1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Sport Bikes?

Discussion in 'General' started by tjnyzf, Mar 29, 2022.

1. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

F350 Dually with the 6.7 diesel.

Oh wait! Sorry. Wrong thread.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

[threadjack]
    Is that big enough for my 6x10 cargo trailer?
    [/threadjack]
    :D

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  3. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

Btdt…according to the weight police on the RV forums my toyhauler is too big for my truck LOL!!!

4. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Who's the crazy fuckah that took his sport bike on a motocross track?
    He's on here somewhere.

I think from Portland or close.
    ridardo-domingos-action-1.jpg

Phl218 likes this.
  5. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Things are a blast to tool around on! Love riding mine more than my pimped out DR650.

6. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

As are the XT225 & TW200.

Big T likes this.
  7. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

You need a Kenworth at least. :)

8. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

Very clean looking bone stock 2013 WR250R with 3K miles on it for sale about an hour away from me, but the guy is asking $6K!
    I'll probably go look at it but offer him significanlty less. What's the most I should expect to pay for something like this assuming it's in excellent condition?

9. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Personally I wouldn’t pay over $3500, glad I’m not a buyer in this market though. Given the market here in western NY I would try to sort price out ahead of time or else you will most likely come home empty if offering significantly less. Have a friend looking for a dual sport here as well and supply is scarce as you have seen.

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

You'd be lucky if the seller accepted $5500.
    Hopefully they have the YEC handheld module for it.

11. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I actually got the F/R models mixed up in my head. You probably know, but in case someone is interested like I was, here's a thread explaining some differences:
    https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1216224-wr250f-vs-wr250r/

Personally, I'd rather have a KTM500 over the 250, as it will go anywhere the WR will. Also, I'm a little biased as I have a 500. :D

That said, everyone I've ever read that had a WR250R as a dual sport for true on and off road usage seemed to love it. Especially when compared to a DRZ400. Both are a little on the heavy side compared to true woods bikes, but great fun on the road.

12. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

With the used market being so out of control, see if you can find one of these somewhere..

https://powersports.honda.com/street/adventure/crf300l-crf250l

Otherwise as others have stated, find something 300 or smaller with electric start. Ive owned an 01 426 since it was new, bulletproof, yes, easy to ride, no. It won’t be fun for tooling around with little ones.
    If you can find an old kdx, they are a really good bang for buck, and one of the cheapest, best performing bikes for tooling around and woods riding.

stk0308 likes this.
  13. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

Thanks, I knew they were different but I did not realize the F and R models were that different. For tooling around with my grandaughter the R model will be fine and probably better for short commuting.

Once a Wanker.. and stk0308 like this.
  14. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think it's a better fit for your needs. Pre-covid prices, those things always seemed to carry a premium in value as they were so well liked. I think. I kind of lump my memories on this with the street legal supermoto version they also sold, which was similar spec to the R, but with 17" wheels. On that note, a supermoto (especially with TKC80 type tires) can go anywhere an 8 year old on her mini will go off road.

15. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

Already got them to agree to come down to $5K. Will need to see and test ride it first of course, but wasn't going to drive over an hour if I didn't know how much they were willing to come down.

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

Well there's a good chance if I like it and keep it that a year or two down the road I'll end buying supermoto rims and taking it to Pineview Run, a 1.1 mile roadcourse not too far away.

cBJr likes this.
  17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

thats not really over priced if its clean.
    I got to ride that model along with a few other bikes out in Oregon a few years ago and even being a 2T guy... that bike was impressive for a 2 fiddy diesel. I think msrp was ~7ish back then. I preferred it much more to a YZ250.
    I wouldnt be jumping or sending it over whoops w/o a suspension update but for trail exploration and local hooliganism... its solid.

18. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

As a former owner of a WR250X, nearly identical super-motard version of the WR250R, I think you would enjoy it for your stated current purposes. I sold my '08 for $5,200. last summer, with about 4k mi, I believe. The guy drove from FL to get it, but Yamaha sold far fewer X models, than R. Anything $5,000 or under is good if it's pristine. I'd walk away if it's been modded much, crashed, etc. You can find a nice one, eventually, for that much.

You won't be blown away with the power, but it's as good as you'll get with a 100% street legal Japanese 250. We rode it along side our CBR250R we owned and I always preferred to be on the WR.

I presume you have confirmed that your local motor vehicle registration will STILL issue a tag for a vehicle originally issued with a title that says "For Off Road Use Only."
    It's becoming more rare all the time.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  19. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I loved riding my WR250X, and would still have it, if I wasn't 'thinning my herd' to get some other bikes I want, and make some room for them.

20. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I totally get it. I have a 525 on 17’s that I love but never take the time to ride it. It will probably get thinned out this year too. :(