya askin'? :)

4. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

You are in the middle of some great orgs but far enough to not be local and convenient.

The South East Group has Georgia covered and SFMini has Florida.

5. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Is BTK in Decatur still around?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Talladega for races at all of our events, Barber as well.

7. bncadvr

Lamar County - that was the one just south of ATL that I was referring too. Looks like a good place, but is far enough from HSV that I would need to at least spend the night to make it worth while. I was really hoping to find something within a 2hr radius so that I could reasonably make a day trip out of it.

Tbh, I'm a bit spoiled having 3 local mini tracks and a local big track all about an hour away, COTA a few hours away, and year round riding season. At least the street riding here sucks, lol, and hurricanes....

My true minis are an NSR 50 w/63cc kit and Jemco pipe, fastest NSR you're likely to find; and a Grom with all the goodies. Both bikes are drilled for safety wire and ready for track, Grom is even still street legal/clean title/etc. I'd probably be looking at $3500ish for each depending on circumstances; I'd prefer to not have to transport them to AL if I'm going to sell them anyway, but deals can be made.

I also have an RS125/85 and a Ninja 250, but I'm definitely keeping those since they should be perfect for Tally and good enough for Barber (or I may end up with a 600 again).

Do minis run the full track at Barber or is it a course set up in the proving grounds?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Full track at Barber

9. bncadvr

Going to need a 25T rear for that :)

As expected, I can probably sell my Grom pretty easily. I'll still keep the RS85 which, if I read the rules correctly, can be run in Formula Mini.

I have half a mind to build a mini track in AL...

10. William Schneider

William Schneider Well-Known Member

Yes! I live in Huntsville and would be very interested in getting into minis. I have a few friends that would definitely use it if it were made.

11. Michael J

Michael J Trackster and aspiring dirtbiker

All you need is a gallon of dutch boy, the ability to paint a line and an abandoned walmart, supermarket or Home Depot. Cones help. Polished concrete is sketchy but beats not getting to ride.

Ben also forgot the mention that nsr63 he has was built for Keyleb Dekeyrel. Yeah that twinscup champion from motoamerica. It’s pretty sic.

yuengling910 likes this.
  12. yuengling910

yuengling910 Loose Cannon

I've been wondering about the legality of riding in an abandoned lot for a while now. I know where some are but haven't bothered taking the mini's out there because I figured I'd get kicked out as soon as I got there. You don't have any issues being hassled by the 5-0 or lot owners?

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you can look up who owns a property thru county records & make contact.

yuengling910 likes this.
  14. Michael J

You must do what the poors do: start with dirt. It doesn’t have to be an oval. Just flat and smooth. I still have that set of adv tires i used on the grom at the kart track until the tread got a bit thin. Go buy some property and a Kubota and get a dirt road course built. I’ll send you the tires and you can put them on the nsr63. And please post video on youtube for me.

15. Michael J

You can do anything you want on this planet until someone else cares… that lastpart is what is complex and kills it for so many. No one wants to be an airport…