1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It was fun while it lasted...

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, May 6, 2022.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yeah, for real. Lived there for about 12 years. It's pretty much the perfect size for a city. The brewery scene is really popping off too in the Des Moines metro, with many of Iowa's better breweries consolidating in Des Moines.

I grew to like the winters as I would spend a lot of time hiking up at Ledges in them, even down to zero degree temps. The food is also stellar and affordable for a city of it's size. Road course tracks are a bit far away, but there's a few moto tracks in the state and one kart track for supermoto about 2.5 hours away.

If I couldn't be in CO, UT, AZ, or maybe Rapid City, I'd head back to Iowa in a heartbeat.

G 97 likes this.
  2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's sort of interesting to watch as I get older. This is the house I built when we got married for a whopping $146k. 25 years later it is listed for more than we paid for what we live in now.

30041, GA Real Estate & Homes for Sale | realtor.com®

Those are not the original porch columns as it appears someone doesntt understand scale very well.

G 97 and auminer like this.
  3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Looking at the estimate values of some of the homes that I've sold in the past is kinda irritating. I've almost always rolled the profits into another place, which has always kept pace with the old house, but still... If, woulda, coulda, shoulda...

G 97 likes this.
  4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Don't I know it... I bought one of my Kalifornia houses in 2000 for $580K. Its $2.4m now.

5. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

I am completely and utterly eff’d……..

i started looking for a builder exactly 1 yr ago. As I type this i am watching the dozer guy build my pad. Took me this long to find builder/get power/drill well etc.
    Did a construction loan and couldn’t find a bank to roll it all in at the same time. Was told i could go conventional when I’m 90% through with the build.
    So had originally planned on 2.8% but in 7 months when I’m done who freeking knows what it’s going to be.
    I have no idea what to do.

6. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

2.75% fixed rate on my mortgage on a house I had built for my gimp needs in 2016 and no desire to move, sell or change. My only financial regret is NOT buying up every 2-stroke streetbike I could get my hands on in the 80's and 90's and sitting on them. Prices for those are crazy high and seem to keep going up.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

That sucks.

When the time comes you may better off with some type ARM so when rates fall you dont have to keep doing re-fi's. If your looking for a house loan in 6 months, I would plan for north of 6%..maybe even 7-8%.

8. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

Dear God

9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I can't even believe ARM's are still a thing...and can't imagine a situation where they'd be a good idea.

G 97 likes this.
  10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

:stupid:

Don't ever do an ARM, particularly if the reasoning is because "I may be overextended in my payments if I do a standard amortizing loan".

11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

If i was doing a 15-30year house mortgage at what might be the peak of interest rates and I thought rates would be more likely to fall rather than rise over the next few years, I would absolutely do an ARM so I could take advantage of falling rates without incurring the expense of doing a re-fi every other year. But I would also make sure I could afford some increase and also be able to flip to a fixed rate loan in case they kept going up.

There is some gamble to it but we should have a better idea what to expect from the economy in 6 months.

Either way you cut it he's probably missed the crazy low rates of just 6-12 months ago and is staring at 6-8% financing and who knows if it will ever get back below 4% and how long that might take.

Most people forget that over the last 50-60 years the average 30yr fixed is about 8%. So the last couple decades have been a little lower than what is "normal"

12. Tristan

The 2 times I refi'd were cheap and free

13. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Nothing in life is free. You know that.

14. Tristan

I got a lower rate and term with nothing out of pocket, so it worked for me

15. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

10 minutes south of Lexington, KY I offered $56k over asking on a$350k home and lost this week. They went with a buyer that had a bigger down payment and no inspections over us. I’m not sure what it actually sold for.

16. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

As for Iowa: they have the greatest density of Rosacker’s in the country and the Iowa Beef Steakhouse, so they get a thumbs up from this guy.

Senna likes this.
  17. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Wow. I was annoyed after offering $15k over asking and losing. If $56k over is not enough we're all fucked.

18. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

total owed probably went up and they rolled it in, usually they'll do that for people or you can bring the cash and not do it if you truly cared. they don't work for free. still can come out exactly as described though so hey, what's another $6k over the course of a 15 or 30 year loan at a way lower rate?

19. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

seems relevant:

[​IMG]

Also, I heard from a neighbor potentially that the most recent townhouse that just sold might have gone for $150k over what we paid for ours 4 years ago, $40-50k over what they were asking, in a week. Still showing pending on Zillow, I guess we gotta wait a few more weeks to be nosey and see.

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You can't compete with Blackrock in the housing market. They can outspend you everytime.,