1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati 748 questions

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 10, 2022.

1. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I agree those are Ebay fairings.
    I have a 748 with bar risers. They help tremendously. I usually take the Monster if I'm headed out on an all day ride, but I can do it on the 748 also, maybe with some discomfort late in the day.

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think I'm about done with this yahoo. I really fucking hate dipshits that don't know how to do a deal. So far, damn near every question I ask comes back with a "yes" or "no" answer. The guy claims to be an ex WERA racer, I bring up that point; get a one word response. Then I ask if I can call him and discuss items, get an "I'm at work" response. Not, "hey sure, I'll call you later" or a normal response. I've bought enough motorcycles to know when I'm dealing with a flake, and this guy is a flake. And just the mere fact that he knows nothing about the bike before it got in his hands is a huge red flag.

418, Killswitch and Sabre699 like this.
  3. Spang308

Go on Ebay and search "748 fairing" and it will be obvious. The "sponsor" graphics is the dead give away. Most also are just a bit off on the fonts as well.

rd400racer likes this.
  4. 27

27 Well-Known Member

A buddy put some Chinese prepainted fairings on an 1199 Pani and paid under $300 delivered... they were out of factory marked molds in the tri color scheme and even had a couple Chinese bugs in the clear... I couldn’t buy the materials to spray a set for $300... times have changed... But now changed again...

5. rd400racer

Thanks to all of you for your insight. I wouldn't have noticed any of those things and we'd have probably bought the bike. He is continuing his search. Early R1's are a consideration too (pre-2000).

6. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Fair enough. I hope he has fun!

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

My '98 R1 was a much better street bike than my 00 RC51.

TurboBlew and rd400racer like this.
  8. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

The blue anodized levers are a dead giveaway that something is wrong with that guy's head. Blasphemy.

renegade17, TurboBlew and rd400racer like this.
  9. rd400racer

We found an 04 R1 that he's looking at this weekend. Only thing I told him was don't be a jackass if he gets it.

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Trackdays, racing, test&tunes...there are venues for that behavior.
    Of course, it's likely that he will crack 'er open aggressively at any chance provided, including on the street. You prolly got that aspect covered...ass-beatin's, threats of disownment, etc. :D

11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I have a nice 14 Triumph Street Triple R I’d be willing to part with. :D

ducnut likes this.
  12. Spang308

Of all the bikes mentioned so far, the 748 would be the slowest. They're pretty, but not exactly a powerhouse. I actually like bopping around town on mine vs. the 996 because it doesn't have stump pulling torque and is easy to ride. Not Monster easy, but smoother than the big bike.

13. Spang308

And as mentioned, they're a bit obnoxiously hot in the summer months. The pipes run right by the right rearset and mine roasts my calf area. The underseat area doesn't seem to be as much an issue as by the rearset. Header wrap helps if he ends up with one.
    Too bad he's not in Lancaster anymore. He could borrow mine to see if he wants one.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

May as well tell him to piss sitting down and wear mascara, ya pansy! :Poke:

rd400racer and TurboBlew like this.
  15. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Yea sure thing daddy-o!!!!!

16. rd400racer

When he was 18 he took my 900RR out for a spin. Got back and said damn dad that bike sure gets to 150 fast! I sold it a week later. That was 12 years ago, hopefully he's grown up :D

tony 340 and pickled egg like this.
  17. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

sportbikes are dumb. Tell him to get a KTM duke 990 or a Tuono. :D

SuddenBraking, thrak410 and gt#179 like this.
  18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

As often as you sell bikes, it was probably due. :crackup:

rd400racer likes this.
  19. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

That's the 1st thing I always did with my parents cars and bikes.

pickled egg likes this.
  20. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Ima sell my 748 this spring, if anyone is interested. Would be a bitty getting it back on the street, but I ride it on the street anyway (tiny headlight). It's a lovely bike. I also have a yellow 2000 as well that is street, but I haven't decided to keep or sell yet.

Has your son ridden a Hypermotard?

[​IMG]

Wingnut, Sabre699 and rd400racer like this.