1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica | 2022 | Round 3 | Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta | Braselton | April 22 - 24

Discussion in 'General' started by henry_carlson, Apr 22, 2022.

1. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

That was a great article with a good focus on the major issue: race direction.

That said, it doesn't address a confusing spot for me: where does the yellow flag take effect? Is it the general vicinity of the flagging station? or line of sight to the station? or is the flagging station the entry point to the yellow flag zone? or other? The article also mentions passing between T9 and T10A, but (to my knowledge) there was no flag at T9.

2. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

The rule for standing yellow reads "A standing yellow flag at the flag marshal post indicates that there is a danger ahead beside the track. Riders must exercise caution overtaking is forbidden up until the point where the green flag is waved."

So the answer to your question is unclear, it specifies where it ends but not exactly where it starts. It may start when the yellow is visible or at the flag station, but I really think this needs to be clarified.

There were two yellow flags, T9 and T10a. Green was in T11, although we were told in our meeting that the green was in T10b, which was inaccurate. A sketch provided by Race Direction indicated the green was in T10b, directly to the left of the "X" marking the downed bike. There was no flag station in T10b.

IMG_20220429_124027.jpg

3. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Holy shit, what a piece of artwork.
    Awesome they used two colors of ink.

4. Knarf Legna

IMO there are several issues that require review.

1. The clarity of the standing yellow flag rule. This includes the departure from FIM regulations and also the rule that most of the Jr Cup racers learn coming up through WERA and CCS.

2. The antagonistic attitude of the FIM Safety Director to team representatives who requested a meeting.

The penalty issued was discretionary, it is what it is. IMO it was heavy handed considering all of the circumstances, but we will live with it and move on.

Ducman851, ToofPic, TurboBlew and 4 others like this.
  5. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

It's Mongo's fault for not adapting FIM by not copying and pasting their rules.

Dontcha know he is ruining racing?

On a series note, you think WERA will mirror this flag rule anytime soon?

6. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I was standing on the fence straight across the track from turn 9, and with the flag stationary, I missed seeing it. I was standing with Richard Moore, and once the controversy ensued, he confirmed that the yellow flag was indeed displayed stationary at 9, being supported by a water bottle.

If I was racing a 400, drafting down 9 and setting up to brake into 10a on the last lap, with at least 5 other bikes, 3 wide, I'm sure I would not see a stationary yellow flag. Especially with the tan river rock gravel trap as a background.

7. 713

713 Well-Known Member

Where is the first green flag located in the artwork?

8. FastByKids

I think this might be a learning / teaching moment to the field.

Appears the corner workers hauled @ss to clear the bike. However this rider appears to be spectating a live race? In other series you often see racers running to get behind the wall.

Possible a sense of urgency (rider awareness) or the corner worker motivating the rider to get out of a impact zone and safely behind the wall MIGHT of changed things a bit?

[​IMG]

9. Knarf Legna

To the left of the "X", as we were told, which was wrong.

The felt marker was added by us to indicate where Gus made his pass.

L8RSK8R likes this.
  10. Knarf Legna

They actually dragged the bike through the trap toward the track, the diagram shows where it was moved.

11. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

No, this rider crashed at least 3/4 of a lap before this photo, after running wide on the exit of 10a, almost where 10b is beginning.
    The horizontal line drawn on the diagram to the right of the X, is the path of the crashed rider and bike, after the corner worker arrived, and had begun pushing the bike towards the 10a corner station. Squiggle on the right side indicates where rider is standing in this picture. I think they had dropped the bike and were watching out for their own safety, at this point.

We were expressing our dismay that they were not waving the yellow flags vigorously, given the potentially dangerous situation, if a rider had crashed in 10a, given the last-lap intensity we were expecting was coming.

ToofPic likes this.
  12. FastByKids

Thanks for the insight and clarification.

13. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

In the lone "race weekend" where I've ever putted around on track while others raced, and from the class I took in order to get my race license...my understanding is that it starts at the point of the first yellow flag, and ends at the point of the last yellow flag. So theoretically one could pass just before the yellow flag and be penalty free. You could also get a run on someone as you exit the last point that is yellow flagged, as long as you dont pass them until after you pass the yellow flag.

Would MotoAmerica's rules be any different?

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

Added for clarity. 69C09419-AEF6-4D8E-A1D8-AFD76833B76A.jpeg

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Are there still lights at the corners? As I remember they were close to the apex with a red and yellow light that is triggered by race control.

16. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

I think they should have shown a video, to me it is pretty ridiculous that they didnt. However, I question the "antagonistic attitude," I can certainly picture a reality where those rider daddy's were borderline apoplectic that their pride and joy's results were taken from them and maybe they were a little more hostile than is implicated in the article.

Also this "I didnt see it" excuse can not be adopted no matter if it was valid. that would set a terrible standard.

tophyr and badmoon692008 like this.
  17. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

Now that cracked me up, nice job with the update! :crackup:

G 97 likes this.
  18. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

The FIM should adopt the WERA rule.

19. Knarf Legna

Are you calling me a liar?

20. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

No, im sure that you felt they were rude and antagonsitic. I also reckon that race direction felt the same way towards yall...