1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to Phoenix. Pool or nah?

Discussion in 'General' started by shakazulu12, Jan 12, 2022.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I just looked at the thermometer in mine. Just outside of DFW Texas, full sun from sunup until very late evening: 43 °

It reminds me of placer panning in the Colorado mountains every time I fish the chlorine floater out to put a coupla tabs in it.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

2. youngR

youngR Well-Known Member

love this. where you moved to?

3. swetngblts

swetngblts Well-Known Member

I never wanted a pool, thought it was alot of maintenance, until i bought a house with a pool. Its over 100 up to 112 for 3 months straight where im at and in the 90s for another 1-2 after that usually. We spend all summer in that thing. Get home from working outside all day and jump right in to cool off. In the 100 degree evening go out for a dip , come back in the house and youll be freezing at 75 degrees from your core temp dropping. You will use alot of chlorine in the summer, not a gallon every other day. In the winter theres nearly 0 maintenance as long as theres no dirt, tree debris or other stuff entering. Cover it if needed. With variable speed drive pumps the cost to run the system for 12-16 hours a day is negligable.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  4. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Chlorine use has a lot of drivers, so it's hard to find an average usage level that works for all people in all situations. SuddenB also uses store bleach which is only 5.5% Chlorine. My average use is ~ 1 gallon a week of 12%; but I monitor very regularly, and like it around 2 ppm. Hope you are doing well, Aaron. Come try our pool if you are in Sacto.

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

the science of dogshit.png

auminer likes this.
  6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

wife will love a pool.png

7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

It's actually 7.5%, if memory serves.

I've got some pool shock (14%) I'll use from Leslies when they have it in stock as well as it takes up less space to store it (and is slightly more cost effective).

8. dsapsis

Check the label -- almost all household bleach is between 5 and 6 percent.

9. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

10. auminer

11. dsapsis

Well, there you go, and thanks for that -- I should have included "typically" in my statement. It appears industry standard is now augmented by a concentrated version (Clorox has one too, it appears). It is still about 60% strength of typical pool bleach, so any recc for volumetric dosing should include it's Cl concentration, and what works for you with your water, your pool surface, your solar flux, your biological demand, AND your preferences for sanitation vs corrosion, there is no one answer.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Thanks for the bleach tip. I'd read about it before but figured I'd give it a whirl. By new pool has an automatic chlorinator that will hold I think 11 tabs at a time, but jump dumping a bottle of bleach in to shock is a handy tool to have.

It also sucks that the current state of things has caused chlorine to almost double in price since the mean tweets era.

13. auminer

I thought about posting the pumpkin solution to the loose stool problem but I didn't want to get too far off track. But since you've opened up that door...

If you notice your dog has diarrhea, or just consistently loose stools, then a dollop of canned pumpkin about the size of the big pad on the bottom of the individual dogs' foot will remedy that issue.

2x/day during diarrhea spells, 1x/day for maintenance.

14. swetngblts

Thanks. Hey Dave hows it? Dont get to Sac much unless were driving through to Zorans or headed to Thunderhill. Maybe well leave extra early sometime and stop by or meet somewhere.

15. swetngblts

Haha early on they were saying shortage of chlorine just like how people were raiding the toilet paper and water shelves. Couldnt find chlorine and if you could the price was astronomical. The price stayed high.

16. swetngblts

Leslies has got to be the worst company. They will have you draining your pool a couple times a year and selling you their starter kits.

i bought a pro kit and water swirler and do the testing myself. turns out the basic dunk strips do a pretty darn good job at the basics. mom and pops pool stores have the good stuff.

17. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Decided to go option C. Hot tub with a cold soak option. I'm one of those people that only has a gym membership to use the hot tub daily (have a garage gym) and just remodeled my backyard to get one in the current house before plans changed. I'll actually use this option every day, and thus won't mind maintaining it. Can use it with heat half the year and cold the other half.

Back to dog poop discussions

18. auminer

Rather shitty thread jack, eh? :crackup:

L8RSK8R and shakazulu12 like this.
  19. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Wait. You dive into other people's soiled bath water on purpose? At the gym?!!

20. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

It’s basically heated bleach. This solves that problem