1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIR track changes

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jan 6, 2022.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

oh that's a given. the OEM intercooler is sandwiched behind the AC condenser and in front of the radiator. I'm FBO (full bolt-on), so that was done already with a CTS Direct Fit Intercooler, along with CSF Rad, and CSF DSG cooler. I left the aux oil cooler OEM for now.

Most turbo track cars, especially those under $60k need an intercooler.

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I would have hit that new Armco at the bottom of the hill (hogpen?) Went off the track under full steam, grass was wet, rear braking was problematic. Went all the way to the woods. It was all my stupidity and fault...still.

Shenanigans likes this.
  3. SWest122

SWest122 Well-Known Member

I would guess most of this is being driven by IMSA. Not sure about the front straight Armco. I’m thinking the T3 stuff is based off Jan Magnussens crash a few years ago during the GT race. Either way more walls is not cool for us bike guys

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

For sure. They mentioned motorcycle event directors so that's why I'm curious

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

first they had those high gator strips, and now more walls...less and less bike friendly. VIR is such an amazing track, it would be ashamed if bikes don't run there. Palmer which puckers me up in my car, have MC track days there...no way would you find me on 2 wheels on a track cut out of a mountain.

6. SWest122

SWest122 Well-Known Member

That would only leave MotoA. It will be interesting in May to see how the T3 walls are addressed.

noles19 likes this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I am the only person I know who never liked VIR. It combines most of what I hated, especially narrow-asked high-speed track with no curbs. Well, at least, 20 years ago. All it needed was bumps and nasty toilets, and I would have never set foot there a second time. :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    r6fast and cav115 like this.
  8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I was there. :(

9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I and another rider made contact going under the bridge to T7 in 2005. We both went down and I was rag dolling down the track at over 100 mph....took quite a while, but as I was slowing down and tumbling I could see the Armco...and I was about 18 inches from it when I came to a stop. The bike slid into the esses that connect the North and South courses as part of the Full course on the left Woodcraft engine cover. Never lost a drop of oil. Just needed a few parts and the bike was back and good to go. Woodcraft engine covers are the bomb diggity.

Hope WERA never races there and not that they ever got it, but the PRE crew won't get my money to ride that place with all the sharp edges around it.

10. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

It's really quite a shame. VIR was a favorite, especially T7 just past the bridge. I don't know why but a lot of guys didn't care for that turn and it opened up a lot of possibilities. Now T10 was my nemisis, never felt comfortable there. Pitt Race is owned by the same folks...hope they don't go ruining Pitt.

11. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Really? Never knew that. They've done amazing work at Pitt.

jksoft and OldGuyOnBlu like this.
  12. jeff johnson 32

jeff johnson 32 Well-Known Member

Kathy and Jim Stout are no longer the minority owners at VIR. I believe that change occurred in 2020 so they are Pittsburgh only and do a great job there.
    Also, the car guys that drive at VIR are not big fans of all the new Armco either.

Shenanigans and jksoft like this.
  13. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

He unretired and is racing in Daytona this weekend, so the trees may need this protection

dtalbott likes this.
  14. jeff johnson 32

jeff johnson 32 Well-Known Member

For anyone who is interested below are some new pictures. There is still plenty of runoff to the Armco on the front straight, but I sure wouldn't want to be out there especially if the grass is wet or damp. DSC01664 (2).JPG

DSC01666 (2).JPG DSC01668 (2).JPG

DSC01669 (2).JPG DSC01670 (2).JPG

DSC01671 (2).JPG

DSC01672 (2).JPG

BigBird likes this.
  15. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Going to take a metric shit-ton of air fence to cover that.

16. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Seriously, what in the fuck we're these idiots thinking?

17. noles19

That looks closer than I thought and it's probably even closer in person, that's scary

18. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

It's even closer at 100mph

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

All I could think was who in holy hell would think that crap was going to be okay.
    Not even the Imsa guys would want that.
    First that cheese grater curbing and now this. What next, pave the grass and paint it with that anti slip paint?

some one needs to lose their job over the screw ups lately.

20. noles19

Superbikes are going way faster than that through the kink

BigBird and Ducati89 like this.