1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2023 | Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Feb 28, 2022.

1. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

1 - It isn't really heading that way.

2 - Mid season is too late, contracts are signed by then....

2. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

Not a chance. They dont have any money to bring with them.

Alex M. will be back in moto2 where he belongs. Too many good riders lokking for a seat.

3. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Canet has been my title favorite since before race 1 this year. In my opinion he's the only guy ready to move up. Other than Ogura of course.

SuddenBraking and Yzasserina like this.
  4. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

But they have right passport, unfortunately they can’t regularly be in the top 5’s

5. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Agreed. They have to be careful. They gained a (deserved) reputation for using up riders like teenage boys do kleenex. That’s probably why they were so loyal to Iannone even though we all knew he was guilty as hell and he wouldn’t win an appeal. It’s PR. If they give appearances that they’re returning to their old ways, they’re going to wreck their program just when they’re coming good.

They’ll give Vinales this season and a chunk of next to get it together. This is no lose for Aprilia. They get data from him as a baseline for another season plus. He’s a known quantity and will help them determine who to grab next. Then he either figures out how to get to the pointy end and win or he self destructs, quits in a fit of pique and makes Aprilia look mature. They might lose an engine to rev limiter games, but that’s a small price to pay. Tell the engineers it’s a destructive testing program.

6. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

These guys are getting cut fo sho’.

Franco. His contract doesn’t matter a shit. Unless he gets it on the podium routinely in the next few races he’s done. I don’t think Rins will land here unless he shows consistency and a stream of wins and podiums on the Zook soon. I think there’s fire to the Mir/Repsol smoke and he’ll end up there instead. Why not just throw in Toprak for a year and see if he does the business? He could hardly do worse than the non-Fabio squad.

Pol. Good rider, not viewed as a guy who can bring championships. Marc is liable to leave the sport any time he bumps the noggin, HRC can’t afford to have a non-contender on this seat. I think they’ll play for Joan and get him.

Dovi. Can’t even remember seeing him on the leaderboard. May as well take a flyer on a Moto2 hotdog to develop potential factory replacements. Motocross is dope and I’m sure Dovi saved his money, why bother anymore?

Simple Jack. Good rider and fans love him, not good enough to take up a seat you could give to shithot youngsters you already have signed to your 20 other bikes.

Nakagami. There’s another fast Jap that’s younger. He’s surplus to need. Off to the Supers with him.

Maybe cuts:
    Slow Marquez. Is his contract up this year? He’s out if so, otherwise he does okay enough that it’s not worth the money and effort to shit on his contract. Otherwise grab a youngster and hope he makes immediate impact and brings cash, rinse and repeat as needed.

The other ones are more iffy. Or I’m not paying enough attention. I’ll put $50 to the AFF that all of the “definite” list get cut next season. Takers?

Last edited: May 5, 2022
  7. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Semi serious question hypothesis…. Mav, they talk about full fuel load and starts and on and on. Guy is fast in practice, fast in Q, fast in the race. Pretty much everywhere except the “start” or in this case a pack of bikes. It is like he throws out the anchor until the track is clear. I don’t want to say he has lost his nerve so I will say it seems obvious he is uncomfortable in a pack of bikes. Seemed to start after the Redbull Ring incident… Grid position doesn’t seem to matter, after the first few corners he is always one of the last 5 bikes.

ShadowBoxer and Trainwreck like this.
  8. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

If they replace Miller with Martin right now that would look ridiculous on paper.. I like Martin a lot, but that fuckin kid needs to stay on the motorcycle. (One crash wasn't his fault, I know)

Isn't Maverick "safe" until end of '23? He's had a rough go of it.. But remember, other than his Rookie season he's won races and been on the podium every single year in the premier class. If he wins on the Aprilia he'd be one of what 2 riders to ever win on 3 different bikes? I like Maverick, however, he's just Maverick and does strange shit, especially when he feels overwhelmed.. Remember when he straight up left the race track and flew home when his Moto3 team pissed him off one weekend? People still keep giving him money and contracts, he still has something. He hasn't changed, and expecting him to at this point is an error on the part of anyone who employs him. Give the dude what he wants, and he's a weapon. Piss him off, and he's a toddler.

