1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motoamerica at V.I.R.

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott S., May 13, 2022.

1. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

How superbikey would the rules be to get the SV back in the mix?

2. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I think if Gagne has had any advantage this year in bike design/setup compared to Petrux it's going to be more clear at VIR; certainly than at COTA or Road ATL.

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Others can correct me if I am wrong here, but I think you can build one that would be competitive now or at least really close. The problem is that the cost for the SV Superbike initial engine build and engine rebuilds / refreshes for the season would be more expensive than buying and running a 660 with a stock motor.

Gino230 and FastByKids like this.
  4. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Most any bike with 25-30k into it will finish at the pointy end of the field (with the right rider). It comes down to top teams choosing Yamaha or Aprilia because of the handling, the manufacturer support, and other related factors. The SV might even be a favorite at a few tight tracks that reward mid range torque and handling.

SundaySocial likes this.
  5. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

I assisted in the build of two R7's preseason and a test day at Homestead. There's a lot I like about them coming from crew on a team last year running SV's.
    Can't really comment much more as my learning curve is steep. V.I.R. will be my first race as a wrench for this season. We'll see how it goes.

6. 392

392 Well-Known Member

Will be arriving Wed and staying through Sunday.

7. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Looks like people are getting sent home in a few classes if they're limiting to 36 bikes.

Suzuka_joe and Gino230 like this.
  8. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Outside the top 10, they can be competitive with the current rules package.

Top 10 and up- getting that level of HP means lots of motors- the Yamaha (even when fully built) and the Ape have better longevity, so it's just more economical at the moment. Even if they gave them a bigger bore, I think that's far from proven reliability wise.

It's hard to say, the bikes are all still being developed, and the records are continuing to be broken. Each bike has it's own strengths and weaknesses, too. Just my .02

cav115 likes this.
  9. rapidzrx

rapidzrx Well-Known Member

I doubt if Greg White could beat any of the girls

10. rapidzrx

rapidzrx Well-Known Member

Not even on a 1ooo!!!

11. Monsterdood

I wouldn’t go home, I’d stick around and watch some good racing and help some other racers out! But I’m hoping to be in the show!

12. exracer941

exracer941 Well-Known Member

I have no doubts you'll be in the show.

hotnail, Gino230 and Monsterdood like this.
  13. Monsterdood

Would you like to join the team as the head of positive encouragement?! Lol… First race weekend on a new bike and those boys up front are no joke. I gotta get on it starting with the first lap of P1, no time to fool around. I hope you’re right, but I’ll give it my best and see how it goes.

SundaySocial, cpettit and Nathey like this.
  14. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Good luck to you mate!

Monsterdood likes this.
  15. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I will be helping out in the #171 Twins Cup pits on Sat & Sun. Fri and Sat still look like scorchers, but at least the humidity isn't out of control, as heat indexes are only a couple degrees up from the temp. A couple years ago I did a track day there with temps in the mid to upper 90s, but the heat index was closer to 105. Good luck to all those trying to make the show in the crowded fields.

Gino230, rafa and Monsterdood like this.
  16. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Lets go Ray

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm going to stay home abnd get caught up on things before 4 weekends on the road. :(

18. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Like getting a 2023 VIR date for WERA? :Poke:

Monsterdood, yokohama1 and FastByKids like this.
  19. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

oh-no-you-didnt1.jpg.jpg

20. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

Me trying to qualify for Twins Cup and Cassidy Heiser racing Twins Cup on the new CRT R7... :)

hotnail, exracer941, E Reed and 5 others like this.