1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Sport Bikes?

Discussion in 'General' started by tjnyzf, Mar 29, 2022.

1. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

FB_IMG_1620082624934.jpg

2. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Why would you buy a used WR250 for 5K, if you can get a brand new KLX300 for not much more? I owned a WR250X a long time ago, great bike. Bought me a brand new KLX for about 6K last summer.

3. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

Inventory….dealerships have nothing around here.

stk0308 and TurboBlew like this.
  4. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

It took me about 20 days of waiting. Put down a deposit, and got a call back in less than a month.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

unfortunately thats not the case buying these days. Your $5600 msrp bike will be around $8500 otd with "market adjustment" pricing. Thats if a dealer has stock.
    And thats not an apples to apples comparo as that Yamaha had a higher msrp.

6. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

Dealer here wouldn't take a deposit as he told me he won't be getting anymore bikes this year. I had to swoop up the KLX110R for my grandaughter earlier than I was planning on buying, because he had just sold one of the two that he had. He said there was a possibility he would get another one in June, but no guarantee.

7. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I've never owned either one but a friend has a 300 and it seems more cheaply made than the WR. KLX is made in Thailand and WR is made in Japan I believe.

8. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Kawasaki demo days are coming around. Set yourself up to test ride a Klx300sm. Then go get one, Knock the mirrors off because you won't look back. Haha

9. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

Found a dealer about an 1.5 hours away that will be getting in a KLX300 in a few weeks but the out the door price is $7558.

Going tomorrow night to look at the WR250R and the YZF426 that's been converted into a dual sport. The YZF is $2000 cheaper than the WR, but I'm wondering if the 426 is going to be too much for a rider with no dirt experience and just following the grandaughter around.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  10. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Having ridden both, I'm guessing you will find the WR250R to feel muted, but refined, as the more 'modern,' street bike that it is. The YZ426F will be a bit more challenging to start without a button, and brutally powerful. I suggest you feel the exhaust pipe and cylinder head to see if he's started it recently, before you arrived. The WR250R and the KLX300 will always start, when your grandaughter takes off riding. Please remember that important point.

11. james weaver

james weaver Well-Known Member

someone have a idea about what my 2003 wr 250 might be worth. reasonably equiped .alloy skid plate aluminum radiator guards renthal bars. oil changes and filters. plastic a little ruff.always been a woods bike.at 80 im not capable any more

12. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

Yeah, i re-read the earlier posts others made about the 426 and talked myself out of it about 10 minutes after I posted that. $2k isn’t worth the regret I likely have…

stk0308 likes this.
  13. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

2013 WR250R found it's way into my garage last night! Going to the DMV on my lunchbreak so I can ride it back to work this aftrernoon before the cold weather returns for the weekend.

cBJr, bullockcm, Raceless man and 5 others like this.
  14. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

So, what do you feel about your choice after a few days? I'm presuming the weather there allowed you to ride, of course.

15. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

I've ridden it twice. Just short ride back and forth to work and then a 15minute ride out to my son's house and back. Haven't gone off road yet.

It's about what I was expecting. Certainly is more fun riding pot hole ridden streets than on a sportbike. The seat is not very comfortable after about ten minutes on the street, though I suppose off road you really don't sit on it like you do street riding. I don't really have any off road experience so I don't really have any expectations when it comes to that yet. I think I need some taller handle bars as the first time I tried riding in a standing position I felt like I was going to fall over the front wheel LOL!

16. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

Picked up the Grandaughters bike yesterday and got her outfitted with gear...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I had a WR250X as well. It was great for getting around the weekend traffic in Sedona, was OK on some of the canyon roads around her and it could handle some forest roads with the street tires. I wish I had thrown on a set of the 17 inch Pirelli trail tires. I might have kept it as a small ADV bike. My had some quality mods but was still way underpowered and super soft suspension for road use. Sold it for premuim $$ a few months ago

Attached Files:

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you can try pushing the bars up a few mm in the clamp. Lots of options in the bar clamp. Carry tools on the first rides to make control adjustments on the fly.
    You will likely come to enjoy the lose feeling of dirt riding.
    Like any body position its an evolution of feel

tjnyzf likes this.
  19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

If ridden aggresively - on the gas and moving fast - your upright stance will involve a lot of "bent knee" standing, almost a half-squat. In that position, I'd bet it all comes together. Riding it in a standing position like one might on an ADV biker - knees "slightly bent" - yeah, the bars are gonna feel out of place.
    I don't know the price break between bars and risers, but I'm guessing risers would be the least expensive option. You can find them in various heights and some are "reversible", allowing you to position them fore and aft. Sometimes, a perceived need for height is, in reality, a need to move the bars closer.

20. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

Yeah, it will be awhile before I do anything to it. This year is mostly going to be teaching the grandaughter how to ride, so not likely going to be doing mostly slow paced easy trail riding.