1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stripped bolt hole

Discussion in 'Tech' started by tempestm, May 3, 2022.

1. tempestm

tempestm Well-Known Member

I stripped the bolt and the bolt hole for the front of my gas tank mounting point.

Other than re-tapping (which I'm going to try first), helicoil (which I have to run out to the store for) or time-serts (which, I think, are online orders only), any other suggestions that will fix this?

The gas tank mounting bolt doesn't require a lot of torque but it will see frequent action. So, solutions like loctite's form-a-thread or even JB-weld won't work.

2. genosr1

genosr1 Well-Known Member

you've mentioned the 2 best options, you could drill to next size bolt and retap new threads if room allows

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Retap it & use a post with a R/hitch clip
    [​IMG]

Will make your life easier at the track & to maintain

KneeDragger_c69, jd41 and evakat like this.
  4. tempestm

I didn't mention that my Scotts steering damper uses the bolt hole. That is a good idea though. I'll note that for future use. :beer:

5. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Steel Helicoil it, and forget it

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  6. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

You can actually make threads with jb weld that work well if you do good prep

They're not gonna hold any torque obviously but for thwt application I wouldn't be scared to try

Probably best to drill and re tap for a track bike getting rode hard.

Last edited: May 3, 2022
  7. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

8. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Serts are better stronger, but they are pretty pricey if you dont already have the kit. Helicoils are cheaper and both are steel wire

tempestm likes this.
  9. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Best to use a Helicoil as they’re stainless steel and require a smaller drilled hole than a Time-Sert. Plus, if you screw up, you’ll have the option of going the Time-Sert route.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  10. tempestm

Makes sense. I just bought the full kit since I didn’t have the tool. Not happy with the price. But oh well.

11. IrocRob

Timeserts are not "wire" - they are solid. Kind of a small tube with different threads on the inside and outside.

They are also available in stainless. Yes, they are a bit pricey but well worth it to me.

I have several of the kits in different metric sizes, people mess up threads alot.

12. tempestm

I bought a helicoil-like product called Fix-A-Thred since that's what the auto store had. I'm on a tight schedule and looks like the timeserts have to be ordered. I may have commented about that earlier in the discussion. Tomorrow, I will see if I am successful.

13. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

pretty sure a well nut will be ripped out the first time the damper oscillates against the tower pin mount

15. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

I like Keenserts but Timeserts are good too. McMaster has a variety of options and are usually only a day way.

16. IrocRob

I hadn't heard of Keenserts before, looks like a good product. Might have to try those next time
    I come across a stripped thread that I don't already have a Timesert kit for.
    Absolutely LOVE McMaster. Pretty often it's next day delivery here in NJ.

17. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

18. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Where could one get these ?

19. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

Sato racing

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  20. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member