1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRF 50 wheels for track

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by warclok, Jan 20, 2022.

1. warclok

warclok Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I have a 2016 CRF50 I got my older son. He’s been ripping on an Oset R and it’s almost time to upgrade.

Currently, the Honda has dirt tires but I’d like to buy another set of wheels so I can fit track tires. This way we can swap back and forth between dirt and track.

I’ve tried to find a solution, besides oem, what are you guys buying for 10 inch wheels with direct fitment etc?

I’m looking on eBay daily for oem, which I might end up doing, but figured I’d ask the pros here.

Thanks, Ruben

2. Poorna

Poorna Active Member

3. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Best Tire in My Opinion:
    Mitas MC-34 Scooter Tire 90/90-10 50P RACE Compound Super Soft (Amazon)

2nd best tire:
    Continental Zippy 1 Scooter Tires

Rims:

Piranha Replacement Black Front & Rear Alum Wheels Rims for Honda CRF50. 10" 10 Inch Xr50 Pit Bike Stock Style (Amazon)

The CRF-50 is actually a weapon. Great for parking lot drills, flat track and most mini orgs have races specifically for them. Once you get sorted there are some suspension upgrades and other neat go-fast tricks. My 13yo/14yo still rip theirs around the mini track as their "fun" chassis! (And the Groms hate it)

DmanSlam and warclok like this.
  4. warclok

Thanks for all the replies and advice, really appreciate it.

I went ahead and ordered wheels from TboltUSA and got their super moto shinko tires and tubes. I’ll try something stickier next time around, just wanted to grab everything from one shop this time.

Thanks again!!

Attached Files:

5. Poorna

Poorna Active Member

Let us know how the wheels work out.

warclok likes this.
  6. warclok

Hey guys, got the tires today, did I fuck up by getting a slightly bigger rear? Should I just get another front and use that for the rear….

I don’t want my boy to miss apexes like his old man

7. warclok

I believe the front is a 90/90-10 and the rear is a 100/80-10…

thanks for your help guys!!

8. FastByKids

You will be fine while he learns the ropes and comes up to speed. But those Shinto’s aren’t exactly confidence inspiring when pushed. I gave you links to some very decent tires.

warclok likes this.
  9. warclok

You know what, you’re right, gonna get the zippys!

thanks!

10. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

If you’re within an hour or so of Louisville or Cincinnati you can ride 50s indoors on gokart tracks. Turnouts are huge and it’s hilariously good fun.

Patrick Hannigan and warclok like this.
  11. warclok

thanks for the heads up, I’m in NJ but I think we have some options here.

I just ordered the zippy tires!!!

cBJr likes this.
  12. FastByKids

Do you race at these events?

13. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

It's typically a track day format, but they do an endurance race (maybe 2?) each year. I've done the normal days many times, but not every event like a lot of people.

14. FastByKids

Once we get our chassis back into legal format I might set my kids loose.

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Where are you going in NJ?

16. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Cool, it's a great time. They have classes for youth, beginner, intermediate a and b, and advanced. When they are in Cincy, there are two tracks run simultaneously. So, you're on track #1 for 15 minutes, then rest for 15, then on to track #2 for 15 minutes and repeat. Well, that's the schedule for int/adv. Youth and beginner share some of their time, but at least youth doesn't pay as much.

17. warclok

There is actually a track in Maryland called sandy hook speedway.

18. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I watched a 10yo, on a CRF50, destroy stock 100 riders at a couple of venues on track days. The shorter the track, the more damage the rider could do to the bigger bikes. It was impressive.

warclok and FastByKids like this.
  19. warclok

The tire shop wasn’t having fun with these zippys but it’s done. Can’t wait to see my kiddo rip at the track with me!!!

Attached Files:

20. FastByKids

It’s the hardest size to spoon on in my opinion.

warclok likes this.