1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford, WAZE, and Apple conspiracy!

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Jan 10, 2022.

1. tpadden

tpadden Well-Known Member

I have same issue on my 2016 F150 when using CarPlay/waze. I’ve just learned to ignore it.

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

actually, HD speedos were usually pretty accurate. Easier to count to 50 than 150 I guess.....:eek:

Past Glory and pickled egg like this.
  3. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Here's your conspiracy: I was thinking about optimistic speedometers and realized that if a speedometer is optimistic then the odometer is also optimistic. That means that your car will get to the end of its mileage warranty before the true mileage. I don't think any OEM has any real interest in fixing optimistic speedometers for that reason.

Gino230 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  4. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

If I'm reading this correctly, his speedo isn't changing based on his phone being plugged in. The speedo is the consistent baseline. The phone app (Waze) is reading GPS information driving down the road and calculating speed differently based on whether it is plugged in (Apple CarPlay) or not.

I'd be interested to compare Waze in CarPlay to another app. I use one that is simply called "Speedometer" for my supermoto without a gauge cluster.

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

every R6 and 600 gixxer on Facebook does 186 MPH because of that

cxd10 and Sabre699 like this.
  6. BigBird

BigBird blah

IIRC and I thought the same, but for whatever reason the speedo can basically say anything within reason, but the odometer per federal law has to within a 1% or so. I can't find the verbiage right now, but sounds about right

7. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

It's plus or minus 5mph at 50mph. 10% is huge in terms of warranty coverage.
    Edit: That's the speedo requirement. I'm not sure how they can do them differently without some electronic shenanigans.
    Edit again: The federal law only applies to the odometer accuracy when selling a vehicle. (i.e. you can't legally turn back an odometer.)
    It doesn't apply to the accuracy as manufactured.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    BigBird likes this.
  8. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Nope, guys with motorcycles and cars have wondered this for a long time and people have done comparisons with known distances and the odometer is correct while the speedo is off.

Speedo can show you going faster but it cannot show you going slower than actual. If that was the case that would be the go-to excuse court time.

Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  9. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Unplug it from car play and the correct speed will show on Waze. It's a known problem. I have a 2018 stock and I have the same issue.

10. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

The Truck speedo is accurate. It matches with Waze when the bluetooth is off. It's when you plug in the phone and Apple Car Play displays Waze on the display, that the Waze indicated speed shows +10mph.

I was thinking it was something Ford did intentionally. Seems disappointing that it's just shitty programming. :crackup:

11. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I was thinking about that, especially with the F-150 being all aluminum- probably VERY expensive to fix.

12. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

You're correct. I've checked numerous car and motorcycle odometers over the years against interstate mile markers. The odometers are always very close while the speedos can vary significantly.

13. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Yeah the speedo is kinda separate, you can take that thing apart and position the needle where ever.

14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I doubt that excuse would work...."My speedo made me do it...". This could have been part of a Steve Martin SNL skit 40 years ago....

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That has not always been the case. There was a shop in downtown Raleigh that used to make good money documenting actual vs speedo readings back in the 70s (before digital). That was the first go to to try to get out of a ticket. Yes I'm ancient, fuck you, whippersnappers. The world did not begin when you were downloaded from your mother's vag.

YamahaRick likes this.
  16. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

The Waze through Android Auto in my Honda is spot on.