1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

There are also some decent .22lr uppers for Glock platform pistols that are worth checking out if you already own one of those.

britx303 likes this.
  2. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

No Glocks, actually a Sig guy myself - but to be honest for this unit; function and budget reign.

3. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Broome had both the little, and big (TP9-SFX). Based on his reccomendation, I bought the TP9-SFX ($600)
    I shot it side by side with my buddy's Walther Q5 (~$1,800).
    I shot them both the same and the Walther felt like it had a slightly better trigger, but IMO, not a 3x the cost.

I believe the Mete is the next iteration of the SFX.

Generally, the TP9-SFX is a very good gun and good value for the price.

RonR and wsmc42 like this.
  4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

How does the ATF track trigger assemblies?

5. Jedb

If you have a Sig 229 or 226, see if you can find the conversion kit. Old link, but should give you an idea of what to googles.
    Used the same lower, and just changes the slide/magazine. Gets you lots of trigger time for much cheaper.

https://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2008/03/03/sig-sauer-22lr-pistol-conversion-kits/

sharky nrk likes this.
  6. Jedb

The forced reset trigger uses a combo of springs to enable one shot on pull, and one on release.
    The ATF is now pushing the angle that this is not one shot/pull, and so the current forced reset triggers are being classified as machine guns.
    Not sure if the ATF is allowing post-purchase filing to "correct."

I haven't looked at it in depth yet.

7. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

By track like how do they know who has one? they go through the records at the company selling them and see who bought them. Same way they have sent letters to all those form 1 can folks telling them they are illegal.

8. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Seriously? he's got Vudoo Ravage written all over him...

Jedb likes this.
  9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I think that's the whole point of the exercise (money grab). Or do you really think they're trying to save the innocent children?

10. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

To be fair, I'm not aware of any prosecutions thus far, just lots of threats and based on my Google law degree, it doesn't seem like it would hold up in court anyways.

That said, I have no desire to own FRTs or even binary triggers for that matter regardless of legality. Just sending money aimlessly downrange doesnt really do it for me. That said, if it's your thing, I say go for it. As long as they're shipping and selling, you're probably relatively safe. They'll put a stop to that before they go after individual owners. And even then, it's not a highly regulated item (e.g. title II stuff such as SBRs, suppressors, etc.) so even if they do come looking, the boating accident method should work just fine. :crackup:

11. redtailracing

I believe you are thinking of a binary trigger. If I recall correctly, forced reset works by literally forcing the reset against your finger. So you just hold the trigger down and it mechanically actuates the reset against your finger then reengages as opposed to how an auto-sear works with no reset.

Also, if they're calling it a machine gun, there is no post-purchase filing that can be done for the average joe. You'd have to have the appropriate FFL, SOT, etc. Machine guns do not fall under title II regulations like SBRs, suppressors, etc. They require actual licensing.

edit: referring to post-86 machine guns above. not preban transferables.

12. Jedb

So, Franklin is ok (Binary) but the forced reset is not. At least I know what to avoid now.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    :beer:

13. Jedb

I think the challenge with the ATF is that, depending on enforcement, the interpretation is up to the specific agent(s) involved, or regional supervisors, etc.
    As a result of that, there's some pretty significant inconsistency.

I think the money ($200 per) is incidental to the ruling (based on interpretation) and not a key driver.

14. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Bergara's are an elegant weapon, from a more civilized age. I see Broome as more of a 22/45 with shiny stuff and gizmos kinda guy

[​IMG]

Jedb likes this.
  15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I don't normally go for Gucci guns but the new Zev P226 SAO? Kinda want.

16. redtailracing

Yea, to my knowledge they haven't gone after binaries like Franklin or Fostech. Just the FRTs from rare breed and one other company that I can't recall.

Jedb likes this.
  17. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I carry the 365 XL with a Holosun 507 . My wife has the standard 365. We went tho the range recently and shot both. My wife had not shot in a little while and her first grouping at 10 yards with her 365 was a little all over. I handed her my XL with the red dot and she shot immediately brought the grouping in to about 8" diameter. She went back to her 365 and then shot much better. I think the red dot just helped her get her sight picture lined up faster and better. Since then I have been thinking of upgrading the slide on her gun to one with the optics plate. In an emergency situation, I think just needing to put the dot on target would be a huge benefit.

I have been comparing the 365, 365x and the XL. The X looks interesting with the shorter slide but the longer grip. I plan to put her slide on my XL next time I am at the range. The X or the XL, I think you would be happy. Great carry guns with 12 round capacity. I am only 5'8 and 150 and I don't have trouble concealing the XL.

tony 340 likes this.
  18. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

There's no paper work is you were to buy one. They would have no way of knowing who they were sold to if it ever comes to that.

19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

As stated above- " they go through the records at the company selling them and see who bought them. Same way they have sent letters to all those form 1 can folks telling them they are illegal."

I suppose you could go buy one with cash at a local shop... otherwise- yeah, they can find you

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  20. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Hadn't seen that one. I make fun of Sig for all their blingy editions, but they are definitely also doing some cool things. I kinda want an AXG Pro with some brass Lok grips for CO.

Steeltoe likes this.