1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Erik Buell

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, May 16, 2022.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The 1125 or the 1190?

In 2009 weren't there 1125R's being raced in both the 600 and the 1000 classes. I believe they were called Daytona Sportbike and Daytona Superbike that year?

CR750 and nlzmo400r like this.
  2. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Not sure if JBraun was talking about the 1125 or the 1190 being hugely different from the street variant, but I definitely remember in 2009 in the DMG 'Daytona Sportbike' days Eslick kicked ass on the Buell 1125R against the normal field of 600s. Lots of people cried foul because of the displacement, and perhaps fairly, but ultimately if the HP wasn't all that different, who cares? The twin would definitely have advantages and disadvantages compared to the competition then.

Motorcycle people in general seem so hung up on displacement being the deciding factor in 'fairness' of racing classes. Meanwhile Mustang guys with 5.0L v8 are perfectly happy racing Camaros with 6.2L v8s ultimately making about the same power just in different fashion. I like when the racing classes have a big range of bike types that have distinct advantages and disadvantages based on the track.

G 97 and ShadowBoxer like this.
  3. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

So to late to have you ask him about my tree-fiddy?

4. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

Guys are calling the bike a pile of trash… it isn’t. I’m sure there has been, but I don’t follow everyone all the time so ‍♂️

rice r0cket likes this.
  5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Many folks seem to forget Chaz Davies was seemingly flying quietly under the radar on the 1000cc RSV-1000 that same season as well. I guess those extra 125cc's of the Buell made all the difference. I would have thought the Priller's chassis would have been far better suited for the racetrack.

[​IMG]

03RumbleBee likes this.
  6. G 97

G 97 Garth

Other than the final drive and experimenting with duel rotors they were closer than you think.

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

Thé 1125r was a fun bike to ride. The pre production units had some issues, particularly with the rotax, but once sorted it pulled like a freight train. It turned and transitioned from side to side effortlessly. Actually a good bike, very good.
    Who else in here making comments has ridden one at pace?
    B0A2851A-A7DE-453E-AA94-A7C64DEE93F3.jpeg 017AB571-369D-4DF8-972B-FC003017C4A6.jpeg FCB576FE-CDCB-4C1D-B297-6ED8193190F9.jpeg 8EF8097B-5B6C-45E3-8DBA-37B44DC59326.jpeg

britx303 likes this.
  8. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

This LW racer MF’er right here yo! I made comments…..wuz up??!!………….:D

G 97 likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Got one in the basement and I've ridden it at a pace.... :crackup:

G 97, Cooter! and OldGuyOnBlu like this.
  10. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

I have, well my pace anyway. And it took a hell of a lot of effort on a 1299 to beat my best times on the Buell by one or two tenths at Grattan and Nelson - lap times that were surprisingly easy on the Buell when they came to me.

G 97 likes this.
  11. G 97

G 97 Garth

Dude, I meant to ask you if you still had it. If I remember correctly you got one shortly after the Motor Company shuttled Buell. That awesome.

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

Man, great memories for me. After Higbee got injured while racing at Iowa Raceway in Newton, Buell still had a couple of endurance/longevity test they wanted to perform, so after the Inside Pass/ Back to the Track event at Cresson, Tx concluded I stayed over for the next day and filled in for him. The only directives given were, ride at 80% of pace with full 100% throttle application acceleration through the gears, don’t wad it and when you come in, get off the bike and don’t touch anything and get out of the way. LOL.

So I did five, one hour long stints, trading off with Trey Nobles. They had the bike set up with all the diagnostics and track position etc. It was an eye opener looking at the data and seeing how consistant Trey was. He was fucking spot on lap after lap. I was riding braille compared to him. But man it was fun. The 1125r was an awesome bike.

5axis, L8RSK8R and sdg like this.
  13. G 97

G 97 Garth

Sadly, the DMG pace bike concept never came to fruition as I was one of the riders tasked with this endeavor.

14. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

What's Higbee up to now?

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Man, I have zero idea.

16. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

I raced an XB12R back in the day and still have my Buell S1W. They were/are pure fun to race and ride. I miss racing, but the wallet couldn't support the habit.

Still have my Buell S1W street bike and take it out on occasion.

TurboBlew, G 97 and britx303 like this.
  17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

User name checks out. :D

ducnut likes this.
  18. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

Last I knew he was working with Shorai Batteries. But that was a few year ago.

L8RSK8R likes this.
  19. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

20. G 97

G 97 Garth

Laguna Seca
    8477B2EB-0609-4F28-BA8C-30F0AADFC65A.jpeg