1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. 27

27 Well-Known Member

So somebody enlighten me as to why people like Hamilton... I’ve not watched an F1 race since Senna was racing until this year... every time I saw a highlight and or laps it showed him driving like a douche...

I watched only the last laps of the finale this year and he begged for tires, then his team refused, proving they didn’t think he could win, in a fair battle... Masi did nothing wrong and would’ve put them together no matter what happened with lappers or pit stops... it was great, his short cut “running wide” early on was as obvious as Rossi at Assen or Sepang wherever it was when he was like “oops he ran me wide... I win”

The pretentious politicking since the finale has made it so I’ll not watch more of it... unless they throw handbags at dawn or something actually exciting happens because the “he parked on my head and didn’t check my feelings” bullshit is just that....

the billionaire boys club os not worth my time for sure...

2. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Watching LH drive off in a wet race, leaving the pack far behind helped cement his place in history, records not withstanding. Watching him finish on a flat, way ahead, same.
    GR in a similar car will give another head to head to compare against.
    He is hard to like sometimes, especially if he's off topic or gets away with being a dick on track and whines when someone else races close. Happens a lot.
    F1 is how I got the wife into liking racing, previously she equated all motorsport with Nascar. Like Madden made football approachable for her, MS, NR, DR, LH and Kimi made here connect with individuals, racing and strategy. Especially Ricciardo, We'd probably watch lacrosse if he played. Just a good funny goofball.

VFR#52 and 27 like this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I'll put it this way: you're better at Spanish geography than at analyzing F1. :D

Gecko, VFR#52 and 27 like this.
  4. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Frosty!

27 likes this.
  5. 27

27 Well-Known Member

It was Ethnicity!!! :D
    I’m good with maps... just was convinced by others that they had a bigger support area or population than may have been accurate :oops:
    this was before the internet so...

Seriously though Papa, you’re not one to root for a pretentious douchetastic knob and I know you said once his helmet is off you’re done watching... what about his driving am I missing??from the outside of the sport for decades and never really following it... LH seems like a whiner in the best team/car most political favors, like the driving penalty differences this year when someone actually gave back what he dished out...

this does show what is perceived by someone that only sees highlights and forms opinions on the very limited information... right or wrong this is just my impression of his driving and team actions compared to others... I could only name maybe five champs and ten drivers ever going back to Jackie Stewart, and half the champs would be guesses..

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
    dobr24 likes this.
  6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I liked Hamilton from the time he was in GP2 (and knew of him a few years prior to that) until the end of the 2016 season. His total lack of class and sportsmanship after losing to Rosberg marked the end of our business relationship. Pretty much the same reason I wrote off Rossi at the end of 2006. Believe it or not, I rooted for him for a decade.
    I don't care one bit about Hamilton's social justice positions. In fact, I greatly enjoy the way it pisses off people, including more than a few here. But I don't listen to him.

p.s. If you think that Masi did his job correctly at Abu Dhabi, I would have spent so much time breaking down F1 for you that we'd both want to shoot ourselves. :D

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
    stk0308, cpettit and VFR#52 like this.
  7. 27

27 Well-Known Member

see I don’t have any of his driving history so although I don’t Follow F1 it’s hard to get a feel for it only seeing outtakes and results... especially not really caring...

You meant 2016 for Rossi too right? He was hard not to like until you knew how he went about his dealings with riders that he saw as a threat... there is just no reason for it.. Casey said it well in that recent Aussie interview about respect. The best on track rivals leave it on the track, to me anyway. I don’t like the riders/drivers that have to hate their rivals, life is too short. I don’t knownF1 enough to know if any are even like that. I think Rossi would’ve been more competitive longer if he hadn’t made enemies with Casey and Marquez.

