1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do narcissists know what they are?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave Wolfe, May 4, 2022.

1. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I think the cowardice thing is
    of individual nature.
    When I say I don’t feel fear I mean that in the way of startle. there could be a potentially life threatening situation that suddenly arises and I don’t feel the initial pang of panic or instant life saving fear that is normally associated with psychopathic/sociopathic people. I am also unmoved by images/experiences of unsettling nature. With respect to our acknowledgment of other predators you’re spot on. We know another one when we see it and there’s usually an exchange of the eyes that takes place that let’s each of you know which one is the more dangerous either physically or mentally. though I am capable of physical violence I much prefer to torcher peoples souls. It lasts longer.

HOWEVER.

I have come to the realization that my instinctive tendencies, while beneficial in the short term have had detrimental consequences in the long term of my life. So I work toward doing the right thing despite myself in order to get more favorable long term outcomes. It doesn’t have anything to do with morals or sense of good and evil. And though I may not FEEL a sense of morality, I can still understand and defend it.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    CBRRRRR999 and SpeedyE like this.
  2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Has anyone asked Mongo? :D

sheepofblue likes this.
  3. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I accidentally responded to you in my response to speedy E. But I’d also like to add that your intimation of core fear/cowardice aspect could definitely stem from what initially caused their brain to move in that direction isn’t he first place. Abusive parents, trauma, etc. the need to control every aspect of your existence due to the fear of being in that situation again so to speak. making a victim of the world before the world makes a victim of you ever again. some people are just born predators though. some people just genuinely enjoy causing pain and suffering. I believe that these people are inflicting an internal resentment toward existence on the external world. Something like 1 in every 100 people has sociopathic/psychopathic tendencies. By and large (but not always) the ones who don’t have situations conducive to positive outcome as children are the ones who go on to be criminal, the ones that do go to be politicians and ceos and the like. They learn to harness that (perceived) benefit of amorality to achieve great success instead of needing to fill the hole inside of them with the suffering of others. Obviously outcomes run the gamut but generally speaking they fall along these lines imho

I worry about this with my 5 year old. She is extremely charming and has shown that she KNOWS what makes people tick. She also has this cold predatory stare that she gives when disapproves of something or is face with limitation or ethical/moral situations. Nothing you say in that moment will check that, you literally have to tell her once and then stare her down until she submits it she will walk all over you. I try to very logically explain feelings to her in regards to the way she affects others so she can be aware and navigate the world without causing undue harm and try to encourage her to do the right things for more positive outcomes.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  4. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Google "Machiavelli as satire/complete works (not just the Prince)/life". . .I think you'll be surprised at what you find; also, I think you'd be surprised at how much heinous shit has been committed by those who have an abundance of "morals" and/or empathy because, for the same reasons you listed above, when you are defending and fighting for your morals, or acutely "feel" pain and injustice that needs to be rectified, one can be capable of anything (it's actually a major reason why the Founding Fathers wanted a separation between Church and State given that the foundation for our collective moral code has a tendency to come from religion).

My friends who have high degrees of empathy, almost to a person - struggle on a daily basis because of all the "noise" they get from feeling what others' feel and consequently, having to filter through a healthy degree of negativity/toxicity (not of their own making) that goes along with being that open to others.

It's almost all relative/situational. There are sociopaths (or those with sociopathic tendencies, whether innate or learned) that do good (think soldiers). There are those with morals who do unspeakable things (think anything that has to do with religion).

We're all works in progress, and we're all capable of good and evil.

Just keep fighting your good fight man.

5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

6. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Lin Jarvis has no comment, as he thinks we are all waay beneath him and insignificant.

Dave Wolfe likes this.
  7. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

OMG, being back in the dating world... Dated a Narcisist for a couple months. Couldnt shake her. Fought like we were married 10 years. She was so toxic then blaming me for all our problems.

They really dont know its them IMO. Dating this new girl, been 3 months havent even a slight argument. Life is good. RUN AWAY! RUN FAST AWAY from that type. So toxic...

8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Have you read the Prince? It covers how a good ruler should rule as well as the application of force etc. Genghis was a great military commander but a horrible ruler as was shown by the Mongol empire falling apart. Similar to Alexander the Great. Maddoff was a moron and just prayed on the greed of others to his own temporary benefit.

9. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

If it was 100% correct, he would've spelled it "too".

SpeedyE likes this.
  10. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

The way things are going, this is going to turn out to be a vital survival trait for her.

11. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

I met a woman a few months ago. 30 mins later, shes taking those narc jabs at me, trying to get a rise out of me, control me, whatever the fuck they do to get their 'supply'. 5 yrs earlier I would have been clueless about it.

12. merle4

merle4 Menace to sobriety

No, I don't

13. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Meh, never met a human angel or devil.
    Narcissists tend to be aware of it and rationalize or justify their BS as they need validation.
    Sociopaths are rarely as self aware, in fact some are delusional. They rarely need external validation.
    Both on the surface defy social conventions but narcissists generally do it for attention and some gain.
    Sociopaths straight up don't give a shit.
    I am also in recovery from a lot of those characteristics and have developed a bit of empathy and compassion but even that is largely projected by relating others hardships onto myself.

14. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

A sociopath that knows it is one that accesses the cost and adjusts for most self benefit vs guilt. The ones that don't are the dangerous ones. Of course mess up the valuation and the aware ones might be worse.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  15. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Ive noticed Amber Heard, Meghan Markle, and Lori Lightfoot all have the same twisted look in their eyes. Narcs? Sociopaths?

16. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

you’re assuming a sociopath feels guilt. The calculation is based more on benefit/cost/consequence. Remorse does not exist and regret is a symptom of consequence/punishment. Even then they will just adjust tactics for next time. the only aim is to sharpen their skills. that’s what they get from punishment. Not a sense that they had done wrong. I have no problem doing something I am prepared to face the consequences for and can get away with. Legality /morality plays no part in the decision process. Well, that’s how I use to make decisions anyway.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  17. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I think a lot of people fall into the less clinical category of “attention whore”.

18. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

19. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

or maybe being open and honest about who you are to yourself and others can help you to become a person others think of as “good”… not for the purpose of manipulation but for genuine acceptance within your societal/familial construct. Keeping this shit to myself is hard. Especially when you literally see the angles in every situation and have impulses to satisfy yourself without the regard of others. being exposed helps me make the right decisions. If no one knew who I really was I’d be more inclined to take advantage of that. Like I said. In recovery.

SpeedyE likes this.
  20. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

[​IMG]

Slider82 likes this.