1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica 2022 silly season

Discussion in 'General' started by kenessex, Sep 20, 2021.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Slowly becoming illegal for STK1000 throughout the year?

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

That's not what I'm perplexed about. Why bother competing in STK1000 at all if you are already a full SBK entrant? Why do extra practice sessions, qualifying, and races to be more tired for your SBK races? Why have to setup and learn 2 different bikes? In a sport of marginal gains, it all should matter - it all might make them slower in SBK. Why spend the extra $$? Do real pro racers do extra races just for the track time? Is that a thing? :confused:

G 97 likes this.
  3. stangmx13

Probably. It doesn't take much to be illegal for STK1000. Head work, cams, swingarm, forks, brake calipers, electronics of course. Head work & cams is probably what I would do first.

4. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I would think electronics would be first followed up swingarm and forks. This is all assuming you have the personnel to get those working. If you don't have the personnel to get those working, you really are not running SBK. More power is only useful if you can actually put it to the ground and it doesn't mess up the handling.

Gino230 and 27 like this.
  5. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

Worked ok for Freddie Spencer.:)

malamute and 27 like this.
  6. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

probably because you think you can win in STK1000 and know you can't in SBK. So you do the SBK for the money, and STK1000 for the title and the chance to get picked up for a "good" SBK ride

Gino230, Bburns912 and 27 like this.
  7. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Prize money? Contingency?
    Being a front runner at Stock1000 can bring more money than what you would spend registering and running those races.
    The whole travel a crew cost would be about the same if you do SBK only or SBK and Stock. The extra tires/fuel/wear and tear might be less than the contingency.

27 likes this.
  8. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Yes quite often in the past for sure. Many Superstock riders entered Superbike for the extra track time to get their bikes as good as possible. Then they would scratch from SB, even factory supported riders. Some ran both and got paid privateer bonuses and contingency...

One thing you said is way off... no full time dedicated racer would be negatively affected physically or mentally by more track time. Everyone is used to training all the time for much longer daily than both classes allows.

Many times the last laps of the last race of the weekend were the fastest times for many.

9. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

ajcjr likes this.
  10. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Also heard this weekend at Buttonwillow that M4 was running 750's this season, anyone confirm that?

lopitt85 likes this.
  11. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I hope so...

12. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

They are working on developing the ride by wire for that bike with another company. I think the first unit got shipped to them last week.

ajcjr likes this.
  13. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Tyler Scott lands with Team Hammer. Glad to see it. He will be properly mentored.

14. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

I dont think anything in the rule book stops them from running 3 bikes. remember when Dovi sued HRC to be on the 3rd bike lol

15. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

JL said to have a 1:51 and RE with a 1:54 which is hauling the Mail around this 2.7 mi circuit! Both were doing a bunch of pit lane adjusting so I bet they could go even faster! The two wheel drifts out of 15 to the pit wall were downright impressive! God loves electronics, those GSXRs almost sounded like triples at times.

Suzuka_joe likes this.
  16. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I am unfamiliar with the track. What kind of lap times club racers do there?
    Any lap times for Paasch?

3 seconds faster than Escalate is HUGE, but again, it was just testing.

17. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

Eagles Canyon is a private track mostly geared towards cars, but a bike membership can be had for a healthy price. There are some videos on YT, just make sure you’re looking at the newer stuff as the new owners repaved and have dumped millions into the place. I know Ty Howard works out there doing private stuff and I’d say he’s most likely the fastest dude to be there, but no idea on a lap time for him.

18. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

this summer will be the first time CMRA goes to ECR on the new surface. I know the fast fast fast members are 1:57-59 but thats with a SC3 rear tire as the soft tires just get shredded in a session. Its a very abrasive surface. The track is 15 turns, 2.7mi and can be ran in both directions. Not surprised in JL did some 1:51s, it wasn't his first time to test there and I'll be surprised if the experts on a 1000 dont see 1:53's this summer racing.

The track to me is very similar to High Plains in Co

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  19. stangmx13

Ya thats the only thing that makes sense so far. The STK1000 purse won't cover expenses for those races, but extra manufacturer contingency might.

There are plenty of occurrences in GP and WSBK that contradict this. IIRC, even Herrin spoke about it some when he doubled up at Laguna.

Setting a fastest laptime at the end doesnt mean they wouldn't have gone even faster with less effort and more recovery throughout the weekend. That's part of how "margin gains" works.

20. 27

27 Well-Known Member

To clarify... a racer at the level that they would run SS and SB both will benefit more from the track time than they would the extra rest... imo

We’re not talking about factory riders, and certainly not MotoGP or WSB riders, that test endlessly and can extract the most out of every tire and their physical abilities every lap...

We’re talking about riders that the only time they ride is the race weekends and have limited resources for tires and those riders, in my experience, from doing this exact thing myself, can benefit more from the extra track time than the rest.... but I was known to ride endurance stints at the same pace sometimes two hour stints in a row... so maybe I was I better shape than I thought... I’m my own biggest critic so maybe...

Gino230 and ajcjr like this.