1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racebox Mini

Discussion in 'General' started by code3ryder, Mar 24, 2022.

1. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Has anyone bought into or even looked at it? Seems like a pretty good deal for what it claims that it's going to do.

https://racebox.pro/products/racebox-mini

Maybe just wait till they actually ship and let other be the guinea pigs?

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I've seen that advertised it'll be interesting to see if it works because there is a gap in the industry between using your phone and aim solo

code3ryder likes this.
  3. code3ryder

That's kind of what I was thinking.

4. bluebandit2g

bluebandit2g Well-Known Member

I did the kickstarter campaign thing when they were just getting it going so i should be getting one in before long. I think the last update i saw was sometime in April

Youpaiyou and code3ryder like this.
  5. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

I don't think it's that big of a step up from a smartphone paired with an external GPS. A 10hz Qstars is $80 or something? Pair to an old smartphone and use a free app.

6. Youpaiyou

Youpaiyou Well-Known Member

Same! I’ll report back once I receive it.

7. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

8. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Nice that it's 25hz. I tried the Qstarz and just don't like not having a laptime display.

Youpaiyou likes this.
  9. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

It looks like the functional different btw RaceBoxMini and Qstars is that the Mini actually records the data, not your phone. So you phone shouldn't need to be on you when riding. That's good at the track. But I'm not sure that people in this market will care or notice the functional difference between the two.

Other start-ups have tried to make cheaper Solo's. They usually fold after a couple of years.

10. Youpaiyou

I think the race box mini is new but race box itself isn’t new. The 25hz is definitely cool and the fact that it allows other apps, e.g., Harry’s

11. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

The Qstarz recorded the data but you couldn't see any lap times while riding. If your phone shows you the laptimes from the Race box mini in real time that would be great, but I wouldn't want to risk trashing my cellphone in a crash. I suppose you could buy a cheap sacrificial cellphone but then the whole cost of ownership starts to make less sense.

Gixxerguy855 and stangmx13 like this.
  12. Youpaiyou

It arrived today. I’ll test it out soon and provide feedback.

Attached Files:

KneeDragger_c69 and G2G like this.
  13. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Ive just used my old phones after upgrading.

14. code3ryder

awesome! really looking forward to seeing how you like it.

15. Youpaiyou

I used it today at Chuckwalla. It’s very easy to use. It’s very intuitive. For example, it new that I was at Chuckwalla so I didn’t have to go hunting for tracks. Best yet, I didn’t have to specify that the track was in the counterclockwise layout. I mounted the device under my seat cowl using Velcro. Obviously, that is not ideal but I didn’t notice any issues. In fact, I didn’t experience a single bug the entire time.

mattys281-2 and code3ryder like this.
  16. code3ryder

I was just going to check in with you. Glad it's so easy to use.

17. racerx13

racerx13 Well-Known Member

In addition to the raceboxmini gps do you need to have a phone on your bike or is it a stand alone recorder?

18. Youpaiyou

A phone is required. I have an old iPhone so I don’t mind.

19. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

And that’s the kicker. Hopefully they’ll develop something that doesn’t require the phone to be on you while on track!

20. racerx13

racerx13 Well-Known Member

Look into litpro. They use a stand alone gps receiver which can be purchased on Amazon.

no cell phone required.