1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ha Ha. Suck it hoks

Discussion in 'General' started by G 97, Mar 17, 2022.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

Iowa tears are delicious. :rock::crackup: CFD60EA2-7C15-4DA6-AE2A-152CC2F69A47.jpeg

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Aren't you from Iowa?

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yep. Iowa State my man.

DrA5 likes this.
  4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Like I would know the difference. :D

You got a team in this thing?

G 97 likes this.
  5. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yeah. Iowa State Cyclones. Play in Milwaukee Friday evening against LSU.
    Louisiana State, Tigers. :rock:

6. G 97

G 97 Garth

I’ve already set the tone with my cat, Killer.
    EB0E1FFC-89F4-4D5A-BD52-6C1599C5E036.jpeg

DrA5 likes this.
  7. G 97

G 97 Garth

Cyclones win. :rock:

8. 27

27 Well-Known Member

So pet peeve.... how the hell are there “cyclones”’in Iowa?!! Isn’t that a pacific name for a hurricane?

As bad as the Indy Colts... LA Lakers and so many others... I know they moved but what’s Iowa cornpolytech’s excuse?

9. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Cyclone
    In meteorology, a cyclone is a large air mass that rotates around a strong center of low atmospheric pressure, counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere.

27 and G 97 like this.
  10. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

Because Texas A&M were already the Dustdevils and ISU was out of ideas.

27 likes this.
  11. G 97

G 97 Garth

Not only this, their mascot is a cardinal.
    So the story goes when the land grant University was founded as the Ag College their nickname were the cardinals the Ag College then became Iowa State University.

ISU upset a Northwestern football team. “The Cyclone name dates back to 1895, when Iowa suffered an unusually high number of tornadoes.”
    The Chicago Tribune's headline read "Struck by a Cyclone: It Comes from Iowa and Devastates Evanston Town" and the nickname stuck.”

So Iowa State Cyclones with a cardinal for a mascot. His name is Cy.
    Oh and iowa hoks still suck. :crackup:
    F768A3F3-D406-42F9-B99B-AC80410BD1B3.jpeg

Senna and 27 like this.
  12. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks for the education! BBS is way better than googlefu

13. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Cool! It’s great when a name actually has a meaning attached to the area.

G 97 likes this.
  14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

That's why the Steelers are great name and Baltimore crows suck. Hey, they coulda gone with a name with some history...The McHenrys or the Keys....but no, they went for the cheap thrill using the dirty bird. Whatcha got D-Zum....:moon::D

15. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Iowa gets hurricanes too. They just call ‘em Derechos.

16. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Instead of izquierdos?

Senna likes this.
  17. G 97

G 97 Garth

Man that derecho was nasty. My parents place in Ames got hammered. Lost a door off the machine shed, shingles ripped off, multiple trees just shredded. Their place is just a couple miles off of Hwy30 which was basically the epicenter of the wind all the way from Onawa in Western Iowa to Cedar Rapids. Still working on the burn pile. I did get a ton of excellent maple and walnut fire wood though,:rock:

Senna likes this.
  18. 27

27 Well-Known Member

It was really odd looking damage too... all looked like straight line wind speed instead of swirling... the crops snapped off and laying down especially... first I’d heard of or seen in my lifetime.

And wth have you been Garth? In case you missed it... Papa challenged me to out post whore Canolli and Lever... I started a couple of threads, most went straight to best of, after mostly lurking for 20 years... They had a like off to prove their love for me(Broome lost the secret comp)... after all that someone went full on dungeon and 30 or so got banned at once... Steeltoe came back too... might be the reckoning :D

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
    G 97 likes this.
  19. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yeah, we lucked out and somehow had no damage at all from it. But our house sat a bit lower than the neighbors’ so I think we had a bit of protection. It was nasty stuff. My friend lost some really big trees in his yard and his gazebo got wrecked.

G 97 likes this.
  20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Uhh, no.

27 likes this.