1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out of state registration

Discussion in 'General' started by tl1098, Apr 7, 2022.

1. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Anyone registered a bike or car out of state from where you live?I've heard S.Dakota is a possibility.I'm
    trying to get around NYS new aftermarket exhaust law. I know,Iknow I should just move but I heard here
    everywhere decent is full.

2. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Iowa allows me to license and insure vehicles without having an IA drivers license. You would have to have a valid Iowa address to mail the title to, however.

5axis likes this.
  3. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

In CA we have all the same stupid restrictions, but I've learned that the roadside smog/registration places often care more about making a living than about their state's ridiculous laws.

When I registered my land cruiser, I asked a friend who owns some heavily modified cars where to go. He sent me to a guy who barely looked at my truck. They didn't even have rollers for an AWD vehicle so they just tested it in neutral outside the door. Ask around.

4. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Eventually, you could still get a ticket for not registering your car where your primary residence is. Are there counties in NY that don't do emissions testing? I just moved to Arizona and found out they do a visual on diesels in Phoenix, and the kitty-cat somehow fell off my van that I bought in Oregon. Where there is no diesel test. Took the cops about a week before one of them asked about my out of state plates. Current plan is to register it in Yuma where they don't do testing. That way, it's still an AZ plate when I'm driving around.

5. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I live in MD but tag all of my vehicles in SD. Pretty simple process, they only require a bare minimum of documents and info.

-Current title
    -Copy of bill of sale
    -Copy of your DL
    -Proof of SSN
    -SD Title Application

No safety inspection, no emissions inspection, no insurance requirement.

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Hogans gonna be soooooooo upset with you!!!!!:D

7. joec

joec brace yourself

No wonder why we can't get potholes patched. Ps....hope you're good dude! Im back over on the east side.

8. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Yeah fuck that fat pos!

Where you at now?

9. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Is SD the place with the ridiculously hot governor that still believes in freedom ?

5axis likes this.
  10. Greg ZX6R

Greg ZX6R Well-Known Member

Yep, that's the place.

11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Dayum! Despite her hotness, it’s still too cold in the winter.

420B7A09-50D1-4C73-940B-EE58B897CD2A.jpg

12. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Kristy Noem, and yep!

13. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

sweet baby jesus

take my money and my vote

ducnut likes this.
  14. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

She has that same jacked up face skin that Tulsi Gabbard has, but I ain’t too mad.

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Do you keep a domicile address in SD? Are you active duty?

16. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

People with UTV's, SxS's, RZR's....whatever you prefer to call them....will get an out of state registration from South Dakota for their UTV. I know some personally that have done it in Ohio. You don't need a SD address or anything. It's literally called an 'out-of-state registration'. Give a small town county courthouse a call and they'll send you the paperwork. Fill it out, send $60-ish to them and they send you your plates.

All you need is a turn signal kit, horn, mirrors.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  17. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I’m a legal resident of MD, I’ve never even been to SD!

It seems crazy, but they will title and tag vehicles for out of state residents. There are a few other states that do it as well.

It’s free money for them. They know most of these vehicles will never drive on a SD road.

tl1098 likes this.
  18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

interesting... most States have exceptions for military. Good info

19. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

The way a lot of car collectors and movie car companies get around the issue is to set up an LLC in Montana and register the vehicles with the corporation. The issue with just tagging a vehicle in South Dakota or Vermont (if you fixing a title problem) comes up when you get pulled over. The police are going to have an issue with your SD registration and your New York (or whichever) state driver’s license. Those things are supposed to match up, and they can take exception when they don’t.

20. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Yes I think that could be a potential issue. Since I started running SD tags I’ve been pulled over several times for various offenses, and the police don’t seem to really care about it.