1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorcycle tire recall

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, May 13, 2022.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Damn, lots of Adv guys use that TKC80. Glad I'm a cheap bastard and bought Shinko's:D

G 97 likes this.
  3. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Put a set of Conti Trail Attack 3s on the Triumph last year…I ain’t worrying about it.

4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

These sizes listed are very low volume from a sales standpoint in NA.

5. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

120/70-18 and 90/90-21? those are the most common mid-size adv bike tires. My 2022 KTM 500 EXC-F came with TKC80 tires in those sizes. I need to check mfg dates.

Cheers,

Dave

6. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

I didn't see any mfg dates on the recall?

7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

About 3.5 million m/c tires are sold each year. Then factor in that the huge sellers in that segment are the 110/80R19, 120/70R19, 150/70R17, 150/70R18 then yes these 68,770 pcs in about 40 different sizes is pretty small.
    And don't you have a 140/80-18 on the back of that monster?

8. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

No. The 140 goes on the 950SE. The 500 takes a 120 or at most a 130.

The number ain't small enough if you have one of the affected tires . . . . .:Poke:

Cheers,

Dave

9. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I have the affected tires:

120/90-18 rear mfg 0121
    90/90-21 front mfg 1121

Yipee. Now I get to deal with Continental, have them tell me they sold the tires to KTM, i.e., buzz off, then I go to the dealer in Detroit MI (I'm in Georgia) . . . . get the picture?

Cheers,

Dave

10. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Weird the ktm 2021 brochure online lists a 140/80 rear for that bike

And yes if you have that on the bike you're in the Q to get a replacement if they have new one ready.

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yep, know the feeling. Bought a Yuasa battery off Amazon in mid February for my GSA. It failed last week. Company I bought it from said I had to take a picture of the battery after I cut the terminals off and they'd send that picture to Yuasa USA. Yuasa would then send me a new battery, well, whenever they get around to it (it's currently out of stock). Might get it next week, might get it next year. So much for a warranty.

12. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Soooooooooooooooooooooo,
    Continental customer service sez take the tires to a motorcycle shop and they'll hand me new tires. Umm, great concept, but the devil is in the details. I've ordered D606's front & rear and when they arrive, they'll get spooned on and the TKC80's will be off for the to-be-continued adventure. I suspect the shops in this area will be very quizzical . . . like WTH? I've asked them to contact their Parts Unlimited reps, i.e., where most shops obtain their tires these days. Let's see what PU has to say.

Standby to standby . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

13. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Does your BSA still run K70s? :D

14. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Glad this post helped some people

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

NTHSA usually requires the manufacturer to collect the recall tires independently, so I would guess PU won't be involved.

16. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Nope. Avons.

Cheers,

Dave

17. I bought a set of take off wheels a couple weeks ago with them, they were swapped out as I bought the wheels to mount mud / soft tires for one of the EXC’s. I like to have at least 3 rear options and 2 front for different weather and where I ride as I pay someone to change my mx tires because it’s not rocket science but I’m lazy. Drop off 5-6 wheels at a time at he charges me $15 a pop. Money well spent for me.