1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best app for route planning a ride

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

My Garmin Zumo died and I don't see the point of getting another one if I can use my phone and earbuds.

Google maps sucks ass because when I plan a route it stops navigating every time I reach a point. It's so stupid.

I need an app I can plan routes (preferably twisty) and basically do what my Zumo did.

2. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

I’ve used Waze on two and four wheels. If you’re just looking there and back routes, it should work fine.

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Ride until you feel lost. Use Google maps to get you back home.

KneeDragger_c69, BigBird and auminer like this.
  4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

My Google maps doesnt do that.

5. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

The trick to Google Maps is to use the add stop option not dragging a little dot to add a waypoint. Once you have too many stops you may have to make a second link though.

BigBird and busa99 like this.
  6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I build the route by adding stops.

Every time I reach a stop the stupid thing quits navigating and I have to activate it to continue.

busa99 likes this.
  7. busa99

busa99 Well-Known Member

This.
    Put in a final destination. Then add stops

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

That's what I'm doing. It won't automatically continue after I reach a stop.

busa99 likes this.
  9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Ask Reddit :Poke:

10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Maybe upgrade your potato phone

BigBird likes this.
  11. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

True. I have to hit “done” and then “start” I think to continue on to the next point. It used to automatically proceed to the next destination, but they changed their code for some reason.

I’ve also had problems where I’ve drug each of the intermediate stops around on the map to minimize the number of stops needed and I accidentally aim a little off the road that I want to continue on and it won’t prompt me that I’ve arrived when I get there. It wants me to circle back so I can tag the exact spot I chose.

Steeltoe likes this.
  12. Critter

Critter Registered

rally navigator then just put it in a real GPS like a smaller garmin and you are good to go.. I use that to go offrod, onroad, really offroad etc

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  13. Phl218

Phl218 .

no. You have a start and 1 stop.

in between you grab the blue route and drag it, creating waypoints, not stops.

BigBird likes this.
  14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

https://support.google.com/maps/thr...efore-continuing-how-do-i-turn-that-off?hl=en
    https://support.google.com/maps/thread/9317340/google-maps-continue-after-waypoint?hl=en

Google Maps does not work for a continuous trip with multiple points-stops-whatever without having to prompt every single time you reach one.

Is there another app that can?

This. It's fkn useless on a motorcycle unless you are A to B only.

15. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Ritchie can draw you a nice map with his crayons

BigBird, YamahaRick, Steeltoe and 2 others like this.
  16. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Cheese & rice people. Toe, download the Straightaway app.

Steeltoe and Phl218 like this.
  17. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I know a number of people who have had good luck with Waze.
    I've had good luck with Kurviger, but you'll need to buy "Pro" for off-network routing/re-routing. And you'll have to manually update the offline maps, but it's worth it. You can build a custom route on their website, then export it to your device.

Steeltoe likes this.
  18. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Waze

TurboBlew likes this.
  19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I've used Waze for years but I remember running into the same problem as Google maps.

Kurvinger looks promising thanks!

stk0308 likes this.
  20. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Every time me and the missus have a destination vacation, we make it a point to take a day and do exactly this.

They've invariably been the most memorable moments of the trips.