1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Royal Enfield Himalayans: 2 out of 6 dead engines

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jan 13, 2022.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

First one went to the local dealer in September of 2020 with loud valve noises. 4,800 miles on the odo. Its still there. Waiting on parts. Started a lemon law lawsuit today. Dealer is Beartooth Harley-Davidson and they have refused to return my calls or give me updates during the last year and 4 months.

I have another one with about 6,000 miles that is smoking heavily but out of warranty. I'll have to replace the top end on my dime before I unload it on a new sucker.

Selling them off and sticking with KLRs for the rental fleet.

Guess they may have some manufacturing issues eh? Buyer beware!

2. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Well, I did not see that one coming. :rolleyes:

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Sorry to hear that.

The reason its not back from the Harley dealer is they are studying it to see how they can make something sound so bad ass to add to the Harley Experience.

:D

badmoon692008 and motion like this.
  4. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

How much for the 6000mi’er?

5. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

And there's your suc..... enthusiast.

MachineR1 and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

:crackup:

7. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

3F033E25-4803-44DB-8F7B-F158E423B555.jpeg

650 RACER, G2G, cha0s#242 and 3 others like this.
  8. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

IMG_20220113_224657.jpg Before the Tequila shots and diving into the empty pool.
    As a fellow Enfield owner...I suppose we knew this :timeforabeer:

Still pretty sure it's my favorite motorcycle...

motion likes this.
  9. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Don't like hearing this. I was thinking about picking up one of their 650's for a townie bike. The only Himalayan owner I know has ridden his all over the country. He is a motorcycle mechanic, which may come in handy for the brand.

10. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

They would make a tourist attraction laying at the bottom of any lake in the Bear Tooth Range :D

motion likes this.
  11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Rent bikes to fuck-tards and live to do major maintenance and Yelp about it.

motion likes this.
  12. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

I think Johnny Lewis has a fleet of them that he uses for his Flat Track schools. I wonder how his are holding up?

13. ChemGuy

Correct me if I wrong...but these are Indian (dot not feather) made Enfields right?

You know the Chinese laugh about how poor the Indian QC and process control is. :D

As far as KLR's...did they ever fix the doohicky or is that fix still required?

14. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

Wait, what? You sell bikes to suckers? :crackup:

motion likes this.
  15. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

It's ok. Suckers sell him stocks, so it evens out.

motion likes this.
  16. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

The seller isn't the sucker in that equation...

17. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

If I was in your shoes, I’d love hearing this now vs after buying one.

rd400racer likes this.
  18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Yes, made in India. There's a vid on Youtube of the factory in action cranking out bikes. Its a hoot! Guys running around in holy jeans and sandals whacking on shit with mallets. The Germans, they ain't.

The doohickey thing is mostly a myth that has been propagated via the internet. The truth is those tensioner springs are indeed weak, but engine damage or failure is very rare.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I had been told those KLR motors were like the old GS motors. Damn near indestructible and if you do manage to break one, all you need is a hammer, a screwdriver and and a set of channel locks to fix it.

pretty true about the GS motors.

ChemGuy likes this.
  20. ChemGuy

Disagree with part of that. It isnt the spring. Its the little adjuster device that they stamped and welded. When i lived in San Diego and commuted to TJ on my KLR....I did mine with a bunch of owners at a "tech day". We opened 4 or 5 bikes and all were cracked or broken in half. Mine was broken but it hadnt fallen apart yet due to the bolt holding both halves in.

If i ever bought another KLR that would be he first thing I did.

I do agree that motor issue/problems from this are rare. But its an easy swap...even with the oil in. Just lay it on its side..use some tires to prop it up if you want. Remove case cover and swap it out.