Pol? Yeah.. Nah.. You can't expect to keep a Repsol seat with that performance record. I'm not sure where he'd go.. 8 years in the premier class with no wins, 6 of those years were full factory rides. (I know.. KTM)

Nakagami?- I'm pretty sure hes out. Bring up Ai Ogura or Chantra, and give them a crack.

Lil Marquez? Must suck being in the shadow of his brother.. A lot of expectations with no real track record to warrant them.. Won Moto3 crown when a lot of the talent had thinned out, IMO Miller and Rins were his only real threats. Spent 4 years in Moto2 and didn't win that title until al lot of the talent had thinned as well.. Lost his Respol ride before the first time he even got to race in those colors. lol Put Canet on that bike and see what happens.

Dovi? If I were him, I'd go home and hang. I don't have much experience on a dirt bike, but they look real fun. He doesn't have anything to prove, and if he did he isn't going to be given the opportunity to do so.

Lil Binder? I'm on the fence about him.. But with a huge shakeup due to Suzuki, i can see him keeping the seat warm for a washed out rider, and being sent down to Moto2.

Morbidelli? I don't understand how he basically gets no heat. Where the hell has he even been? Last year if Maverick finished 12th they'd light his ass up on the pod casts, blogs, forums, social media, etc.. Morbz can just do whatever though... Very strange

Jack Miller? He will have a ride for sure.. I'd like to see him stay at factory, but he doesn't see to care if he goes back to Pramac. Everyone loves that kid.

Zarco? 5 years with no wins and a contract walk out. I dunno if he's got much opportunity left.. He is fast as shit though.

What really sucks, is that for the majority of the super talented Moto2 riders, they have no where to go. If Vietti wins the championship, where is he gunna go? VR46 gunna drop Marini or Bezzechi? Canet, Ogura/Chantra and MAYYYBE Arbolino havea shot at a seat, and thats IF THEY WIN the championship.

9. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Not to mention, Joe already turned down Aprillia.

10. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

BigBird likes this.
  11. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I’m not in love with Alex Marquez but if y’all are gonna discredit his championship because reasons, at least do yourselves a favor first and see how many current MotoGp riders he beat who now have MotoGp wins.

bit to mention he’s only ever ridden the Honda in Gp which is a pile of shit.

or keep making yourselves look stupid. Your choice, obviously.

lopitt85 likes this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Ball rubber. :Poke:

13. prm

prm Well-Known Member

‘23 rides will be determined by when, July? For WSBK, there are only two race weekends from now to the MotoGP break after Finland in July. There are 6 GP races now through Finland. Opportunities to earn a ride for next year are closing for GG. Open WSBK rides may be filled by some departing MotoGP guys. Cam and SDK probably remain next year. While I think Cam would be relatively better on a MotoGP bike, he doesn’t have the results to get a ride. Maybe Joe gets an offer? Definitely some seats at Yamaha and Honda that will need to be filled for next year. Whether anyone really wants those rides is another story.

14. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

A few people knocking Bezzecchi here but I don’t know why. Kid is a rookie outperforming Marini and gotten better every round.

BHP41 likes this.
  15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

GG is going to be lucky to keep a seat in WSBK, let alone having a snowballs chance for a motogp seat. Cam and SDK will also be lucky to stay in moto2, if they aren't already under contract for 2023.

16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Not sure on GG, but hopefully he keeps his ride.

I don't agree on Cam and SDK. Who is that team going to replace them with from America that would be better?

MyWayGuy likes this.
  17. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I could see VDS dumping Sam after this year and taking Cam if AR doesn't keep him. Escalante was pretty fast on that 600 as well.

18. dieterly

I definitely wouldn’t call the 2014 Moto3 season watered down, quite the opposite actually. However this year’s moto2 season is definitely “watered down”.

19. dieterly

He was about as fast as SDK, which doesn’t mean much outside the US.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  20. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I agree. When I stated GG is running out of time to earn a ride, I include WSBK in that. Perhaps a second tier Yamaha in MotoGP, but that is a big stretch right now and would only be a result of Dorna adding to the pot to have an American on the grid.

I think SDK is signed for next year. They had the plan of one year to learn, then worry about performance in year 2. I’d really like to know what’s going on there. He’s a better rider than he’s shown. Watching him at COTA he was visibly slower in the corners. Does the team lack some setup talent other teams have, or is it just that much different from production based racing?

Not sure about Cam, but I don’t see any better options.