1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any LS swap gurus?

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Nah. Either single or twin. I have a method to my madness.

part of me is like, just leave it stock, keep the boost low and let her eat.

then the other fucker on my other shoulder is like build that bitch to be undriveable

2. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Everythings been pretty much answered... I ran a 5.3 Turbo T56 in a foxbody a few years back. Monster twin disk....the most streetable clutch ive ever driven that can hold 800hp.

The newer LT stuff is a different crank and youd need a diff flywheel/clutch combo.

Boy did prices of used T56s shoot up last couple years. I remember i got a Camaro T56 for 1500 back in 2016. Now? 3K

If youre gonna stay N/A and are okay with 5spd, look into AR5 conversion kit. 480 bucks, and those trannies are in junkyards for $200 bucks. They wont hold up to drag racing turbo LSs but id seriously consider one for a budget build.
    Or a BMW getrag.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

4. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Depending on HP you make you can destroy a G body T56 fast.
    Put 9 in in it. I built my 78 El Dog in 99 Big Brake kit all way around using 2000 Z 28 brakes with mid 80s Vette rack. Pedals just make them because they are hard to find for stock ones and will wear out the Bolt running through it that holds pedal. I made a plate to mount Master cylinder that goes between the brake booster and firewall.
    I put 500,0000 on this setup before 06 and car has been parked and planning on rebuilding it for my oldest daughter before she takes possession of it next yr.
    I have a 355 small block in it and it ran 12.80s at 114.
    Steven

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  5. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

The monster twin disc setup is a stock Vette setup thats reboxed. Im waiting for LUK to offer that as a kit for my Caprice im building.
    But you are right it definitely works good and drives very good unlike other setups.

Steven

6. drop

drop Well-Known Member

My buddy is one of the head tech guys at tremec transmissions. They specialize in swaps. They would have any and everything you need.

7. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

When I did mine that stuff didn't exist so I had to do things the hard way. I actually put the 1st LS T56 behind a 2 piece rear main seal Small block in country when I was told it couldn't be done.
    Now its common practice.
    I am to cheap to buy the kits. Lol
    Takes away from my racing budget.

Steven