1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ninja 400 repeatedly surges when leaned over left

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Poorna, May 7, 2022.

1. Poorna

Poorna Active Member

New bike, picked it from a fellow forum member. Started tracking today at Chuckwalla CCW.

Bike starts repeatedly surging under decent lean (40 deg), only left side, and repeatable. If I back off the lean, the bike rides fine.

Unfortunately no mechanic on site this weekend and people have said either fuel or tip-over sensor.

Bike has a quick shifter if that makes a difference, but no amount of wiggling on shifter makes any difference in engine rpm.

Also, The throttle cable seems to have enough slack. Have a session with Toni Elias tomorrow and hate to loose it. Any help appreciated….

2. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

We have a theft recovery race bike and we had rust in the tank take out a fuel pump. I remember jumping out a kick stand switch with a safety wire jumper, but don’t remember doing anything with a tip over switch.

3. Poorna

Poorna Active Member

It rides fine when not leaned left… I am getting a buddy bring me some FI cleaner, cannot hurt…

4. FastByKids

Info:
    Tip over switch needs to stay center of bike. Should be near cluster / headlight area. Also check to make sure it’s not upside down.

5. Poorna

Poorna Active Member

That seems to be the consensus, but this was a race bike, so it’s probably disabled. Unfortunately previous owner doesn’t know as he was the second owner. Any clue what I should look for? How does it look?

6. FastByKids

Take off front fairing and get to hunting!

Tony Elias ain’t cheap.

[​IMG]

7. Poorna

Poorna Active Member

Hmm, I do see something that this would plug into, but a resistor has been used to short it. That would be it? The resistor is loose or shot? Will wiggle it around and also disconnect the QS for good measure. Thanks!!!

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

when did Toni Elias take pity on "little" bike riders? :)

Are the battery contacts loose??

9. FastByKids

Was this resolved?

10. Poorna

Poorna Active Member

Yes, I disconnected the quick shifter per the previous owner’s suggestion and it was resolved. Now need to figure out why? It only started misbehaving in sessions 3 and above…

FastByKids likes this.
  11. BG1

BG1 Active Member

Your foot putting any pressure on the lever during lean and causing a signal to be picked up? What kind of QS? Gp shift? Any scrape marks on the bottom of it?

12. Poorna

Poorna Active Member

No, it was reproduced by another rider consistently too.

13. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Can you recreate it by leaning the bike over and reving the engine, while not moving? Also whats cutting, fuel or ignition? Fuel would have a soft cut, as ignition would be more instant.

14. Poorna

Poorna Active Member

I (and another person) was able to replicate it on a straight. No issues after disconnecting the quick shifter, so I am guessing ignition...

15. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

I would go through the wiring harness, and inspect each pin carefully inside of the plugs, to make sure there isnt any corrosion or burnt wires. Would be a good idea to spray an electrical cleaner inside and make sure they air dry before plugging back in.

I would also check inside of the ignition start kill switch open that up and make sure the contacts are clean.

16. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Is it possible there is N internal issue with the quickshifter?

17. Poorna

Poorna Active Member

Most probably. The QS disconnect soled all issues.

G2G likes this.
  18. Maxtrap

Maxtrap Well known member

If this was the Mesa bike, I hope it runs as good as it looks. Seriously thought about that one.
    I second Ibidu1’s suggestion of trying to lean the bike over in the pits and see what happens in Neutral. Obviously swapping out the quickshifter with one known to work would help narrow down the problem.
    Strapping the bike down (well) on stands sideways on somebody’s ramp could approximate your lean angle for running through the gears and removing the variables of body position. All easier said than done. Good luck!