1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small batch plastic molding

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Mar 14, 2022.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Even better would be mutate the mount. Keep the bottom and top for the older transponder but do the ability to side tie it around a fork like the new ones. As TrainWreck said it does not have to be an exact match. You need a post and pocket to fasten to and the ability to put it on a bike in a safe manner.

969 and Trainwreck like this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can definitely send a transponder and a bracket - email me your info to [email protected] and I'll get stuff to you after we get back from Cali next week. Thanks!

I may still need to buy a 3D printer :crackup:

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The brackets for the old ones and new ones aren't that different, they all zip tie to the forks easily. There was one set of brackets for the 260 version 2.0 that was big and bulky and absolutely sucked but those didn't last long before a redesign.

sheepofblue likes this.
  4. sheepofblue

Got you, so the old one the zips went into the channels under the time while the newer ones had 'holes' on the wings. Very similar. What would really be cool is if someone had a design that did both so you could just have one set around for the rentals.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sadly the innie and outie portions of the brackets/transponder are in the exact same spot on both but yeah that would kick ass.

6. sheepofblue

You could make one that is an X pattern

sdg likes this.
  7. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Hit up Bob Robbins if you don't have any luck,,,he could probably make em. https://inter-techsupplies.com/fabrication/

8. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

there is a couple that are making the chargers and mounts. as well they do cases and battery replacments.
    I sent you a invite to the group it's east coast transponders.
    they just posted this for accsories forsale

DON’T FORGET ALL YOUR TRANSPONDER ACCESSORIES! Make sure your mounting clips aren’t broken and chargers are working!!
    Transponder Replacement Mounting Brackets
    Picture 1
    Old Style Mounting Brackets
    Fits Old Style Transponders ONLY
    $15 EACH Shipped
    Buy 3 - $38 Shipped
    Picture 2
    New Style Mounting Brackets
    Fits New Style / TR2 Transponders
    $15 EACH shipped
    Buy 3 - $38 Shipped

BigBird and sheepofblue like this.
  9. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

10. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

if someone can design that mount or get an STL file I'm sure a few folks would be willing to make some. I would guess it would be about $2-3 in materials depending upon fill and such.

A decent 3d printer these days is about $200 (hobbyist level). Microcenter has the Ender 3 Pro for $199. It's all you need for basic printing. A spool of filament is $20 you could make a few different colors. When you put the stl file into the slicing program it will show you how much filament you are using per piece and a price.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/608315/creality-ender-3-pro-3d-printer

BigBird, tireman and 5axis like this.
  11. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

I have an Ender 5 and a 3. Got the 5 first. Spent a ton of time getting it tuned, and then fought bed leveling. Ended up replacing the Hot End, power supply, bed heater, aluminum base plate, leveling springs, spring steel build plate, and a couple other mods. Works great now, and is consistent. The 3 is sorta the same deal. Stock, I can get 1-2 good prints out of it, then it gets out of wack and I have to spend a night tweaking it back in. I haven't bothered spending the money to get it running great, so it sits most of the time. Either people who get really great results are lying about consistency, or are just luckier than me. Just a warning that hobby 3d printers aren't rainbows and sunshine. Definitely useful if you have the time to spend.

I use mine enough, that I'm replacing them with a Voron 2.4 eventually. Should let me double speed for the same quality, if not faster. But that's going to be $1500+.

12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Well this post looks like it solved your problem Sean.

13. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I've heard folks talk about their issues. I bought mine about 2 years ago and had zero experience using these things. Started to assemble mine with the crappy instructions and gave up. Disassembled it and watched some youtube video that everyone recommended (3d horror of printers or something like that) and that worked much better. The only things I did to mine was add yellow springs for the table, a PTFE tube and printed a few things like a holder on the side for the parts and an arm to direct the filament better. I'm going on probably 2 years now, was running it 24 hours a day for a while when I got it, and still use it every month at least a few times. Nothing huge just a lot of random little things for bikes, guns and garage/tool organization. I've gone thru probably 20-25 spools of filament so far. The only thing I've done is replaced the brass extruder nozzle about 8 months ago when I started to get some crap prints. Other than that I level the bed maybe every month or two and print stuff as needed. I have maybe $250 in it. I guess I just got lucky with mine. Plus I look at others prints and wonder what they did to them they look all stringy and crap, mine look fine and work well. 90% of my prints I use Inland PLA+ from Microcenter, at $19/roll its hard to go wrong and I can drive by and pick up a few rolls at a time when I'm in the area.

badmoon692008 and acorn27 like this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Thanks for the info! For 15 bucks a printer is looking better and better :crackup:

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not really, it was bad enough eating $5 out of each rental in non returned brackets. $15 is going to be really hard to get the boss to understand :crackup:

Basically with all of it we're just going to have to change up how we do things and note if we give out a bracket, then if they aren't returned with the transponder we'll charge the riders card for it. Sucks to add more hassle for both sides but oh well. I was hoping for a cheap enough alternative we could just not care if they came back or not like we have been.

Banditracer likes this.
  16. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Simple solution? They're (now?) $15 right? Add a $20 deposit fee ($15 for mount+ $5 dumbass fee) to the cost of the rental. If you return it, you get your $20 back. If you're a forgetful dumbass and can't remember to remove it from your bike it will cost you $20. The transponder and mount are to be rented as one package. If you've already got a mount and just need the transponder, then no $20 deposit fee. It's a business, why should you eat costs from your customers? I get trying to be nice and all, but any reasonable person would nod in agreement with this. But the world is full of unreasonable forgetful dumbasses, and some of them race motorcycles lol.

If you're responsible enough to race motorcycles around a race track you should be responsible enough to return stuff you rented.

But by all means buy a printer. They're fun :D.

17. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

And frustrating sometimes. ;)

18. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

True. I've had really good luck with my Kingroon, but the Anet...... My Mars resin printer has given me fits sometimes too, but it's mostly user error lol.

19. I can tell you to build even a simple low production mold you are going to have to sell a shit ton of them at even $10 a pop to recover just tooling cost. I’d upload a cad file to one of those molding sites and see if you get any takers. I can 3D print 20 or 30 of them but don’t want to push the limits. I can also. 3D scan one and have one of the designers build a good cad model but not sure how long that would take as all of my designers are pretty busy for next 4-5 weeks.

20. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I just sent you an email with some shipping info. I figured I'd wait until you were back, I don't like to send emails over weekends or if I know the recipient is out of office. :)