1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caswell tank sealer application

Discussion in 'General' started by yokohama1, May 5, 2022.

1. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

I've got an aluminum gas tank that has a pin hole in one of the welds. I have used Caswell tank sealer on plastic tanks with good luck. I'm considering using it on this tank to seal this hole but wanted opinions on if this is the way I should go. I was thinking it might be good as this leak just developed which I assume came from general stress on the tank and if I seal the whole tank then is might prevent any others from developing. On the other hand, if it were to fail then I'm dreading how the tank would be welded again since if the inside is coated i feel that coating would need to be removed? Possibly a patch welded over the area where the leak is? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I've never used Caswell, but hear good things.

I'd use "Redkote".....if you need to remove it, pour some MEK in there, done.

yokohama1 likes this.
  3. yokohama1

Would you have any reservation trying to seal a pin hole leak with these types of sealer? And when I say leak, I mean literally about one drop of fuel in 24 hrs.

4. 72westie

72westie Well-Known Member

I have used it for the exact issues your having. Still holding after 4/5 years.

5. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

You just toss the tank on a big fire to remove the liner.

Actually, a big oven will do the trick. There's a guy locally who has the 800-1,000 F oven to do that.

No, the paint does not survive

6. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I would try to seal it with a silicon-bronze Tig weld, so basicalkally controlled brazing. If you good aluminum welder, I would do that, but Tig-Bronze is safer , less (zero) chance of blow through

7. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I used Caswell on 2 tanks that I was restoring. The excess stuff I drained onto my gravel driveway. It's still there 3 years later......If I were Jeff Bezos I'd pave the whole driveway with the stuff! :crackup:

yokohama1 and Banditracer like this.
  9. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I used it on a tank with a similar problem probably about 10 years ago. Still holding just fine.

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I had a 30yr old steel tank that would weep at the pinch welds. I was going to try to do a sealant but was talked out of it until I got the tank properly brazed. Ended up being over $1200 all in between brazing, coating, repaint, decals, petcock, etc.

SpeedyE likes this.
  11. yokohama1

Thanks all for the opinions and real experiences. Think I’m going to get it welded.
    I have an Aprilia composite tank that ethanol turned to jelly at the mounting point of the fuel pump. Let you t sit for 3 years to go back to original size and stiffness. Coated with Caswell and has done fine since.