1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yosh getting into Twins Cup

Discussion in 'General' started by Banditracer, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I made a few changes to this “standard” build.

https://www.hsbkracing.com/motorcycle-inventory/2021-aprilia-rs-660-hsbk-spec-track-race-bike/

I went with Ktech IDS forks and DDS shock, Arrow Ti exhaust, added paint and numbers and then some spares. There were a few shop supplies and fluids added too. Bike was 89HP at the wheel on their dyno. I’ll put my impressions into the RS660 thread once I ride it.

TurboBlew, Gino230 and Triple X like this.
  2. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Hiroshima pipes are the bomb.

969 likes this.
  3. swetngblts

swetngblts Well-Known Member

Just my opinion having raced sv's , the yamaha and now the Aprilia. The Aprilia is on a whole nother level.

Closer to $20K than $25K if DIY. Thats with all the bells and whistles, fancy nintendo buttons and all, sans LWT wheels. Can save even more if getting support on parts, labor, and selling off street stuff. Opportunist vendors did raise prices significantly in the last year though on some parts. No need for ECU. Gabros race tune, stacks and Upmap is good.

4. swetngblts

5. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

lolz they should be happy with 44 horse

FastByKids likes this.
  6. Monsterdood

It omits the spares too. I can’t race with just one set of wheels… I mean I can, but I won’t.

7. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

8. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

These numbers hurt my cheap-ass brain.

Gino230, TurboBlew and FastByKids like this.
  9. 650 RACER

650 RACER Well-Known Member

Dude. Lol

10. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Does this eliminate the lag from throttle application to the RPM actually coming up?

11. Monsterdood

The Upmap uploads a new map into the stock ECU. You can load the Aprilia Race ECU map or one of Gabros specific configuration maps. I’m still not clear on the differences with things like Check engine light elimination and other things the race ECU does.

12. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

I assume the lag you're referring to is sub 7500 rpm "hole" in the torque curve?
    The akro exhaust and tune fills that in a bit. It's still there, but not as obnoxious as the stock bike.

From the dyno comparison charts, the velocity stacks appear to help as well. "Gabro" (an Italian Aprilia builder, his line of parts is carried by AF1) is working ram air tubes, camshafts and other $$ parts. He's posting his development on AF1's forums.

At the end of the day, the bike has 48mm throttle bodies, revs to 11300 with 13.5:1 compression and makes Twins SB level power on 91 octane pump gas.
    The stock engine power band was always gonna be more narrow than a built R7.

Monsterdood and swetngblts like this.
  13. swetngblts

You probably have that much in Tri bikes now :beer:

t11ravis, Monsterdood and Gino230 like this.
  14. swetngblts

The only lag i notice is from the open circuit due to the blown fuse that connects my throttle hand to the neurotransmitters in my brain. A-G-E-

The Aprilias power delivery feels more like an inline 4 than than v twin or the yamaha. Keep the revs in the range and its a scud missle.

15. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I have never ridden one, one of my buddies who raced on a stock ECU said that the fly by wire throttle had a lag. I assume the race ECU would fix that.

I'm pretty heavily invested in the Yamaha so I don't see myself switching anytime soon. But as the Aprilias continue to improve, it will be the bike to have for all around LW competition.

16. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Spot on. Gus's 400 has the WSS300 kit and there is no ignition tuning possible, only fuel mapping, you get pretty much only what the package gives you. Not much of an advantage over the stock ECU with a good tune, but it does give you data logging which is why it's on the bike. His motor is 100% legal, I know this for a fact. The other components on the bike have no mods other than what is permitted.

I remember the complaining last year about the KTM, for me Tyler has demonstrated with his performance in Supersport this year that he was simply a better rider in Jr Cup.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  17. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

The RS660 has some quirkiness that one has to get used to. It is very sensitive to some components on the bike, even a small amount of dirt in some areas can cause problems. Aftermarket rotors on the rear can cause the quick shifter and blipper to flake out but I believe we have this solved. We have three 2021 models and the motors have been solid so far.

Overall it's a great race platform, and support from Aprilia has been superb. I really, really like the bike.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Waste of time last I talked to anyone who has tried it with the new methods of quality assurance on the manufacturing side.

YamahaRick likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They always get even more pissed when the cheater bike they're on gets beat :D

t11ravis and bpro like this.