1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mazzy Star..??

Discussion in 'General' started by long path/road, Apr 16, 2022.

1. long path/road

long path/road let's think about this!..??

get out and go where ? just question...??? why can't we and or not allowed to to still have fun?? your standards.... hmmm will say but also without knowing we were always allowed to have more fun before I guess

2. long path/road

as kids people etc..

3. Hondo

Hondo Well-Known Member

Possum Kingdom is one of the best songs ever written

4. long path/road

all about it my friend.... crapp!!! totally forgot about them crap and Ice.... that'll be on in the truck for rest of wk...

5. long path/road

thank you dang ...!

backcountryme likes this.
  6. long path/road

tantric? anyone? maybe yes no?

7. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Possum kingdom is a continuation of the song IBurn. In I Burn the character sets himself on fire to reach a higher consciousness. But he just ends up turning to smoke. Then in Possum Kingdom it is him trying to talk a woman into joining him so he won’t be alone. It is called Possum Kingdom because of the Smokey mist on Possum Kingdom lake. Kind of a cool story and with listening to the songs back to back.

27, CBRRRRR999 and Hondo like this.
  8. long path/road

mad season??

27 likes this.
  9. backcountryme

I saw The Toadies play a house party in Joshua Texas right before the album Rubberneck came out. That was a cool night.

27 likes this.
  10. backcountryme

And to go back to the first page of this thread. My work out music it typically anything by Tool.

27 and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  11. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

agreed. It’s pretty genius how it’s about a serial killer

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  12. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I thought the base player was from Muncie Indiana too... I agree great band or the little music we got from them at least

Music is a timing thing... the right musicians have to encounter each other at the right times in their lives for it to click in my opinion. That’s why long term good music from the same members is so rare

Helmet absolutely kicks ass too

@long path/road if you’re looking for female lead music or bands I can talk all day about it.

Look at Shakira 20
    Years ago, her Spanish mtv unplugged is spectacular, even if you don’t speak Spanish, no need music is all lingual. Her pop/English stuff is all trash but she used to be a passionate artist I saw her when in Mexico one year and listened for years before she made it North and was ruined. She’s actually Libyan and Columbian and both culture’s music shines in her early works.

PJ Harvey is on the hard side but some is really good

Natalie Merchant with 10k maniacs is Incredible, again the unplugged series is great.

You asked how we all found all the music all those years ago and it’s just the scene you’re into, when I wasn’t racing I was playing and chasing music. Some of the best decades in life for sure.

13. 27

27 Well-Known Member

They didn’t make it unfortunately... they peaked as an opener for UO in Chicago at the Riviera. This is why I never miss opening acts. They were incredible, I didn’t even know there was a video or any performances online until I just looked.

Actually the violinist opened my eyes to the range of my favorite instrument and sent me on a lifelong pursuit of playing it. Much of my style still sounds similar as that is the first song/album I learned and was lucky enough that my band mates were open to adding it to my vocals. One simple encounter can change your life... so enjoy them all as you never know which ones will do it.

Another is Grant Lee Buffalo who opened for Pearl Jam in a 2000 capacity arena in Cleveland before the exploded. Absolutely life changing music.

One of my all time favs was a barely regional band that is only on an old iPod as the disc was lost... no digital copies anywhere and I need to back up that old iPod...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  14. 27

27 Well-Known Member

And Furthermore... I’m not negative about it as Mike Judge has great taste in Music... but nearly every band, that we all know and are talking about were featured on Beavis and Butthead... they’d watch videos and make comments about good and bad bands...

I remember them saying how Helmet looked all normal and you wouldn’t know they were cool or rocked if you saw them on the street :D

Hate to be defined by an immature cartoon but if it fits I guess...

15. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Never knew that

16. backcountryme

It isn’t about a serial killer. I explained what it was about in an earlier post. There is a documentary about the Toadies making the album and Vader tells the story about I Burn and Possum Kingdom and how they fit together. It is a pretty interesting doc if you like that sort of thing.

27 likes this.
  17. backcountryme

Man. I forgot about PJ Harvey. She was awesome. Tori Amos was another good one back in the day. Bjork was fun too.

ToofPic likes this.
  18. 27

27 Well-Known Member

If you happen to watch Peaky Blinders most of the music is either PJ Harvey or Nick Cave. I saw Nick Cave at one of the Lallapaloozas and didn’t like him but the stuff on the show has been good. PJs stuff ranges from her old stuff to new, to me at least.

Tori Amos and Maynard have some collaborations too that are ok. Bjork... there is a recent one, Aurora that reminds me of her, strong quirky lyrics.

19. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

huh. I just read up on it. I always assumed that he was a serial killer talking about his next victim. And the video where he’s dragging the body

20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

But a difficult song to cover. We've tried it a few times in the last couple of weeks and I personally can not get that drum beat down. It's got a weird timing structure. We finally said fuck it.

long path/road and backcountryme like this.