1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati 748 questions

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 10, 2022.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My son is looking for a sport bike in the $5,000 range. He has his sights on 3...RC51, Duc 748 and CBR900RR. Found what appears to be an OK looking 748 (owner was a WERA racer), but of the three of course, well, it's a Duc. It's never been raced or tracked.

Biggest issue for me is the rocker arm flaking (it's a 1998 Mono) and the current owner has zero records but told me the following has been done recently...plugs, oil and filter, air filter, battery, brake pads. Bike has 26K miles.

Verdict?

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

So before you push the start button you’re doing valve adjustment and belts.

And finding what you find within.

$5K? Without service records and fresh belts and valve lash service? Fuck to the no. $3500, maybe.

RC, the torture rack that it is, is the only one worth that kind of cash for a driver. The 900RR would be a cool collector bike, but I wouldn’t drop that kind of cheddar on one then go ripping on it. 929 or 954, sure…but not a 900RR.

3. rd400racer

He's looking at the 900RR simply for nostalgia...I had one and it was the bike he took his WERA school and mock race on and he always liked it. RC simply because of Nicky (and my son's name is Nick). Guy wants $4900 for the 748, thinking of offering $4K. I can do the belts, I'm more concerned about the rocker arm flaking. Trying to talk him into a basic GSXR750 that will run if left under water for 2 weeks but he has his mind set.

4. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Funny. Just had a 900RR discussion yesterday. My only concern on those is finding 1 proper 16" front tire. I'm sure someone makes them but it's not exactly common in most dealers. That being said, the White/BlueRed was always my favorite. On the Duc, why not just plan to do the rocker arm and be done with it. The bike will always be worth money and there are some cool add on's for it. The RC's always sounded good but were overpriced.

5. rd400racer

Well, that's an excellent point, especially if he can get it for $4K. FWIW, I just restored a 700SC Nighthawk and found a fairly sporty 16" front for it (Bridgestone I believe) so they're out there. He seems pretty set on this 748 and I've done my best to talk him out of it. Live and learn.

This is the bike in question. It's a 748S Mono.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

I’d count on having to replace at least a couple rocker arms. They should be interchangeable from the 748/926/996 motors so you might be able to find someone parting out a motor and save a couple of bucks. My 2001 996S needed a couple and swapped out from an 916ST IIRC.

TurboBlew and rd400racer like this.
  7. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

And mine had about 7k miles on it when the rockers were replaced FYI

8. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

Has he ever spent more than 15 minutes on the 748/916/996 etc? I had a love hate relationship with my 748. The love part is obvious. The hate part was the torturous riding position for the street, and the underseat exhaust that also served as a testicle and butt roasting device. That being said, I still regret selling it. 748 vs 900RR? Gotta go with the hot Italian. Love hurts.

mitch100, Monsterdood and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  9. 27

27 Well-Known Member

back in the day when the bikes were new/current the F2/3 wheels were hard to find because everyone put them on the 900RR so they had matching 17” wheels... colors and all usually. I’m sure there are plenty out there now. That’s the easy fix for that 16” front issue...

RRP likes this.
  10. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I had both a RC51 and a 900rr at the same time. Rode 900rr way more. Both cool bikes, but 900 was easier to live with for daily commuting.

never owned a duc.

11. rd400racer

Yep, he understands that and says it's nothing for his 30 year old body. He rode this to Owensboro and back when we went to Nicky's funeral (4 hours riding) so he knows what he's in for. Plus he has a Tenere for long rides, so this will simply be a goof around bike.

[​IMG]good fitness goals

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

when the 748 was new it was um "delicate". Id vote the Honders if you wanted an actual rider.

rd400racer, jrsamples and pickled egg like this.
  13. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Having had multiple 748s and a 900rr...

The rr is boring as hell. it's a great bike, but boring.

I never tire of the 748. but it is a young man's bike, at 30 he seems a bit too old. but there are some very good risers that help with the position. knock on wood, i haven't had a single flaking rocker...some do, some don't. the other two potential issues are the alternator nut backing out, IIRC and the non-staked crank galley plug. with a more visible low oil pressure light, if it do come out, you can easily save u motor. that and looking for aluminum filings, IIRC, when changing the oil.

if you guys go for rides that last all day, the 748 is probably not good for that. 2-3 hours, no problem.

rd400racer and TurboBlew like this.
  14. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

@rd400racer If your son's looking at an RC-51, you should also have him add the Aprilia Mille to that mix.
    Also a big twin and super stable. Bombproof engine and overall good bike. Italian style with Japanese maintenance.

5axis likes this.
  15. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I had one as well. Love/hate. :)

Major issues with the rear brake locking up. I think it was resolved by replacing the master. Not sure, sold it soon after.
    And yes, it roasts your nutsack.

Loved the looks though...

16. rd400racer

Funny you mention that. I just sent him one I found in Cincy but he said it's not his thing. You know how it is once you have your mind set on something.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Let me know if he doesn't decide on the 748. I know someone who might have an interest.

rd400racer likes this.
  18. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Mention to the seller that you noticed the plastics are most likely Chinese and there's some fuckery going on at the rear (bi-posto seat on a mono-posto tail) and you may be able to make a better offer. If the rockers are in fact flaking you may have more fun w/ your son doing a 996 swap.

pjzocc, TurboBlew and rd400racer like this.
  19. rd400racer

All my Ducs have been air cooled 2V so this is brand new to me. I'm learning...what makes you think it's replacement fairings and the wrong seat. I'm going back and forth on pictures of stock bikes and can't tell. It also sucks that his bike is 3 hours away, so not an easy viewing.

20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Duc...
    Don't know if they still do it but MegacycleCams can grind off the chrome flashing, weld up the pad and re-grind the pad to shape on those Duc rockers. I had them do all the opening rockers on my 996 track/race bike. No issues.
    The OEM clip-ons are torture. Get some with less of a downward angle, from the OEM 15º to an aftermarket 7º-8º. World of difference when just cruisin'.
    Belts and valve adjustment.
    Graphics? Not OEM, bodywork likely not either.
    There is some disagreement on subframes. Monos typically came with aluminum, but earlier models also came in steel. I define earlier as pre-2000. A good way to tell monoposto vs biposto is the location of the ECU. Monos had it at the very back of the tail, meaning it had a longer harness than a biposto. Another way is, the spacers and latching for the seat are different, but I can't remember those details.
    Otherwise, it looks like a '98. Gold frame, gold 3-spoke wheels, Showa...
    Ya gotta be diligent when buying an older Duc to ensure you're actually getting what's advertised. Best way is to e-mail the VIN to Ducati.

Try talking your son into a basic GSXR750 that will run if left under water for 2 weeks and if he tosses it down the road, who gives a shit? :D