1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better Call Saul

Discussion in 'General' started by G Dawg, Feb 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

This bullshit would have been canceled after about three episodes if not for Breaking Bad. You could have condensed the entire arc of all 6 seasons into maaaaaybe 10 episodes and it still would have been slow as shit.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Someone’s bucking for a Chicago Sunroof.

ClemsonsR6 likes this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Breaking Bad survived an entire episode about a god damn fly. If they didn't cancel that…

G Dawg likes this.
  4. auminer

That was the 10th episode of season 3. The show was moderately established by that point.

BCS has had episodes with 10 fkn minutes of someone writing on post it notes.

Couple that with plot holes you could drive a meth laden Los Pollos truck through, and you have the streaming pile of shit that is BCS.

I'm somewhat of an expert. I recognize shit when I see it. :D

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Are you still watching the show?

6. auminer

Hush!

:D

I can't help it. Surely, eventually, they'll accidentally string a few decent episodes together.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Don't worry, I just need to assess the level of rationality I was dealing with. You answered. :D

8. auminer

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Overall, I think Breaking Bad is the best multi-season series I've ever watched. I rarely ever watch anything a 2nd time, but just decided to start over again on it, and am on the 3rd episode of season 1.

I also agree with @auminer if it weren't for Breaking Bad....Better Call Saul wouldn't have made it this far.

10. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Chuck was right. Allowing Slippin’ Jimmy to be a lawyer is like giving chimp a machine gun. Somebody shoot him already.

11. auminer

Some elaboration WRT rationality of continuing to watch such a frustratingly disappointing series.

Vince Gilligan took a show idea that multiple networks had passed upon and proceeded to make what is arguably the best television ever to be on television.

With the 'fuck you' money, and the 'fuck you' artistic Carte Blanche that the legacy of Breaking Bad bought him, Better Call Saul had the potential to be something that could forever be an unattainable Gold Standard of entertainment television.

It has utterly failed in every single regard. It does not tell an interesting story.

It does not tell the story in an interesting fashion.

It does have some fairly unique cinematography, especially during the opening clip of most of the episodes. That's about the only nice thing that I can invent to say about it, though.

It is very disappointing to me that a guy who believed in himself and the story that he had to tell enough to pull off what he did at AMC with Walt and Jesse could fail so utterly and miserably to utilize the clout his success earned him with the prequel.

It is truly boggling.

12. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Yeah, but Kim is kinda hot

BigBird likes this.
  13. auminer

In a third-rate kind of way. Much like the underwhelming nature of the show.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It was never that surprising to me. I assumed from the start that it was a money grab. He created something great and was rewarding himself financially. His original contract on Breaking Bad probably didn't pay him as much as it later turned out to be worth.

The only way I would have believed otherwise would have been for him to tell us halfway through Breaking Bad that his original vision included a prequel and that his current success was now making that possible.

Also, the step down from Breaking Bad isn't as high for me as it is for most of you guys. I really did love that show, but perhaps not to the extent that some of you guys did. It's likely in my top five, but it's not on the podium. So my disappointment is only moderate, I suppose.

15. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Still better than pretty much any other series out there unless you also throw in the extra cost stations like Amazon Prime, Showtime etc. Covid killed off a few series that I enjoyed watching.

16. Boman Forklift

So what’s your top 5, I need to line up a few more series through this year.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Crap, I was hoping no one would go there because that will actually require some thinking. :D

I don't know, man. Some of the answers might change one week to the next. But #1 is for sure The Wire.

The Sopranos, The Shield are probably in there. Game of Thrones lost some steam when the creator got writer's block but it might be in there on the strength of the first five or six years. I'm sure more will come back to me as people derail the thread.

I'm just doing dramas, by the way. If I start accounting from comedies, I'm going to fry my brain.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  18. BigBird

BigBird blah

Kim Wexler IS hot, even Lalo thought that

19. Boman Forklift

I liked The Wire, but was disappointed in The Sopranos. Probably because I had heard about it for 20 years and just watched it last year. For me it didn't match the hype. I imagine if I watched it in the early 2000's, I would have liked it much more, I just had too high of expectations. Haven't seen The Shield.

I tend to not like any superhero movies or things like that and have always assumed Game of Thrones was that way? I guess I will have to check it out sometime along with Westworld which I've heard is good.

I really enjoyed Succession and Mad Men if you haven't seen them.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If I had known what it was before watching the first episode, I would have never watched it. It is not at all my kind of content. And yet…

I've seen both, thanks.

The Americans?

Boman Forklift likes this.