1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did Synthetic Oil Kill a Suzuki DR-Z400SM (Super Motard)

Discussion in 'Tech' started by beathiswon, Apr 17, 2022.

1. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

OK, been riding over 50 years, studied more about oil for motorcycles than I can remember and I thought the "synth oil can harm some engines" myth had been put to death. BUT, a guy I know who said his Suzuki 400 single, supermoto engine "blew up", according to his mechanic, because he switched to Motul's best synth oil and he should only run non-synth. My friend is a very smart guy and has been riding/wrenching for a couple decades himself but believes the mechanic. Don't know the year of the bike or what "blew" in the engine but says the mechanic was adamant that the synth oil caused it and he won't believe anything else. I call BS, what say the wise forum members?

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

has the wrench been doing mechanics for 30 years?

StaccatoFan and Phl218 like this.
  3. beathiswon

Ha, good question. The friend was a little lacking in info such as, what does he know about the mechanic and what exactly went wrong with the engine but that's all I got.

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'd find a new mechanic.

5. beathiswon

Good advice.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

ask your friend if he volunteered the type of oil to the wrench. Theres a real easy way to tell for less than $35.

7. beathiswon

Yeah, unfortunately it happened a couple years ago so no oil specimens available.

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Of course it blew up. That low-revving, under-powered lump designed for light-duty street/trail riding could barely contain itself when subjected to the high-revving, most likely power-modded use as a racing machine. It became too high strung from the ease at which it rotated and reciprocated when fed the ultra-slick oil.
    So, yeah, it was the oil. :D
    <edit> Oops. Sorry. Tech forum...no shenanigans. My bad.

9. beathiswon

Ha ha. Well, now that makes perfect sense. Just too slick.

10. fastfreddie

I bet it was fast tho'! Just like a two-stroke, right up until the point it holes a piston.

In the case of what was likely sustained high rpm operation in a four-stroke, I'd go with ignition problem. With high rpm valve float, possibly to the point of a shim displacing itself, a valve could have hit the piston, got bent and didn't fully seat. The spark plug couldn't fire the air/fuel mixture 'cause there wasn't any. Never mind the new dome configuration and other damage that may have preceded the ignition problem. :D

I can't readily see any other explanation. Could have been lack of maintenance on the valves, too. A quality oil would have had zip to do with it.

Of course, unless you see the damage, there's no telling what really happened.

11. beathiswon

I'm afraid we'll never know. I'm just trying to talk some sense into my friend but maybe he'll never believe it was anything but the oil.

12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Or maybe it was the BNG?

13. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Depends is the oil fill hole on the right or left side of the engine?

14. fastfreddie

They musta been really bad but, for sure, graphics can kill a bike. No doubt. :D

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

To answer the initial question - hell no it wasn't the oil. I ran full synthetic racing oil from a number of different brands depending on what I had on hand in mine and it lasted fine with my large ass on it doing 80 or more in interstates for an hour solid, running around in the mountains, a track day or two, and being raced by a number of different people.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  16. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

It has. This thread is cringey.

17. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You could run that engine on mineral oil and it would last a while so something else is going on besides the oil

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Ah, she was a pretty good old whore, too.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

She was indeed. Went on to do a number of dual sport rides out west after her racing days were over :D