1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Erik Buell

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, May 16, 2022.

1. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Tomorrow, I speak to him.

taking question requests. We don’t pull punches on the pod so give me some juicy dirt or just good questions!

I’m thinking this might be a top 3 of my interviews.

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Ask him why he wanted to beat up on the lil 600s.

969 likes this.
  3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Ask him what he thinks your license plate should be.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Ask him if he still thinks a single circumferential front brake rotor is a good idea...

5. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Ask him why he ever thought a Harley motor in his XB chassis was a good idea.

R1Racer99, 969, jd41 and 4 others like this.
  6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Should LW bikes be allowed on track with G97 or any other Heavyweights?:D

7. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

GWAR or Mazzy Star?

six6two, backbone, RayRay and 6 others like this.
  8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Pro tip: Interview him in an inflatable hot tub decorated with VR46 stickers.

CR750, TurboBlew, 5axis and 5 others like this.
  9. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

At what point do you need to sacrifice ego and adherence to an idea when the practical application of that idea just doesn't work.

10. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

Ask him when did he first realize he’d gotten in bed with the devil, HD

hotnail, YamahaRick and britx303 like this.
  11. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Are his hands and elbows tired from polishing a turd all these years?

sdg likes this.
  12. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

There's your license plate....BUELLER.

Just watched that clip, Kristy Swanson...huggabuggah!!

sdg likes this.
  13. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

So yes I’m going to ask him about some of the designs that did or didn’t work.

Im gonna press him, just not disrespect him.

14. 27

27 Well-Known Member

It’s a known that that braking system was designed tested and literally thrown in the dumpster at one of the big brake companies…. Ask him about how it came to be on his bikes… then of course why he refused to concede that it sucked along with the proven power losses from heating the fuel in the hot frame as being directly bolted to the engine just cooked fuel.

but compliment him on something first… like the underbelly exhaust or the Blast :D or his guitar playing… or how cool of a kick ass guy he bought his semi from is…

Once a Wanker.. and sdg like this.
  15. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

What’s his take on what the current brand owner of his namesake is up to?

Cooter! and 27 like this.
  16. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Why didn't he ever use a real engine instead of constant vtwins?

17. Critter

Critter Registered

Ask him if was his idea or a mandate from Harley, to only sell Buell's through Harley Dealerships and not other stores more geared towards Boutique sportsbikes

18. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Ask him if he misses the Dungeon

19. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

I would expand on this idea in a different way:
    In his experience how did the interaction between these factors weigh on the decisions made:
    -Commercial need to differentiate their product from the market
    -Need to innovate in a way that gives the new comer an advantage to play with when jumping in the deep end of the pool
    -Pragmatic/practical considerations when an aspect of the first two considerations ends up conflicting

example: The WSBK team ran into a crap load of problems with the perimeter brakes and very much wanted to bolt on a set of Ohlins forks, but it seems that the idea had become a core part of the Buell design language. Was the decision to not allow the switch born of determination to figure out how to make a theoretical advantage work or commercial differentiation needs?

Other examples: KTM has stuck with tubular steel for commercial reasons. Ducati started with tubular steel then went crazy with exotics, perhaps starting with commercial design language then jumping into the innovation bucket with both feet.

20. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I think that XB12R is one of the coolest fucking motorcycles ever.

I've ridden one quite a few times that a friend owns and still has it today.. That
    bike is SOooo much fun, it puts a grin on my face every time I ride it same as the RG500 Gamma .all.. wheelies wheelies wheelies!!!

BIG TIME FUN.
    It is what it is but it's not raised driven on the road never had a problem with brakes or reliability it's a solid machine yes it's hot but who hasn't written an RC51 or oil cooled GSXR and cooked their legs... Who cares.

I always roll my eyes when people compare it to the Japanese breed of sport bikes I don't give a crap what the displacement is.. I don't think it was ever intended as a bike to be on an even playing field with any of the Japanese sports bikes.
    It's a machine for somebody who wants completely different and it delivers.

Anything can be raced, obviously "we all know that", but in my opinion it is a street bike that delivers.. Miles of smilesa she looks totally awesome.

Would easily take that Buell XB12R, seven ways to next Sunday over any GSXR ZX R1 etc... in the last 20 years.

Every one of the Japanese bikes looks the same..

The bike is for a motorcycle enthusiast I believe someone who can swing a leg over just about anything and have fun on it on.

People whining and gripe about Harley-Davidson I always find that fairly ignorant.. but Eric Buell was employed as an engineer for them they gave him the opportunity like 40% ownership and needed capital to pursue his dream and an opportunity for them to Branch out into a new market, why the hell not.

If I remember correctly they then bought the company outright and whole.
    What's a guy to do when somebody is writing you your checks? I certainly wouldn't walk away.. as far as a racing campaign just about everybody knows that's the best way to generate some sales for sport minded individuals.

It's a fun bike plain and simple I'd buy one in a heartbeat if the opportunity came up with my budget which isn't very much these days...lol

It's still one of my friend's favorite bikes and he has over 60 machines....
    But then again you got a really motorcyclesgotta be the type who loves "all" motorcycles, not just a narrow aspect.
    I totally get it ,i that there are many guys and girls who just grabbed a cake towards one genre of bike riding or style, and the type who wants to buzz around at 13,000 RPM the Buell, certainly isn't that kind of machine.

You can tell the man thank you for building something that has character doesn't follow the common road and puts a big smile on some people's faces still to this day .

I like things that are different, and that bike punches all the tickets.