1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets talk DEF / DPF delete

Discussion in 'General' started by ghetto customs, Feb 21, 2022.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Who hurt you? Last one picked for kickball? Smallest speedo on the swim team?

Or did someone with a fictitious truck roll coal and your poor Mazda got all covered in soot while you were hypermiling?

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I have to say the billet impellers I did on 3 different projects (1 car & 2 bikes) completely changed the driveability factor at all throttle positions.
    On my car it was such a dramatic difference it feels like its an electric motor.
    On the bikes there was much less of a peak boost hit (surge) and more boost being used in a repeatable consistent manner.
    Makes tuning less of a fill in the blank cover overboost guessing game.
    Both applications have less impeller RPM which = less heat.

stickboy274 likes this.
  3. 650 RACER

650 RACER Well-Known Member

Or LMM if you prefer the newer body style and delete if you are not scared.

4. 650 RACER

650 RACER Well-Known Member

This. Reading this is a trip down memory lane. Makes me want another 7.3! Ha
    Edit to add. Harpoon the tank so you can top it off to the filler neck without it taking 10 minutes.

stickboy274 likes this.
  5. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

I have the LLY.

6. Critter

Critter Registered

I just bought a 7.3 they are great trucks ask Stickboy on those.

I have own several chevys. here is the skinny
    2002-2004.5 (231 in the VIN) is the LB7 Motor -- they get a bad rap for having injector trouble, but if you replace the original ones with OEM Bosch one made after 2005 then they run for ever
    2004.5 -- to VERY early 2006 (232 in the VIN) is the LLY Motor --- All the injector troubles are gone. They get a bad rap for blowing head gaskets and running hot but that is because people are idiots. in ALL the LB7, LLY and LBZ motors they run liquid filled cooling fans that are run off the engine. So when the engine gets hot the fan clutch kicks in. When the temps start to climb people let off the gas.. Then the head gaskets got POP. When the engine gets hot get it out of Over drive down shift it and get the RPM about 2500 and the fan will sound like a jet engine and then engine sounds like it is going to come apart... The cooling fan will spin so fast it will cool the motor in a hurry and you are good to go.
    2006 - 2007.7 (Classic Body) has the LBZ motor, same goes for the above as it relates to cooling, same basic motor as the LLY just a few beefed up internals..

Add exhaust, banks intake, larger trans pan, larger trans cooler, radio, and the thing will tow 24K any where you want to go at 80 on the flat in a west texas head wind and climb black mountain on 40 at 60 plus..

7. Critter

Critter Registered

LOL you copied that from the email you sent me last month...LOL

8. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I never had overheating issues on my 07 LBZ. I never towed 24k, most would be cargo trailer with car in it. I do have maps for towing that I use.
    Why they overheating, towing in overdrive?

9. Critter

Critter Registered

LBZ were better about it than the LLY but still not as good as the later models...but the later models have DEF and other crap...

10. youngR

youngR Well-Known Member

Same here. I think I will look into Ford Transit if/when I look into another big van.

11. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

well now that I've had the dieselgate recall performed, they're covered by Mercedes for 4yrs and 48k miles. So unless they become incredibly problematic taking the car off the road, I'm not concerned. But a delete is definitely a possibility if this becomes a 'forever' car.

12. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Oh really? That's super interesting but makes sense now that I actually think about it. But, if the EGR is only being used to dilute the intake charge and therefore cool combustion temps for the purpose of reducing NOx emissions, then would deleting the EGR immediately cause a spike in EGT that would ultimate have no way of curbing without just injecting more fuel? I thought lots of big truck guys who did deletes and tunes did so to cool the EGT. I'm a little confused.

13. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

I check by miles/gallons.

14. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

No sense arguing. You are obviously omnipresent and know all about my truck and the fleets I do for my customers.

Have a great day.

pickled egg likes this.
  15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

A little late to the party but technically NOx is caused by very high combustion temps....like above 2000f temps. Thats when N2 in the air can be oxidized with O2 from the air into NOx compounds.

Running lean is the biggest cause of this in ICE engines but there are other ways this can happen involving EGR, air leaks, timing, fuel delivery, etc.

But if your making too much NOx your combustion temps are too high, plain and simple.

cav115 likes this.
  16. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Seems to me like you'd be a billionaire overnight since you have the keys to the kingdom to routinely get over 25 MPG from a full size diesel. You should have Ford/Chevy/Ram fighting over you.

650 RACER likes this.
  17. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

LOL

Common knowledge around here.... not a big deal.

and the trucks aren`t kosher for some watching, so no good to mfgs.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No ego trip, I've had nicer and worse vehicles. As much as I roadtrip in it I want comfort and the ability to actually fit laying down in the back for solo trips where I don't want to piss away money for a hotel room for 6-7 hours. Granted, the air conditioned seats have damn near turned into a necessity on vehicles.

19. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

As with many things, it's complicated. But NOx forms easier with hotter temperatures. Running lean generally makes for hotter combustion and exhaust. But other things like mixture quality and chamber shape can have an effect too.

cav115 likes this.