1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shredding front tires

Discussion in 'Tech' started by ibidu1, Feb 20, 2022.

1. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

I raised the front end of the bike, 4mm and at the next trackday, I will play with the front ends preload and see where it leaves the tire condition. I think you are correct in that the bikes not balanced and loading the front end harder.

2. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

These tracks are very gripped up compared to US tracks, especially at the apex strips, and painted lines. only gripe is because of the weather we can only get 4-5 months of riding out here.

3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

At a high grip / abrasive track like that, why not go to a harder compound and increase the pressure? Especially if you're happy with the way the bike handles, I would try that first before messing with geometry.

4. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

I set SC1 slicks at 37 - 38psi hot on a ZX-6R. I used to run substantially lower, and after being implored by a couple of fast guys to go higher, I bumped the pressures up. Made a significant handling difference (for the better for me personally) and the wear is fantastic.

I'm not saying that's the singular solution to your issue, but bumping tire pressure up is an easy variable to test and isolate.

Gixxerguy855 and yuengling910 like this.
  5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Why can you only ride 4-5 months? Too hot?

6. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Summer time the temps reach close to 120f, its hard to run trackdays at those temps.

noles19 likes this.
  7. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

They won’t turn the lights on at night for you guys?

9. youngR

youngR Well-Known Member

night track days like MotoGP would be cool.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  10. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

They do turn on the lights at night! Just the weather here during summer time is so humid

SuddenBraking likes this.
  11. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Theres a sick new track in Kuwait called KMT I did a track day there. Its the size and that place appears to heading towards allowing motogp to run there in the future. But it had some sick elevations, triple right handers that are pretty fast, lots of passing areas.

12. Tyson10R

Tyson10R Well-Known Member

A good range to stay in is 530-540mm from top of lower triple to center of the front axle, and 292-298mm rear shock length with no spacer. But this depends on your pace and the circumference of the tires you're on. Keeping the bike that far on its nose is going to kill your braking stability.