1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TRS in pickup bed

Discussion in 'General' started by Gixxerguy855, May 27, 2022.

1. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to think of a way to fabricate this system to work in the bed of my Ram 1500 so I can stop utilizing a canyon dancer on the handlebars. Has anyone done it? My truck is a lease so I cannot drill holes in the bed.

any ideas?

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Cut a piece of 1 inch plywood to fit the bed, mount the plate on the plywood?

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I've seen someone on some forum make a metal rack to hold the TRS in a bed. It's pretty much the same thing as plywood, just extra. But it seemed like a lot more trouble than it was worth.

I use soft ties around the lower triple clamp and a Baxley. The bike isn't going anywhere and the tie-downs don't need to be cranked on.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Drill it anyway and don't worry about it.

Blammo, Banditracer, Cooter! and 3 others like this.
  5. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Plywood method mentioned above works. I used 1 1/8" CDX ply. Make sure to use t-nuts on the underside with proper length bolts so it sits flush.

6. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

if you can't drill the bed just use a Baxley chock and tie downs, you barely even have to crank them down, bike is not falling over

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Drill it, blame aggressive carpenter bees

ToofPic likes this.
  8. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

That’s what I’m doing now. Baxley with canyon dancer cup ends, but I sure do hate pulling on my clip-ons. Even going to the lower triples the straps angle out far enough to hit the bodywork.
    I’ve thought about the plywood base but not sure how I would keep it from tipping up in corners. I suppose I’m thinking about it too hard and it’s pretty simple, but I need a solid idea! Thanks to all so far!

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

undo a couple of the bed bolts & run them through the "false" TRS floor of whatever material you choose.

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  10. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Drill the bed and use rubber plugs in the holes when you remove the plate to turn it end when the lease is up.

Next time buy the truck.

lopitt85 likes this.
  11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Yup. Put some rubber plugs in when you turn it in and they will never notice, especially if you're trading in for another lease.

pjdoran likes this.
  12. Critter

Critter Registered

Is the bed bolted down like the fords? or bolted down like the chevy? IE are bolts IN the bed that hold the bed down?

https://prnt.sc/SvtIUINrl_eg

13. egomezent

egomezent Well-Known Member

“ Even going to the lower triples the straps angle out far enough to hit the bodywork.”

I had the same problem….. Cross the straps ( throttle side to driver side, clutch side to passenger side ). Gave me enough clearance to not touch the bodywork.

Motofun352 likes this.
  14. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I had that setup for years and never had an issue. I had also thought about putting a TRS in the bed but it can be a pain trying to "re-align" the approach to the TRS if you get it wrong in such a small area, not to mention if you have the short 5.5' bed you'll need to position the plate "under" the bike like so:

Screenshot_16.jpg

I don't get why folks think clip-ons are so fragile. Between the wheel chock and the straps you have lots of stability.......don't even need to cinch the straps down that much, maybe a quarter-inch of compression on the forks.

15. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Drill it and throw some cheap rubber grommets in the hole when you hand it in. They’ll never notice

16. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

For me at least it's not that I think the cilp-ons are fragile but over time the canyon dancer cups can put stress on the throttle tube and mechanism. You don't want to get to the track and fail tech because your throttle doesn't snap back like it should.

17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you must have a really old version of a CD and nothing some scrap pvc couldnt remedy. Also chocking the front wheel is the most important part of using a CD.

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  18. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Baxley or Condor wheel chock is a great setup. The Condor has the advantage of being easier to bolt down and is all aluminum.

19. genosr1

genosr1 Well-Known Member

mount trs plates to tail gate, proven set up hauled dozens of bikes around the country for years

Attached Files: