1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learn me on used Diesel pusher RV's

Discussion in 'General' started by Trainwreck, Feb 21, 2022.

1. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

My wife told me over the weekend that she's no longer interested in sleeping in the race trailer. If she is to be drug all over the midwest to watch me play racer-boy, she'd prefer to be more comfortable.

My initial plan for this year was to actually buy a trailer large enough for race car stuff (started another car build). Then by the time the car was done, I'd buy a diesel pusher/bus RV.. We would hopefully be in another house by then anyway with more property and a barn etc.

However, I'm more than likely 3-ish years out on the finishing the car, and I don't want to buy a toy hauler, just to turn around and have to sell it/buy trailer...

Anyway, I'm assuming a number of you have/had experience with purchasing one of these things. So I'm looking for some tips.

1. What should I be looking out for as far as certain companies, manufacturers etc? We will be in the market for a used one.

2. I need it to be able to pull an enclosed large enough for a small tire radial drag race program. (not a stacker trailer or anything)

3. Financing, We will more than likely be financing a larg chunk of it. This will be the first thing we have bought "together" since even our house was done before marriage, and we basically had to both qualify separately to get both names on the deed. I'm not worried about approval, as we both have 830+ scores and our current DTI is around 5-6%. However, just curious as to what some of your experiences are with this.

4. What is something you wish you knew before hand? As far as purchasing, maintenance, and even operation. I have reminded her that if I eat shit hard enough, she will be driving this damn thing.

My goal this week is to work out an actual budget.. I have sent her ads of RV's from $45,000 all they way to about $90,000 and she has responded with "lets go get it" to every single one.. I refuse to buy anything like this without putting over 20% down. So, that's a quick convo. lol We have bee together for over 10 years and the only thing we've ever "shared" financially is our mortgage, and utilities.. So this is rather exciting for us lmao.

Thanks' for the help!

2. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

You’ll be hard pressed to get a quality RV diesel pusher for 90k in these times, unless you’re willing to buy one with higher mileage. My next door neighbor just sold his 36 ft gas pusher and he got 150k for it, but it was only 3-4 years old and had less than 10k miles.

Trainwreck likes this.
  3. Trainwreck

I think that would be ok. Due to the nature of my hobbies, and my wife's support, yet need for comfort, I can see us using one of these for the duration of me goofing off with cars/bikes.

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

5. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

6. Trainwreck

I have looked at them. When I was at PRI I hopped in and out of a few. I like them and they seem to have a better use for motorsports A lot of full time World of Outlaws (lower budget full time), and drag race teams seem to like them. They seem to even haul stackers no problem.

For the price of them I could get into a super nice used diesel pusher though. Even used super C's seem super pricey. (compared to used pushers). End of the day, this is gunna boil down to whatever she wants. So far, she seems keen on the buses.

7. ow01

ow01 Well-Known Member

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

a pusher is going to appeal to a much larger resale market than a super C.
    Its like trying to build a perfect garage in a perfect house. Best to keep them seperate entities. With a pusher you can pull an 8' wide by whatever length trailer.
    There are plenty of capable units from the 2000 model year & newer from $35k to $100k. I would budget money for a complete service & new set of tires. Just because a rig is newer doesnt mean its less problematic.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I just figured I would mention them as an option if you were maybe interested in something not so large as the busses.

I’m having a similar debate for about this for about 8 years from now when my sons out of high school. Explore America and find a nice inland state with low taxes to retire.

tireman and TurboBlew like this.
  10. ow01

ow01 Well-Known Member

11. TurboBlew

a friend was having this same debate. Except he wasnt doing events exclusively on bikes.
    Once you get into the car hobby then a stacker/toter makes alot more sense. Especially when segregating the 2 hobbies...
    Also having a place to bring to tracks/events that can be comfortably lived in for weeks at a time brings a certain comfort level.
    I had to train the new owner of my old rig for about 1/2 a day on all the ins/outs of its operation & its just a 36' gasser.

27 likes this.
  12. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

For ~$50k you can find mid 2000's class A. I like Newmar and Tiffin, cummins over CAT. Shortest one with biggest engine you can find. Milage is not important, layout is.
    Got to be patient and keep looking.
    I have 03 Newmar kountry, 37' with cummins 300hp. Been happy with it and paid $38k 2 years ago. Had 05 Fleetwood Discovery 39' with CAT 330 before this one and it was pos.
    Newer ones look nicer and may have little more power but to me they not worth extra money. You will pay double for 50hp more and little nicer upholstery.

27, 5axis, TurboBlew and 1 other person like this.
  13. Trainwreck

I was just about to ask the forums if i should be looking out for Cummins or CAT. lol

14. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

If it was me and I was traveling the country I'd want something pre emissions.

---EGR coolers and valves started appearing around 2002-2003

--DPF filters and afterburners ran 2008-2012.....They DRANK fuel

---DEF systems started appearing 2012-2013ish and had better mileage but keep in mind if you break down 2000 miles from home 2 things are going to happen now:

1. Your tow bill is going to be no fun
    2. Wherever hillbilly town they tow you to may or may not be able to get you parts for days.

Also, DEF loves to freeze in cold weather and if your heating element goes bad you are good and properly fucked.

Cummins has a good dealer network but they're all backed up up for weeks as is the Caterpillar dealerships. Caterpillar wasn't even making truck motors in some of those years above that I mentioned....they stuck with heavy off-highway use equipment.

If you buy used with a DPF filter I'd have the filter serviced before even putting it on the road.
    Change the DEF filter when you put it on the road as well. Swap EGR valve after cleaning cooler and coolant system.
    If it has more than 200K miles change the DEF pump as well and get a turbo rebuild.
    Carry a spare voltage regulator for your generator, you will use it at some point.

I"m in the heavy trucking industry so I have nothing to sell you.

16. 27

27 Well-Known Member

the issue with a Cummins is its got junk ass Cummins electronics hooked to it... so unless you’re going old school back to the mechanical with a two valve head...

GET THE CAT!

Seriously, Cat kicks the shot out of cummins... the only issue my RVs ever has are Cummins related.. even the Onan generator failures... Cummins issue... even the big Onan in the semi... Cummins issue... the Cat in the tractor boosted over 30psi and kicked ass.

17. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Get an old diesel pusher there an older couple bought and never used... any platform is fine(Cat) and use it for ten years and still get your money back...

buy a nicer one for $30-40k and you’ll be happy now and in ten years...

18. TurboBlew

for towing/roadside you cant beat coachnet. Membership is <$20/ month which covers ALL your vehicles

gapman789, Trainwreck and 27 like this.
  19. 27

27 Well-Known Member

another reminder to use the AMAs best asset... the free towing/road service with auto renewal... they changed many of tires on RVs for free, you have to carry a spare... but free rocks!

RRP, Trainwreck and TurboBlew like this.
  20. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I’m jaded by anything Cummins as you can tell, mechanically solid, but from VP44 pulps to lift pumps to ECUs and little things in big generators their electrical sucks...

My love for Cat is from a well built 3406 so...

what issues did your cat power have and which power plant?

Cummins used the same 5.9 in everything and controlled the power with the perfect Allison so it works... until it doesn’t

Trainwreck likes this.