1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't learn to ride on the third floor

Discussion in 'General' started by Banditracer, Feb 9, 2022.

1. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Learning to fly...well kinda

SGVRider and TurboBlew like this.
  2. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Shame on the guy or gal who was teaching her to ride in such an unsuitable location. You can’t expect a new untrained rider to be fully cognizant of potential hazards.

People need to learn to ride from the MSF or a similar course, not other yahoos.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

You can see from the pics that they were clearly working on their drifting there.

The geniuses presumably all had enough skills that they didn't think about the implications of a new rider and whiskey throttling from the third floor.

4. SGVRider

:eek:
    I see the marks now, didn’t notice the picture before. That likely wasn’t from the riders. There’s a strong car culture in Los Angeles and people will drive up at night and drift in parking lots, canyon turnouts (or the middle of canyon roads) etc. You see tire marks from drifting everywhere there’s sufficient asphalt and no fuzz to bother you. People do it in the middle of the day in the canyons too, lol. The area where this happened is also on the edge of the area and notorious for people doing stupid shit in cars. It’s just about down the street from where Paul Walker and his buddy bought it.

If you go into the canyons, you can also find dents in the guardrail on every corner, and car and motorcycle parts littered everywhere. I’ve also come across cut open race leathers and discarded helmets from people that were medevaced, etc.. People have gone off the sides of cliffs, and when they go to recover the bodies they find other cars and bodies that had been there for years. It’s a free for all.

Apropos to this story, there’s a corner on Angeles Crest Highway called “Squid’s Leap” because of the number of riders that hit the guardrail and fly off the cliff. So maybe she was just practicing to become a typical LA squid but had too much enthusiasm. :eek:

The Todd likes this.
  5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

She should have paid extra for landing lessons.

The Todd likes this.
  6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Or an airbag/parachute suit

7. SuddenBraking

Gave new meaning to D-Air.

8. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I've been riding motorcycles 45 years...
    Just the mere fact of riding a motorcycle is life threatening...at any given moment.
    For a motorcycle racer to make fun of a young woman dying, IMO is in awfully poor taste.
    I've viewed about 15 fatal bike victims up close...it's nothing to make fun of, anymore than a racer limp & face down on the tarmac
    It heartbreaking every which way. No one can in all honesty tell me that the risk is anymore "stupid" than propelling yourself at 160 mph alongside other motorcycles............really now

It is what it is...either way.

Regarding another post above, Years ago, about I met a Forest Ranger up on Angeles Crest Hwy, He said he had been onsite for over 50 motorcycle deaths, yes 50 ! in only his tenure.
    That was in 1987..I'd hate to think what that number is today.. modern performance and the crowded roads.....Be careful out there.

5axis, Knotcher and Youpaiyou like this.
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I understand your sentiment. However, my initial post was not making fun of the young woman, or the fact that she died. I find it ridiculous that people seriously report that they are looking into the cause of death when Stevie Wonder could answer the inquiry.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

But could Helen Keller?

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Probably not. She wouldn't have heard the crash.

Sabre699 likes this.
  12. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

As a former MSF instructor, I second this.
    Just because you can ride a motorcycle, doesn't mean you can teach someone to ride.
    In fact, I sent both my son and wife to MSF, rather than teach them myself

Once a Wanker.. and TurboBlew like this.
  13. Youpaiyou

Youpaiyou Well-Known Member

+ 1000

This is the way.

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I would say she is at least partially to blame ...if we want to be honest about risk assessment. I dont know all the facts but its a shame really. Could have been a future club race competitor...

15. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I agree with both of you...with a small hedge. A competent rider with proper risk assessment skills and general skills as an "instructor" (even if not a MSF instructor) can absolutely teach someone how to ride.

I took my wife to a big empty parking lot, with her new Ninja 400, and taught her how to ride. Basically the exact same format used by the MSF. Then I sent her to the MSF course. I wanted her to be able to focus on the drills and principles while going through the MSF course, without having to think about the controls. I think new riders can get more out of the MSF course that way.

16. SuddenBraking

I did the same with a former boss of mine (and documented it here).

Obviously I'm biased, but I think he's better off with my teaching than he would've been with a two day MSF course working on his figure eights. Admittedly, 1 on 1 instruction for several hours isn't really comparable to a group MSF class.

17. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

This news article is a little different. It mentions the lady's friends doing stunts and her practicing stunts as well (but that may be a blanket generalization someone made). A picture of the crashed bike shows it's in 'stunt' mode though. I once taught a GF how to ride a 750 sportbike. It went well until it didn't. Had myself to blame since I knew better.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...unts-mall-parking-garage-California-dies.html

18. SGVRider

:flag:
    If I were an MSF instructor I’d send my wife and kids to the course as well. I think the structured environment is more conducive to learning, and there’s no ego or baggage like there might be trying to teach a family member.

A brand new and untrained rider isn’t qualified to conduct any sort of risk assessment. He or she must be presumed a total lack of understanding of a motorcycle’s capabilities and handling characteristics.

If someone is very young and lacks life experience that also decreases their ability to assess risk, and willingness to speak out about possible safety concerns.

If you choose to instruct someone, formally or not, risk assessment and management is 100% your duty alone. If someone isn’t capable of reasonable risk management and assessment, they have zero business training someone in a potentially deadly activity. If I were a lawyer, I think I’d weigh this as 99% instructor responsibility.

As for the jokes, I’ve made plenty of macabre poor taste jokes here and elsewhere myself so I can’t say anything. When I become worm food I hope someone will make a few terrible jokes in my honor. Maybe I’ll request in my will that a good Jewish roast master conduct the ceremony.

Of course the additional instruction beforehand helps if done properly. It’s suppemental instruction though, not primary. I think formal, structured training in a group environment is 100% necessary for every single rider.

19. SGVRider

If she were living in Reseda instead of Valencia she’s still be with us today.

20. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Just a regular reminder that there is no bottom to the level of stupidity present in certain societies and/or living situations.