1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets talk DEF / DPF delete

Discussion in 'General' started by ghetto customs, Feb 21, 2022.

1. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

And its a shame because my '16 deleted Cummins with the 68rfe trans was getting 27mph at 70mph. But fears of truck seizure at inspections resulted me into having to sell it for my 5.9.

2. 650 RACER

650 RACER Well-Known Member

Lol no it wasn't. Maybe if you were lowered with two wheel drive, 12" wheels, full aero and 600 miles of downhill ahead of you.

I caught a 400 pound salmon using a worm. Fucker didn't even fight.

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  3. Ducati89

My man, I went from Philly to Pittsburg and back and still drive around north Wilmington for 2 more days on a single tank.

cav115 and Phl218 like this.
  4. 650 RACER

Ok. So how many miles did you actually drive and how many gallons of fuel did you put in the tank? 31 gallon tank on that 16 right? 827 miles? Thats just not even in the realm of reality. Shit 700 miles is 22.5mpg. There isn't a single full size truck achieving that anywhere. When you tune the trucks the onboard becomes insanely optimistic.

7500 lb trucks don't get 27 mpg that's all I'm saying.

5. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I'm on Board w that.....I can believe perhaps 20-22 mpg under ideal conditions, as my 03 7.3 can get 18 @ 65 mph....with what 220 h.p. ?

But 400+ h.p. w 8,000 lbs...approaching 20mpg....No way Jose. I ain't biting.

Ask a regular Joe how much he makes a year, or What MPG he gets.....shit gets crazy...lol

tony 340 and Wheel Bearing like this.
  6. Ducati89

With city driving, 22 was probably accurate. My 5.9 can get from Millsboro DE to Dillon SC on a tank.

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Why are you guys....ahem, excuse me....ladies, arguing over .5 of MPG like a bunch of Karen's. You want to worry about MPG.....buy an Accord.

"Hey Brother nice lifted dually 1 ton 4x4 SRW double cab long bed tuned diesel with a 5" exhaust 35's and chrome steps. That thing is sweet. How many MPG's you get in that....17?"

"Nah ma....17.5"

"Hell yeah brother." <High Five>

Said no 2 guys ever.

Now quit gheying up the beeb or ill pay Dave K to change all your names to Cannoli 1, Cannoli 2, etc

8. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I've owned a Ram 2500 for the last 10 years...and if there's a demographic that loves to lie, it's Cummins owners. My old one with the 5.9 never saw a tank average above 19MPG. The 4.10's had that MF'er screaming on the highway, 2,200 RPM's at 72MPH. Now it would rarely, if ever, downshift pulling my old 5th wheel....but it was always in that 'sweet spot' for pulling. Averaged 16-17 mixed MPG not towing.

My '16 (6.7 duh) gets about the same. Not towing, it does do a hell of a lot better on RPM's on the highway, but the wind resistance kills anything above 75. It literally does 2,000RPM on the dot....at 90MPH. I could reasonably see 20-21MPG if you lived in a flat state and set the cruise at 65...but holy fuck who has time for that. Hammer down.

Pulling the same trailer, my '16 [not blue tooth'ed...yet] does get about 1-2 MPG better towing. However...all that is off set because now I just drive 5-10MPH towing :crackup:

650 RACER likes this.
  9. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

When you are driving a brick or towing a brick, every mph over 65 starts to burn a LOT more fuel.
    If I keep my 5000lb 3.0 Touareg TDI around 65 mph, I can get around 31 mpg. At 75? More like 28.
    Towing my 6x12 is an even bigger percentage wise. Towing at 65 is around 17. Towing at 75 is 14mpg. Only did the latter once.

I checked the mpg by hand both before and after the Dieselgate" fix". Computer vs. my hand calculations was never off more than 0.4 mpg (some each way and usually less), so I stopped keeping track. That is close enough for me. btw: Highway mileage may have gone up a tick with the "fix", but city mpg, particularly in winter, went down a lot. It burns a lot of fuel now trying to get the system up to temp as fast as possible.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

I had an 01 2500 2wd 6spd Dodge Cummins w3.55s with a timing box and some Bosch 275 injectors for 19 years. I could regularly get 20-21mpg at 65-70(hand calculated), which I thought was pretty damn impressive for a 7000lb truck! But the only way it was going to get 25-27 mpg is if I believed the wildly optimistic on board computer.

650 RACER likes this.
  11. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

2016 Sprinter with the 2.1L 4cyl. I sent the ECU to Renntech to flash, then got the recall rebate deal, had that done, and then afterwards sent the ECU back to Renntech for a courtesy reflash.

I spilled some DEF fluid in the engine bay once and think some actually got on a Nox sensor and I got a check engine light and 10 start countdown. It ended up clearing on its own but I then took it in for the recall work to have the sensor replaced anyways.

I keep the DEF topped off regularly, get 18-22 mpg clean and 13-16mpg towing a 7x12 trailer. I take it to Mercedes for all regular services and it’s treated me well knock on wood.

If I got another van, I would think hard about getting a gas engines Ford Transit but I’m happy with the Sprinter for sure.

For OP, not sure who is still supporting deletes and what not. I bet if you call or show up in person to a tuner, you’re more likely to get some options. Malone was one I recall from before but it seems like they started getting noticed and many stopped.

12. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

LOL

They do.

My 14 6.7 gets 26 @ 75 mph empty.

13. 650 RACER

No one here is arguing over .5 mpg. The only argument here is that a full size diesel truck doesn't get 27mpg. Deleted and tuned or not.

14. 650 RACER

Jesus I just can't any more. I get 99mpg coasting at 100mph.

Fine your 7500 truck gets 26mpg empty. 900 fucking miles on one tank. Dodge made the eco diesel for guys who wanted less fuel economy and power than their 2500/3500 trucks.

tony 340 and Wheel Bearing like this.
  15. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Malone is still doing them and Rawtek is still selling the exhausts that go with them. My brother and my friend have both done theirs within the past year. We found a line on used sprinters from a local company that sells them off when they are done with them (usually around 180k miles). So far 3 have been purchased. My brother and one other guy got 2013 models for $600 and another friend got a 2017 for $750. The '17 has a little tablet fire that cooked the passenger seat and door trim. Easy fix.

16. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

You serious Clark? :D

650 RACER likes this.
  17. 650 RACER

Sorry 99.5 mpg! ha shit

cav115 likes this.
  18. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

400 pounds....we talkin wet weight?

650 RACER likes this.
  19. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

No, it does not.

Spooner, Knotcher and 650 RACER like this.
  20. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

You can keep your egr system and dpf sparkling new.

Take them off and store them.