1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NSR250 MC28 Track Day Tires

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by yitty, Mar 28, 2022.

1. yitty

yitty Member

I have a few questions regarding track day tires for the NSR250..

I was a middle of the pack A-group track rider on a 600 and always ran slicks with warmers.

I have no experience on a small displacement 2-stroke but I just picked up an NSR250 that will be a track bike only... my 2 questions are slicks/no slicks and size.

Does anyone run slicks, is it difficult to keep the tires up to temp? Or run something more street oriented like a Diablo Rosso III etc. ?

Next question is size. the 110/70 is pretty easy to come by but the 150/60 rear options seem to be pretty limited (Diablo Rosso III has a 150/60)

I can run a 160/60 but does anyone have real experience with a 150/60 vs a 160/60 ? Will it be REALLY noticeable? Also if I run 160/60 am I better off running 120/70 up front, or is the 110/70 fine ?

thanks in advance for any help

2. yitty

yitty Member

Pirelli also has the 140/70 rear if anyone is running that... I think that's what the MotoAmerica 390's are running...

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

slicks most definitely...
    I would look at the tire dimensions... and discuss with your vendor. Im assuming the rear rim is 4.5" in width?

4. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

There will be a ton of opinions so I'll just give my (limited) experience.
    My girl and I are new to small bikes and both race Ninja 400's running about 2:10's at Buttonwillow. We had the same question.

Currently she's on SC3 Pirellis and I'm on Dunlop slicks (treadless Q4). Back to back I don't see a difference at speed other than the tires different profile. According to tire wear, they both get hot enough. The only difference is confidence in turn #1! I'm sure a sighting lap and a warm-up lap are plenty to get the DOT's hot, but knowing you just came off the warmers is that extra little bit of 'send it' when the green comes out.

Once the slicks are dead, I 'think' I'll be switching to DOT's. The grid is split about 1/3 DOT, 2/3 slicks but I honestly feel the small bikes power and speed match a DOT's max grip at a lower temp, and even better suited to a colder or dusty track. They should last a little longer too. I'd also prefer not having to haul all the junk that comes with slicks. Warmers/gennie/noise/extra gas/front stand/wrapping un-wrapping/checking if they blew the breaker again...

5. yitty

yitty Member

thanks for the replies... and yes 4.5'' rear. so has anyone run the 140/70 on these bikes ? Sounds like an intriguing alternate to the 150/60 that came stock.

I am open to other brands but I'm also very used to the supercorsas, both DOT and slicks and would rather stay with Pirelli

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

7. Kiwi

Kiwi Well-Known Member

Have you looked at Michelin power cup evos, designed for the the smaller bikes they do a 150 and 160, I have them on an Aprilia rs250 and rg500.

yitty likes this.
  8. yitty

yitty Member

thank you I will take a look at those as well. thanks for everyone's help and suggestions

9. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Do you have a 3" front rim on that one?

165 slicks are made for 4.5-5.5" wheel on light weight bikes. We use those on 250 street based and GP based bikes all over. Check them out on Bridgestone and Dunlop here

www.stickboyracing.com

10. yitty

yitty Member

I measured and looks to be 3.5'' front and 5'' rear. Was there a 5'' magtek? Everything I've read is that they are 4.5'' but mine definitely looks to be 5''... based on the measurements I ended up just sticking with what I know 120/70 and 160/60 Pirelli Slicks

thanks for everyone's help and suggestions

11. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

The 120/165 is the proper set up for that bike. The Bridgestone is the only tire in the country that was designed with a bike like that in mind (GP 250's specifically). We have so many of those bikes all over the country that we put tires on. When we get done with those tires, let us know if we can help with anything.

12. zx250r

zx250r Well-Known Member

Is your rs250 mk2? What sizes do you run?

13. Kiwi

Kiwi Well-Known Member

Mk1 110 frt 150 rear

14. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

The NSR's all have 3" front 4.5 rear, 110 front or sell em a 125 gp rear and run it backwards,..