1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The International North West 200 | 8th - 14th May 2022

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, May 9, 2022.

1. It’s all relative actually, they were probably damn good ride before the riders got up to speed :)

2. In this day and age it should not happen, no excuse for an item as critical as a tire for something of this magnitude to happen. This could have ended up way worse and how it didnt is beyond me but I’m glad the outcome was as good as it was.

drop, stk0308, 418 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Hopefully no one was injured as a result before the tires were pulled.

4. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Not like they’ve ever had this happen before….

hopefully there were no injuries as that’s a bad place to have a tire failure. Not like there’s ever a good place but still.

5. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

As I recall, they also got Ben Bostrom, and Ben Spies at a Daytona test. Not in the same year.

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I never saw a reason for a special tire for road courses like the NW200 with long straights. A dual compound rear MAY be needed but not all the time. Daytona with the banking and the big Gs on the left side, (I've heard it's like 6 Ggs) means special carcass materials and tread plies are needed. Phillip Island is similar to Daytona but with less Gs, but again a long, long time on the side of the tire. So put a lot of HP and stress to the side of the tire (leaned) with it's smaller diameter it's totally different than 170 plus in a straight line.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    SpeedyE likes this.
  7. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Kinda shitty that the riders got pulled. The rider should have had an option to run a different tire.

stk0308 likes this.
  8. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Nah. From data, the highest lateral G force (by far) I encountered at Daytona was 2.65G, traveling at 154.4mph - it's coming off the banking onto the back straight, in the run toward the chicane.

Now, given that I was several seconds off pace and I didn't have a built bike, we can math a bit: Another machine doing 20mph better with that same corner radius would have experienced about 3.4G.

To hit 6G in that corner, the rider would have had to be traveling 232mph.

They "did", but the organizers didn't delay the race start. Several riders already had treaded tires mounted on spare rims (though most didn't, since there wasn't another treaded-tire race left), but they weren't warm and wouldn't have heated up in time. Numerous teams were trying to get the start delayed but they went ahead with it anyway. I got lucky in that we were just planning to run with treaded tires regardless.

drop, Steeltoe, CR750 and 2 others like this.
  9. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Which way were you travelling?

10. Nathey

Nathey Well-Known Member

:crackup: That's harsh, but that's freaking hilarious

Banditracer likes this.
  11. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

lmfao that was pretty good

12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

That number came from the time when riders like Bostrom, Zemke, Spies, Miguel, etc. on factory superbikes with big horsepower, big motors, and bigger top speeds ran the banks of the Big D.

SpeedyE likes this.
  13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

So, a sponsored rider (i.e. paid) rider can switch brands mid season? Interesting...

14. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

G forces in turns are determined solely by the turn radius and vehicle speed. Unless those guys were going 232+mph, 6g ain't in the cards. 3-4 maybe tho.

No no, only the Dunlop slicks had the catastrophic delamination. The treaded tires all worked as expected (and were not pulled from the grid).

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That took me a minute. :crackup::crackup::crackup:

tophyr likes this.
  16. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

17. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

In Irish Road racing. Yes. Michael Dunlop has a history of it. And we're not talking mid season, we're talking mid event. An even where it's decided the sponsors product is unsafe, by the sponsor.

18. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="tophyr, post: 5983314, member: 23495"
    No no, only the Dunlop slicks had the catastrophic delamination. The treaded tires all worked as expected (and were not pulled from the grid).[/QUOTE]
    [​IMG]

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That seems like an entirely different problem and I'd even guess just an issue with that specific tire rather than the entire run of them. But yeah, not all issues were slicks :D

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?