His actions towards JLo was a new level imo... I’ve never liked him but when the guy, pics 45 as his number to get as close to 46 as possible and then copies everything down to the two colored legs and after race celebrations. JLo was VRs biggest fan and wanted to be him so badly... then he beat him and VR rather than embrace him and being the most dominate team in decades made an enemy of him, belittled him who knows how bad he was behind the scenes. Luckily for us JLo used it for fire and kicked ass afterwards. Man that hurt to type.. I can’t stand JLo but still am compassionate about his shit...

if VR would’ve just raced MM hard and dealt with it like a man instead of trying to use his pull against the new Spanish royalty with Dorna who I’m pretty sure is Spanish ;) maybe he would’ve saved some face and earned some respect back instead of never winning again and stomping on his own old wrinkly sack on his way out... damn... there... post whoring level 7

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  8. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Maybe Formula one is just not your cup of tea if you cant see what makes Lewis a great driver.
    I dont like his politics because i find it hard for a guy who makes over 40 Million a yr to play a victim.
    But after watching what Massi did to him i can see his point of view.
    Max is a spoiled child and a dirty driver. Last yr proved just what kind of person he really is in my eyes.
    But the last 3 races of the season shows people just how good lewis truly is.
    He stepped up and made up points while dealing with Max constant attacks on track.
    And now we know why Masi did what he did.
    The audio is very clear with who was making the call for those last laps.

Steven

9. 27

27 Well-Known Member

obviously it’s not hence the repeated statements that I’ve only seen a few laps in decades... that was enough to know that he can’t hold Max’s jock though... he got his ass handed to him because his team wanted to be the victim rather than send him out with new tires to see who was best...

10. 27

27 Well-Known Member

P.S.

mid id have been Masi I’d have told the pace car to crash into the flag stand For a red/restart if that what it took to get the battle under green for the ship...

I wouldn’t be surprised if he thought for sure there would’ve been contact between them to sort out that would’ve outshined his decisions to get them together racing to begin with... if MB would’ve taken on tires it wouldn’t be an issue but then they couldn’t be the victim, just the loser.... oh wait... same as now...

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

2006. Nicky Hayden's championship.

12. 27

27 Well-Known Member

huh... what did I miss there? Took me another decade of his actions to come to light enough to see things... his actions with Casey at Laguna was the catalyst that opened my eyes a bit...

after 06 I still thought he could do no wrong... I do believe he didn’t consider NH a threat and was always nice to him regardless.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Do you have recollections of same losing graciously and acknowledging that Nicky ran a great championship and beat him fair and square? Even if that wasn't true, that's what I would expect from a great champion.

14. 27

27 Well-Known Member

yes actually. I remember Squirrel telling all of us playing poker at MidOhio that VR was the first to the RV the weekend before when Pedrosa took him out, and after he won congratulating them.

I know not everyone knows some things like this but considering the source never doubted the sincerity.

from the press directly I think I remember VR saying that NH is a great guy and if he can’t win then he’s glad it was NH.... it’s been awhile now though... the poker game I remember well... Earl always bet $3 known as the Squirrel bet, one for each boy...

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, yeah: everybody at that point thought that Rossi was going to be champion. He had no reason not to be gracious. :D

But more seriously, I wasn't saying that he ever had any bad feelings towards Nicky personally. I just think he spent a lot more time complaining about how Yamaha and/or Michelin failed him than he did acknowledging that he choked when it mattered most, and that he was simply beaten.

Anyway, it was all downhill from there. Including many of the things we agree on.

27 likes this.
  16. 27

27 Well-Known Member

You see Papa!! It’s shit like this right here!!!

that make me enjoy our convos all these years... you ever figure out who Lionel from NUTEC was? :Poke: still can’t place that connection... drives me nuts...

thanks for the F1 insight... guess LH used to be a good driver and not a pompous ass but now is both, like the rest in their own way id imagine... except Kimi... is he actually a funny dude? He cracks me up! Can’t wait to see if he has any impact on the MX world in his new role...

17. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Andretti seeking a entry into F1 in 2024 for herta and some f2/f2 teams also. And they are ready to pay the 200 million if they get accepted

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  18. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I wonder how much this impacted the need for a higher minimum weight.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

20. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

HPPT and tiggen like this.