1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Petrucci Files

Discussion in 'General' started by Used2befast, May 27, 2022.

1. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

The only relevance in adding BSB to this conversation is that, it is a national series that runs at more than one true FIM quality tracks. Where MotoGP and WSB currently run. But, BSB also run at some tracks that even some American riders, with flat track backgrounds, go "WOW! That's a bit sketch.".

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, two. :D
    But there's also lots of other countries with domestic superbike series that have nothing to do with Petrucci. Not sure why this one matters.

3. stk0308

I found the CIV website, the primary calendar is as follows:

Round 1 Dal 2 Aprile 2022 Al 3 Aprile 2022 Misano World Circuit “Marco Simoncelli” Misano
    Round 2 Dal 7 Maggio 2022 Al 8 Maggio 2022 Autodromo Vallelunga “Piero Taruffi” Vallelunga
    Round 3 Dal 18 Giugno 2022 Al 19 Giugno 2022 Mugello Circuit Mugello
    Round 4 Racing night Dal 30 Luglio 2022 Al 31 Luglio 2022 Misano World Circuit “Marco Simoncelli” Misano
    Round 5 Dal 17 Settembre 2022 Al 18 Settembre 2022 Mugello Circuit Mugello
    Round 6 Dal 8 Ottobre 2022 Al 9 Ottobre 2022 Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari Imola Imola

4. stk0308

One more than MotoAmerica, currently. Jus' sayin'.

5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Ease up on the poor fellow, he is just getting all the bitching out so that when he comes to Barber he has room for BBQ

6. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

MA is a national series. Petrucci is saying, essentially, that MA should race at world level tracks exclusively. That's not reality in any national series (hence the discussion of others). Petrucci is delusional about his expectations. It doesn't matter anyways because he's not truly upset about the tracks, he simply thinks he's above racing MA in general.

cbush and Michael Hausknecht like this.
  7. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

The actual *translated* quote about MA should be considering a look at CIV tracks safety standards.

From GPone
    upload_2022-5-31_15-41-55.png

8. prm

prm Well-Known Member

So, giving Petrucci’s comments some consideration, what tracks could MA choose from? US tracks generally considered to be safe? An ill defined requirement, I realize, but for the sake of discussion… Of the current MA schedule, I’ve only been to COTA and NJMP. Really no idea about the others, or tracks not on the schedule. What else is out there?

COTA
    Laguna Seca
    Barber
    Pitt
    NJMP
    ?

Which would definitely be removed?

Which could be made “safe” with some reasonable budget?

svracer22 likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's all wonderful. Still nothing to do with BSB. You could randomly bring up tracks in all sorts of countries that won't have any place in this conversation as no one is comparing them to the MA tracks. Yes he is unrealistic and whiney. Bringing up BSB tracks to somehow try to point out his issues is just silly.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on your definition of reasonable but quite simply none of those you've listed would meet FIM specs for GP racing outside of COTA.

11. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Indy and Laguna have held races. But no more. So if they could not support MotoGP/WSB lets go MA! Of course I do not know all the reasons why neither is still running cost/schedule/safety/other. Oh and toss in Miller or whatever the current name is for WSB.

12. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Man, he keeps getting in deeper. I'm sure before he signed the contract he had "The Talk". Everyone knows many of our tracks aren't "European Level". MA is still a young organization and has evolved yearly.

13. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

You're being obtuse (again). Safety amongst the different national series' will always be relevant in the discussion of any one series. The expectations of any of the national orgs are different than that of motoGP/WSBK and that isn't going to change.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm not remotely the obtuse one here. This isn't a discussion about safety between national orgs, it is not even truly a discussion about safety in MotoAmerica. This entire thread, this entire discussion is about one single rider and the series HE has ridden and HE is bitching about. Bringing up other shit is just silly and detracts form any point you might have.

Used2befast likes this.
  15. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Understand. Setting FIM standard/certification aside, which US tracks would safety not really be a prominent issue? That’s all I’m getting at. (I know there is no universal agreement on safety, and an FIM cert level has much more to it than safety.). I do think he os being whiney, but wondering if there is some element of his concerns that could be valid to some degree.

edit: any tracks on current MA schedule that might be considered sketchy and removed or modified?

https://www.racingcircuits.info/find-a-circuit/circuit-grading.html

https://www.fim-moto.com/fileadmin/library/FIM_Standards_for_CIrcuits_2021.pdf

16. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

so the actual list would be what:

COTA
    Laguna
    Miller (or whatever it is called now)
    Indy

Those are the last four tracks have hosted an FIM world championship event in recent years. If we use the CIV as an example, they have two Grade A and two Grade B. On that list of four US tracks, there are two that are/were A and two that are/were B. That does nothing to deal with the desirability or feasibility to race a national series at only those four tracks, but as an outsider looking at Italy as a reference (way smaller, loves m/c way more) you could make an argument that DP9 has an (uneducated) point.

17. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Remove NJ unless they repave it and put in some
    Cool FIM curbs with green track limits and gravel traps. Add Indy and Utah/Miller. Pitt is a great track and I love it, but you can’t have a plastic chicane curb on a world class track. Fix that and it’s in. And let’s race at COTA, Indy and Barber twice. Done…. World class national series.
    *the above is said with a snicker because I think we need to race at tracks around the country to help build and maintain the fan base.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Comparing the US to Italy is just silly, so no point.

19. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

A real interesting look is to compare the FIA/FIM lists. A fair number of our MA tracks are actually FIA 2 certified. FIA 2 includes Termas, Brno, Most, Saschenring, Misano, Donington, Brands, Navarra, Kyalami.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    BigBird likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Most tracks don't bother even looking into FIM certification. No point wasting the time and money if you're not going to spend the huge money to pay the WSB or GP sanction fees.